Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: VW CC
On market for X5 35d

Hello guys and girls,

This is my first post.
I was always big fan of BMW's, but never had financial resources to buy one with low mileage in good condition.
Now time has come to upgrade garage, so shooting for 2012 X5 35d with up to 40-50,000 miles on it.
Although I am not big fan of SUV or SAV vehicles, wife is determined to get 7 seater because of plans to expand family, picking up visitors at airport etc.
Personally, I would get 335i with stick, but this is a compromise (her mom suggested to get Honda Pilot, and I said that I will ban her from visiting us if she ever come up with suggestion like that again).
I am DYI guy, brake change, oil, filters, other stuff that do not require special tools, I am fine with it and actually, love to do it.
So, I want 35d, due to the torque since it is heavy vehicle and not a sports car.
However, I have doubts about third row. Now, please follow me. People who would use third row are all up to 5.5 (my wife is 5ft, asian, so her and her family). I drove one like two months ago, but no third row so I cannot figure out is third row decent for someone up to 5.5-5.6?
Also, while I always claimed that BMW's in-line six is best thing after sliced bread, are there any issues?
I am familiar with oils, what oils go in etc. But is there anything to pay attention when I go to check vehicle. I will get CPO though, but this car would be long term solution.
Thanx everyone.

Last edited by edycol; 07-08-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2015, 03:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to vetaldj
Mein Auto: 2015 VW eGolf
Well, if you think you need 3rd for visitors - go for it (plus - wife wants it, that's a big reason, she will eventually get it anyway so why to resist ). If you see that seat you may change your mind but, you will regret it afterward. Small or not it's still seat.

I didn't not take it as I though it's quit small and after we got second kid and needs to drive 2 adults and 2 kids besides me I almost pull the trigger to upgrade it to one with it. But I can't do it for now... Yes, it's small, but trust me, better sit there then between 2 car seats in the back.
When time will come I will take 7 seat-er for sure...

My 2 cents, you are the one with final decision but

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 07-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: E90 M3; '12 X5 Diesel
I have an X5 with a 3rd row. The 3rd row is tight and should only be used for short trips, kids up to about 12 y/o and/or people that are less than 5'5" 130 lbs.

I'm not even sure if you can fit booster seats or car seats in the 3rd row.

Only way for you to test it out is go to a BMW dealership and look for a used E70 X5 with 3rd row and do a test sit.

If you find yourself needing to transport 6-7 people constantly for long distances, you should consider:

1. Audi Q7 TDI (also has a similar problem, but a bit more room)
2. Infiniti JX/Nissan Pathfinder (best 3rd row SUV I've seen)
3. Honda Pilot
4. GMC Yukon LX (or other GM/Chevy/Caddy equivalent)
5. Toyota Highlander Hybrid
6. van

Not all these choices will get better gas mileage, but most will match the X5d's mileage.

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-08-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I have an X5 with a 3rd row. The 3rd row is tight and should only be used for short trips, kids up to about 12 y/o and/or people that are less than 5'5" 130 lbs.

I'm not even sure if you can fit booster seats or car seats in the 3rd row.

Only way for you to test it out is go to a BMW dealership and look for a used E70 X5 with 3rd row and do a test sit.

If you find yourself needing to transport 6-7 people constantly for long distances, you should consider:

1. Audi Q7 TDI (also has a similar problem, but a bit more room)
2. Infiniti JX/Nissan Pathfinder (best 3rd row SUV I've seen)
3. Honda Pilot
4. GMC Yukon LX (or other GM/Chevy/Caddy equivalent)
5. Toyota Highlander Hybrid
6. van

Not all these choices will get better gas mileage, but most will match the X5d's mileage.
Thanx. I am European, so I grew up with these cars, and will drive them in future. Also, I live at 6,800ft altitude, driving always to ski to altitude of 10-11,000ft, and turbo plays big role here.
Audi is an option. I checked one, and 3rd row is decent, but 406 torque in 5,600lbs is def not 425lbs in X5. Granted, I like Q7 bcs it has coolant temp gauge and oil dipstick, big things in my vocabulary, but then it is not inline 6 . Also, comparable Q7 goes for 4-5,000 more.
Problem is, I cannot find any X5 in Colorado with 3rd row to go and check it.
Edit: there is no way I would drive van, plus I need AWD with good dynamics.
Any other advices? How is your doing?

Last edited by edycol; 07-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
Well, if you think you need 3rd for visitors - go for it (plus - wife wants it, that's a big reason, she will eventually get it anyway so why to resist ). If you see that seat you may change your mind but, you will regret it afterward. Small or not it's still seat.

I didn't not take it as I though it's quit small and after we got second kid and needs to drive 2 adults and 2 kids besides me I almost pull the trigger to upgrade it to one with it. But I can't do it for now... Yes, it's small, but trust me, better sit there then between 2 car seats in the back.
When time will come I will take 7 seat-er for sure...

