Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM
X5 Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2005 X5
Brake replacement

Hey everyone,
I'm going to replace my brake pads and rotors, and I wanted to see if the set up that I was going to buy was recommended. I've posted the links below. Thanks in advance.

Rotors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J...r-L&ref=plSrch

I haven't decided on pads, I have heard a lot of good reviews for Akebono Euro pads, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!!'
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Yes, Zimmerman and Akebono is all you need and OEM sensor = Done!

Many have asked this questions and it always comes down to this combination.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 13' BMW X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis61 View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm going to replace my brake pads and rotors, and I wanted to see if the set up that I was going to buy was recommended. I've posted the links below. Thanks in advance.

Rotors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004J...r-L&ref=plSrch

I haven't decided on pads, I have heard a lot of good reviews for Akebono Euro pads, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks!!'
Depends what you want.
Zimmerman as OEM replacement? Yeah.
Akebono as OEM replacement? NO!
Akebono will dust less, but you will loose initial bite and performance.
So if your first priority is stopping power, get OEM, Pagid/Textar, ATE.
If you do not care about performance, get Akebono.
I personally think they are POS.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Brakes are like oil and tires. Opinion vary.
Went with Akebono on E46 recently and I have no complaints.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:59 PM
X5 Fanatic

Ok thanks guys
Old 06-22-2016, 06:00 PM
Among the Proud

Mein Auto: X5 3.0si
My indy shop is trying to sell me on Textar pads & rotors which is obviously reputable. I told him my concern is brake dust too and he said the ones that came on our vehicles were lower quality Textar whereas they will get the latest top tier and dust should be less - he even went into describing the graphite shaving issue so he sounds like he knows what I meant. What would you guys do? I don't really see a huge difference in cost, as he estimated nearly $1k for the job, and if I buy Akebono/Zimmerman myself, it's $400 labor at any shop on top of $550 in parts.

Also I have another question. I notice on sites like partsgeek they list separate rotors (difference being size(?)) for the 3.0si vs. the 4.8i. Shouldn't the larger rotors fit the 3.0si also, if I wanted them?
Coded: Digital speedo, 5-blink signal, Windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

-> more pics at Flickr <-

Last edited by rh71; 06-22-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:29 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
Size difference in width or diameter? Either seems to require a different caliper/mounting.

My HPV tricycle has disc brakes, and I carried my calipers from the previous one which had smaller rotors. Obviously my ICE mounts the calipers for a different diameter.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:10 PM
Among the Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Size difference in width or diameter? Either seems to require a different caliper/mounting.

My HPV tricycle has disc brakes, and I carried my calipers from the previous one which had smaller rotors. Obviously my ICE mounts the calipers for a different diameter.
Looks like both width & diameter:
for 4.8i: Zimmerman Brake Disc Rear (345 X 24 mm)
for 3.0si: Zimmerman Brake Disc Rear (320 X 20 mm)
Coded: Digital speedo, 5-blink signal, Windows/sunroof/tailgate close via keyfob

Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
My indy shop is trying to sell me on Textar pads & rotors which is obviously reputable. I told him my concern is brake dust too and he said the ones that came on our vehicles were lower quality Textar whereas they will get the latest top tier and dust should be less - he even went into describing the graphite shaving issue so he sounds like he knows what I meant. What would you guys do? I don't really see a huge difference in cost, as he estimated nearly $1k for the job, and if I buy Akebono/Zimmerman myself, it's $400 labor at any shop on top of $550 in parts.

