Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jblackburn
Mein Auto: 330ci
Should I get servotronic on sDrive?

So I read the BMW description of servotronic and I seen lots of posts about it, but I'm still not sure if I want it. I do know servotronic on the sDrive isn't the same as servotronic on a xDrive. I'm planning on ordering a X1 sDrive very soon and that is the last option I'm not sure about. Currently:

Alpine White
M-Sport Package
Ultimate Package
Black Leather
Light Fineline
19" 225M wheels
Lighting package
Harmon Kardon Audio
Sirius Satellite radio

I prefer stiffer steering at high speed. My wife has a 2013 X3 with Dynamic Handling package so it has variable sport steering. I have a 2001 330ci with the steering rack that was replaced because the original one was so light (I'm sure some of you remember the warranty replacements of those).

There were no sDrive cars when I went to test drive. I test drove a xDrive in a pouring rainstorm last weekend and liked the steering - it had servotronic.

Can someone who has driving both on an sDrive comment on it?
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 PM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
If you liked the xDrive you probably won't like the sDrive EPS, with or without the servotronic option.

Last edited by nospam; 12-30-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X1 s28i & '12 X3 35i
The X3 has EPS....I suspect the X1 s28i Servotronic option would be similar to your X3's.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
BJB

Mein Auto: X1
the x1 in RWD (s drive) has electric steering not hydraulic which is in the awd version (mine).
i had a x3 as a loaner which has electric steering. it feels VERY light compared to the x1 awd. sure i could get used to it but the steering feel was one of the things that brought me to the bmw in the first place. I personally prefer the feel of the hydraulic but that's my opinion
i would suggest seeing if the dealer has a x3 with servotronic as that might be comparable.
also if you are fully loading vehicle, be sure to get backup camera (mine was on lot and had the wood trim and chrome trim but no b/u camera). to quote frank caliendo doing dr phil, what were they thinking?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:35 AM

The ultimate package includes the driver assistance package and that has the backup camera. Backup camera is now a must have option.

I really don't want to get xDrive. Don't want the complexity, initial expense, or fuel expense for something that I won't use. In the last 12 years of having the 330ci, I never thought "these driving conditions really need all wheel drive". I don't go to the snow and I'm never forced to travel in bad weather and I can always use the x3 if necessary.

I'm ok spending $250 for servotronic, but I'm not going to spend $1700 for xDrive. But I don't want servotronic if it makes the steering lighter at high speed.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 AM

Servotronic tightens steering at higher speed.

The X1's EPS is not equivalent to variable sport steering (EPS+) as it is not adjustable (ECO, Comfort, Sport, Sport+). Perhaps they will add EPS+ as an option for the 2014 model. I like the EPS+ in my parents' F30 328i.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:28 PM

>>>>Servotronic tightens steering at higher speed.>>>>

That is the info I'm looking for.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i 2012
It's a good idea if you drive at high speeds. Other than that you don't need it. Got the sport 2012 335i. Love the car but the ECU went bad : ( things happen. The bmw is not as stable in curves at high speeds ass the c350 but I love the look. Other problem is the black exhaust pipe right side burns up paint they should have went with chrome pipe and last but not least off set rims and tires. Don't buy this car if you worry about gas prices. BMW 335i or C350 no difference ur choice turbo or cubic inches. If u go with turbo keep oil in car turbo burns it up depending on how u drive. And I drive my car fast. Only Mercedes offers legal tuning of the ECU meaning no governor. My 2008 C300 smoked C350 and 335i
Yeah they got off to a good start but at 250km they had to move out the way of my C300 : ) 271km
Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 PM

Amadeuss36 are you sure you are in the right thread? Forum?