My 2 cents, you are the one with final decision but
Yeah, she wants 7seater, so why arguing it, I already lost that argument
Did you have any major issues with your X5?
Thanx for your 2 cents!

Last edited by edycol; 07-08-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:16 PM

Oh I forgot, if you must stick with European cars, there's always the MB GL320 or R320 Bluetec

There's also the Ford/Lincoln Expedition/Navigator

Personally, I would choose the Highlander Hybrid after the X5. My runner up would be the Q7 or GL.

here are a few more options:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...three-row-suvs

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ow_crossovers/
Old 07-08-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Oh I forgot, if you must stick with European cars, there's always the MB GL320 or R320 Bluetec

There's also the Ford/Lincoln Expedition/Navigator

Personally, I would choose the Highlander Hybrid after the X5. My runner up would be the Q7 or GL.

here are a few more options:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...three-row-suvs

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ow_crossovers/
Def will check Q7. Not big fan of Mercedes, especially bcs it has air suspension (fine now, what about 10 yrs from now?).
Wife is 5ft, not very good driver, so I know Gl would be problem for her when she drives (although that would be rear occasion since she has Tiguan).
My original idea was Highlander and on a side 135i to address my mid age crisis (no kidding, I always wanted small BMW with inline 6 and stick), but roads here are soooo bad that I know I would get pissed driving it here.
Then there is an issue of performance on high altitude without turbo.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:43 PM

135i is a twin turbo I-6 btw. The X5 with a 3rd row has a self leveling air suspension in the rear, FYI.

If your wife can't deal with large cars, don't even bother with the Q7, it's larger han the X5. I think the smallest you can go with a 3rd row is likely an X5 or Mazda CX9 . (BTW one of the articles I gave you is dated in 2007, so some of those cars are already in the next generation form)

Here's the MT Large SUV comparo:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Here's the luxury diesel comparo (none of these has a 3rd row):
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...uv_comparison/

MT's SUV of the year comparo:
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...s/viewall.html

You'll see why I love the GMCs and Ford/Lincolns. They're just nice and large SUVs, but horrible on MPGs

Last edited by Flying Ace; 07-08-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
135i is a twin turbo I-6 btw. The X5 with a 3rd row has a self leveling air suspension in the rear, FYI.

If your wife can't deal with large cars, don't even bother with the Q7, it's larger han the X5. I think the smallest you can go with a 3rd row is likely an X5 or Mazda CX9 . (BTW one of the articles I gave you is dated in 2007, so some of those cars are already in the next generation form)

Here's the MT Large SUV comparo:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Here's the luxury diesel comparo (none of these has a 3rd row):
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...uv_comparison/

MT's SUV of the year comparo:
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...s/viewall.html

You'll see why I love the GMCs and Ford/Lincolns. They're just nice and large SUVs, but horrible on MPGs
Yeah, 135 is turbo, but what I wanted to say is that I would have hard time driving it on these pot holes in Colorado Springs. I never saw this in my life, and I have visited places like Moldova.
So, decided that I would go with SUV, but to get some kind of satisfaction (i like using back roads when I go to ski bcs of curves and scenery) I decided to go with X5 or Q7. Now, I did not know that x5 comes with air suspension in the back with 3rd row. That gives me something to think about. American SUV's? no way, I drove them a lot when I had one job, as rentals, not really fan, plus MPG is horrible as you said. I was even considering Dodge Durango since it has really nice interior, ZF 8 speed, but engines are not something (no diesel in Durango).
I think you are right, she would def have problem with Q7, that is one of the reasons why I am going for X5. When it comes to Mazda, I like them, owned Millenia when I was a student, but what I found about 3.7ltr (Ford) that is is serious gas guzzler.
Honda Pilot is really good with space, my mother in law has it, and that is only thing that is good with that car. Now, 3rd row for us is not THE most important thing. I was wondering if it would be OK based on your experiences to do 2hr drive with one person or two in 3rd row. It is something that would be used probably 3-4 times a year.
But thanx a lot. Your opinion helps a lot.
On the other hand, did you have any major mechanical/electrical issues?
Old 07-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
I was in the situation as well recently. I went to test drive the Q7 TDI and loved the interior space versus the X5 35d. But the wife drives the car 95% of the time and her work's parking lot is tight. We went with the 2013 X5 35d with the 3rd row, sports package, premium, tech package, and premium audio. So far no issues with fitting 2 boosters and a car seat in the back seat. The 3rd is tight compared with the Q7 or 2014 MDX (previous car).
Old 07-08-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmo924 View Post
I was in the situation as well recently. I went to test drive the Q7 TDI and loved the interior space versus the X5 35d. But the wife drives the car 95% of the time and her work's parking lot is tight. We went with the 2013 X5 35d with the 3rd row, sports package, premium, tech package, and premium audio. So far no issues with fitting 2 boosters and a car seat in the back seat. The 3rd is tight compared with the Q7 or 2014 MDX (previous car).
Any pics of how you made all those boosters and car seats work?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M5, 00 Z3, 12 X5 35d
I found this a little while ago when asking myself the same question.

http://www.thecarcrashdetective.com/...s-bmw-x5.html/

As far as 3rd row, you cant put an infant/car seat back there for safety reasons, BMW does not condone it, but I think boosters are ok.