Also I have another question. I notice on sites like partsgeek they list separate rotors (difference being size(?)) for the 3.0si vs. the 4.8i. Shouldn't the larger rotors fit the 3.0si also, if I wanted them?
LOL, lower tier.
BMW's are supplied by several manufacturers mostly Pagid, Textar, ATE and for M models Brembo calipers/rotors and Pagid pads.
X5's were coming with Pagid OEM pads, and recently Textar bought Pagid. SO you might get in Textar box Pagid pads (it happened).
As for dust, it is consequence of BMW's pursue of performance NOT less dusting. Rule of thumb, unless it is combination of Cermic/Kevlar pads AND rotors (Ferrari, Porsche, M models, some AMG), all high performance pads WILL dust. From performance point of view you are getting best quality pad. Textar does have in offer pad that has ceramic particles, and dust less, but be ready to give up on some initial bite. I had on VW Akebono, used them for 2K, and throw them in the trash!
While Akebono will not produce dust, it will eat away your rotor.
You can find Pagid pads for like $67 online. Textar are going for like $88. I would buy those before Akebono any day.
If dust is main concern, then Akebono is solution.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:29 PM
X5 Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
LOL, lower tier.
BMW's are supplied by several manufacturers mostly Pagid, Textar, ATE and for M models Brembo calipers/rotors and Pagid pads.
X5's were coming with Pagid OEM pads, and recently Textar bought Pagid. SO you might get in Textar box Pagid pads (it happened).
As for dust, it is consequence of BMW's pursue of performance NOT less dusting. Rule of thumb, unless it is combination of Cermic/Kevlar pads AND rotors (Ferrari, Porsche, M models, some AMG), all high performance pads WILL dust. From performance point of view you are getting best quality pad. Textar does have in offer pad that has ceramic particles, and dust less, but be ready to give up on some initial bite. I had on VW Akebono, used them for 2K, and throw them in the trash!
While Akebono will not produce dust, it will eat away your rotor.
You can find Pagid pads for like $67 online. Textar are going for like $88. I would buy those before Akebono any day.
If dust is main concern, then Akebono is solution.

So you would recommend Zimmermann rotors and Pagid OEM pads?
Old 06-22-2016, 09:43 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Personally I do the zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads, amazonm prime.

To be 100% honest, the X5 is wife driven 99% of the time. Ive not noticed any pad issues nor has she, BUT- nobody presses that car hard. So I cannot speak to any performance trade offs. She hasnt had any accidents though.... edycol and I are at odds over this one recommendation, so I'll leave it at that.

As a side note, my akebonos are NOT 'dust free'...maybe less than OE but still a mess. I also only have experience with Akeas on the X5. (I wonder if different fitments mgiht show different results with Akebono? Dunno) The M5 runs stoptech/centrics and the Pcar runs OE porsche.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Brake replacement

Newer BMW models generate a lot less dust, I don't want to say none, but a lot less. Started noticing it with our MINI Countryman that preceded the X5 (bought new but disappointing car so bailed after a few month.). Was a little surprised by lack of brake dust but no one on MINI forum seemed to want to start a debate over it and neither did I.
Then when SO ordered his 4 series and wanted the bizillion spoke luxury line wheel and natural brown leather (only way to get that color interior last year), I told myself I was going to be spending hours cleaning those wheels. It became very clear after a couple of hours on autobahn that BMW had also switched to low dust pads. Not sure who makes the pads or what they're made of, but the brakes are not the car's weak point.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 06-22-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis61 View Post
So you would recommend Zimmermann rotors and Pagid OEM pads?
If you by OEM BMW pads you will not know who made them unless you peel off silence pad.
From price stand point, I personally would get Pagid or Textar. They are cheaper then OEM and perform same. They probably made that OEM pad, but you do not get BMW logo on pad.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Personally I do the zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads, amazonm prime.

To be 100% honest, the X5 is wife driven 99% of the time. Ive not noticed any pad issues nor has she, BUT- nobody presses that car hard. So I cannot speak to any performance trade offs. She hasnt had any accidents though.... edycol and I are at odds over this one recommendation, so I'll leave it at that.