Quote:
Old 07-09-2015, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: none
3rd row seats and you forgo the spare tire option
Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nizmo924 View Post
Yeah, it actually boggles my mind, since I want this to be long term vehicle. I am maintenance freak, love to do stuff, so I have no problems keeping cars for a long period of time. So, if I make mistake with too small of a seats then it is a problem. While Q7 space is really good, as well as 3rd row, it is more expensive and engine/dynamic is definitely not on par with X5. However, in my case, I would be driving this car probably 99.99% of the time.
Also, we will use 3rd row like 4-5 times a year at maximum. But then again, if we really need it then it is a problem.
I actually found one in Denver, 35i, but has 3rd row, so I will go to check the space, but will wait until some good 35d comes. If wife is OK with space I am fine with it. Personally, could not care more whether her sister will have enough space when she visit us, she actually deserves it

Last edited by edycol; 07-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d 428i
Fun discussion about the wife, the mother in law, and now the sister.

OK, so I ended up with a 35d with third row. I was not looking for the third row seat and actually would have preferred a five seater so I could carry a spare in the storage compartment that gets eliminated with the third row option. Also would have preferred standard suspension, but since my car was one year old with 10k miles had all my must haves and was $25k less than new, beggars can't be choosers...

My opinions on third row are mixed. No kids here - now or ever - but dogs and visitors. We've thrown the dogs in the third row when we had five people in the car. They survived. We also did a birthday celebration weekend in wine country with a lot of friends and used the third row for humans. We had seven mostly active / fit but not small 40-50 somethings in the car. No complaints at the beginning and after a couple of wineries no one cared either.

Based on the info you provided, I would say the X5d would be a great choice. That engine at elevation behaves very well. I am in Reno Tahoe about 50% of the time and the diesel is outstanding climbing up mountain passes. If the back row is intended to only be used very occasionally then it will work. My mantra is if you are going to b!tch about climbing in the back row of my car, drive your own and if you're visiting open your wallet and rent one.

Lastly, if the diesel and third row are your must haves, take your time and don't compromise. I have found that when shopping used, you need to have a list of must haves, nice to haves, deal breakers. Anything on deal breaker list kicks it out. The shorter the must have and deal breaker lists are the easier it will be to find the right car, but it may take time and you may have to travel to get it. Good luck with your search.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 50i, '13 Prius C4
3rd row

FWIW, over the july 4th long weekend, we made a 500-mile trip with 4 adults and 2 toddlers in my X5, with my wife in the 3rd row. She is about 5'3 and she did just fine. For occasional use, I'd say the 3rd row is a life saver. We're planning to drive to California and back later in the summer.

Here's a 2012 CPO 3rd row in the market for a long time, and is currently at $34K:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171850623705

Has dropped more than $5K since the time it was listed.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
We fit 2 Front-facing toddler car seats (next to each other) and an adult in the 2nd row. You'll need slim profile car seats such as the sunshine radian (about $300), or Cosco Scenera ($40 -- yes, that's right, and it seems highly rated). I went with 2 cosco sceneras, and got the job done. I'll try to snap a pic for you later today.

Boosters should be ok in the 3rd row. The 3rd row lacks a tether point, so any car seat that has an upper tether is not recommended in the 3rd row (the cargo anchors apparently should not be used as car seat tethers). Booster seats, AFAIK, don't have an upper tether, so they should be fine.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Fun discussion about the wife, the mother in law, and now the sister.

OK, so I ended up with a 35d with third row. I was not looking for the third row seat and actually would have preferred a five seater so I could carry a spare in the storage compartment that gets eliminated with the third row option. Also would have preferred standard suspension, but since my car was one year old with 10k miles had all my must haves and was $25k less than new, beggars can't be choosers...

My opinions on third row are mixed. No kids here - now or ever - but dogs and visitors. We've thrown the dogs in the third row when we had five people in the car. They survived. We also did a birthday celebration weekend in wine country with a lot of friends and used the third row for humans. We had seven mostly active / fit but not small 40-50 somethings in the car. No complaints at the beginning and after a couple of wineries no one cared either.