As a side note, my akebonos are NOT 'dust free'...maybe less than OE but still a mess. I also only have experience with Akeas on the X5. (I wonder if different fitments mgiht show different results with Akebono? Dunno) The M5 runs stoptech/centrics and the Pcar runs OE porsche.
Yes, we disagree here. But, I have to say that I do Pikes Peak run with my cars (did not do yet with X5) and I will buy best possible performing pad regardless of dust, so on VW for example OEM pads for me are not enough and replaced them with Brembo rotors and EBC red stuff on Tiguan and on my previous car, CC I Had Brembo rotors and EBC Yellow stuff pad (track pad).
So I am not into no dust ceramic pads.
Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Newer BMW models generate a lot less dust, I don't want to say none, but a lot less. Started noticing it with our MINI Countryman that preceded the X5 (bought new but disappointing car so bailed after a few month.). Was a little surprised by lack of brake dust but no one on MINI forum seemed to want to start a debate over it and neither did I.
Then when SO ordered his 4 series and wanted the bizillion spoke luxury line wheel and natural brown leather (only way to get that color interior last year), I told myself I was going to be spending hours cleaning those wheels. It became very clear after a couple of hours on autobahn that BMW had also switched to low dust pads. Not sure who makes the pads or what they're made of, but the brakes are not the car's weak point.
Drove recently 335i, and I find on E90 335i better bite. Interesting, in Europe they still dust like in good ole days.
I think BMW is addressing specific requirements of the U.S. market.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 48i
I just completed front/rear brake job, Textar Epads and Zimmerman rotors. I'll report back on braking performance and dust in a few weeks.
Old 06-23-2016, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Ive run the akes w zimmermans on my e53 x5 and it was more than fine with little to no dust, on my 750 stock rotors ake pads partially a bit less initial bite but still fine and no dust. Current e70 will get zimmerman/akes when my free maint runs out.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather,20"4.6rims.
e65 750I aw, sport. 21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20"rennen forged,tune,exh,intake.
w221 S550 amg,dia white,5%3m tint.20"s63rims,lwrd
e70 3.5 aw.mtec, powdr blk whls.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
You can try RockAuto for the PowerStop kits. They are priced nice and have 5 star reviews on amazon. Amazon sells the kit for 225 vs rockauto for 170

http://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=1446229&parttype=13824
Old 06-27-2016, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 328i,X5 35d, 528i
Akebonos came with my x5. Have them in front and pagid or oem on the rears. No dust is nice. I don't see any difference in gripping power from my x5 and 528 with all oem. I rented a toyota a couple of weeks ago and nearly rear ended someone as the car didn't stop as planned! Happened on two different rentals actually. I'm getting spoiled, i think... So Akebono's are just fine, a little pricey as far as I'm concerned. Zimmerman makes good rotors too.
Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM
Among the Proud

No one else using Textar rotors? Any benefit to matching brands with pads/rotors? Of course Textar's site says it "compliments the wear and friction performance of Textar pads".

I have a feeling if I do Textar rotors & pads, I will just end up the same as stock (dust too).

Last edited by rh71; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
mix what ever u want its mostly the same. Get the akebono pads and be done with dust they stop perfect.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather,20"4.6rims.
e65 750I aw, sport. 21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20"rennen forged,tune,exh,intake.
w221 S550 amg,dia white,5%3m tint.20"s63rims,lwrd
e70 3.5 aw.mtec, powdr blk whls.
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto: 328i,X5 35d, 528i
Textar is a friction products company. They may have a cast iron foundry but I doubt it. Likely rebranding. I don't know for sure but that's what I would suspect. If you live in a road salt state, the coatings are important to avoid have hunks of rust behind your nice wheels.
Old Today, 04:55 AM
Footballer88

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5 4.8i
I'm soon due to front pads replacement, never did one before since u never kept a car long enough to do one.

Do I need to replace anything else other than the pads? Do I have to do the rear too, if the sensor indicates 6k km left while the front have only 410km?

From what I read, it seems I have to replace a few more components

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

2015 -- Silver 2007 BWM X5 4.8i
2014 -- Black 2014 Ford Fusion SE Ecoboost 1.5L traded
2013 -- Black 2010 Dodge Nitro SXT 3.7L sold
2013 -- White 2013 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0L wife car
2012 -- Blue 2003 Mercedes Kompressor 2.0L sold
2010 -- Beige 2008 Mazda Tribute 3.0L sold
2009 -- Blue 2003 Mazda Protege5 2.0L sold
2005 -- Silver 1995 Volvo 960 wagon 3.0L totalled

-- High Speed, Low Drag --
Old Today, 05:48 AM
Among the Proud

^ video guide:

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search