Based on the info you provided, I would say the X5d would be a great choice. That engine at elevation behaves very well. I am in Reno Tahoe about 50% of the time and the diesel is outstanding climbing up mountain passes. If the back row is intended to only be used very occasionally then it will work. My mantra is if you are going to b!tch about climbing in the back row of my car, drive your own and if you're visiting open your wallet and rent one.

Lastly, if the diesel and third row are your must haves, take your time and don't compromise. I have found that when shopping used, you need to have a list of must haves, nice to haves, deal breakers. Anything on deal breaker list kicks it out. The shorter the must have and deal breaker lists are the easier it will be to find the right car, but it may take time and you may have to travel to get it. Good luck with your search.
Hey, yeah it is fun discussion. You know how is with in laws. Her mom has Honda Pilot, they think it is best thing after sliced bread. To make a point, her dad did not know where is parking brake in Pilot until I showed him, so go figure how I react when they pitch in opinion about cars. Wife is actually very easy, she already knows what is turbo, torque etc. It is indoctrination process Funny thing, wife is really against van, and Q7 looks to her like station wagon (true) so she also inclines toward BMW, but it is concerned about space. So trying to balance a lot of stuff here.
I think you have a point, it will be used occasionally and for me I would like to have M seats and HK sound system. Can I survive without it? Yes, but it would be nice. Also, trying to find one with M seats and 18" wheels since roads here are horrible, and 19" and 20" would just work against suspension. Also, I drive a lot through snow storms, so narrower the tire, the better it is. When it comes to high elevation, there is NO compromise there. Car MUST have turbo, preferably diesel. I have now VW CC with 2.0T and she drives VW Tiguan with 2.0T. Effortless driving on mountain passes that are some 12,500ft high while some Chevy Suburban with 5.3 V8 is on the verge to die.

Last edited by edycol; 07-09-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
FWIW, over the july 4th long weekend, we made a 500-mile trip with 4 adults and 2 toddlers in my X5, with my wife in the 3rd row. She is about 5'3 and she did just fine. For occasional use, I'd say the 3rd row is a life saver. We're planning to drive to California and back later in the summer.

Here's a 2012 CPO 3rd row in the market for a long time, and is currently at $34K:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171850623705

Has dropped more than $5K since the time it was listed.

Good luck with your search.
Hey,

thanx! I saw that one on Auto Trader and saved it. It really fits my needs. It has M seats, but not M suspension and 18" wheels. Since I Run two sets of tires regardless of AWD, that saves money. I am waiting to finish some commitments, so probably going on market in September, definitely want to buy car before November since I do not want to spend money on new winter tires for my VW.

Last edited by edycol; 07-09-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Hey,

thanx! I saw that one on Auto Trader and saved it. It really fits my needs. It has M seats, but not M suspension and 18" wheels. Since I Run two sets of tires regardless of AWD, that saves money. I am waiting to finish some commitments, so probably going on market in September, definitely want to buy car before November since I do not want to spend money on new winter tires for my VW.
It is a pretty good one for mileage, features and price, considering it's CPO'ed.

I doubt this car will stay around for much longer. AFAIK, it has already been on the market for > 1 month. You may need to move sooner if you like this car.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwx5er View Post
It is a pretty good one for mileage, features and price, considering it's CPO'ed.

I doubt this car will stay around for much longer. AFAIK, it has already been on the market for > 1 month. You may need to move sooner if you like this car.
Me too, but refinancing some property in CA, so cannot make any substantial purchases until I am done.
Hopefully something will pop out in the meantime.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Me too, but refinancing some property in CA, so cannot make any substantial purchases until I am done.
Hopefully something will pop out in the meantime.
I would move on this fast, we all understand, mo money mo problems.

Make sure you to call in and check the CPO expiry date to ensure it's correct. Make sure you're aware of all the new CPO transfer rules
Old 07-09-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
I would move on this fast, we all understand, mo money mo problems.

Make sure you to call in and check the CPO expiry date to ensure it's correct. Make sure you're aware of all the new CPO transfer rules
Yeah, never owned BMW in the U.S., so ned to check that. I am pretty good I think when it comes to checking all details, plus I always go and drive car to my home, so if there are any issues, they will come out immediately.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1436494995.303216.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	282.8 KB
ID:	518665Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1436495012.307179.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	518667

Here are a few pics of how the car seats are set up in the back.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 PM

So, I found one in Denver with 3rd row, went with wife so check it out. I wanted her to see 3rd row, if it is OK with her,she cannot say later: oh this is small. Anyway, she is OK with it.
Now, in talks with salesman he tells me new CPO does not cover seals and gaskets since by new rules that is standard maintenance. I mean WTF is that?
This one is bit pricy for us, but wanted her to check. Now, you guys own these cars, I always loved bimmers. My brother had E60 525d in Europe, never had issues until car burned because dealer did not change wiring in trunk that was on a recall.
So any issues with gaskets, leaks, seals?