Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2008
Wheels question...?

Dear Bimmer gods,

A friend of mine want to give me these wheels and I am wondering if it would works on the X5.

Front wheels and tires 295 30 22
Rear wheels and tires 315 30 22

Would this effect my car due to "all wheel drive"?

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
You need to provide bolt pattern (should be 5x120 if E70 is same as most BMW's), center bore and offset.
There is a dedicated wheel and tire subforum monitored by peeps from Tire Rack. Probably best place to get expert advice, but they will need the wheel info. It's usually stamped inside the wheel.

With 22's you're getting into the questionable taste zone (my subjective opinion and likely not shared with all) and you will be degrading handling + increasing wear on suspension components due to heavier wheels (objective and factual.) I would thank my friend and tell him to list them on Craigslist.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 2008
Thanks
Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: bucket
what are the specs of the wheels?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
ABSOLUTELY NO!!!!

Do not, under any circumstance or for any distance whatever, EVER use mis-matched wheels and tires on an all-wheel drive vehicle. ANY all wheel drive vehicle.

All 4 wheels must, at all times and under all circumstances, have EXACTLY the same rolling diameter (or as close as it is physically possible for them to be). And that requires them to be the same make and model of tire, as well as the same tire size and age, because of differences in the way tires roll over bumps, around corners, in the wet, etc.

I know from bitter experience. I had the rear differential of an AWD van explode in flames about 30 miles down the highway after replacing the rear two tires. And it talking this experience with several mechanics and a number of tire guys, discovered that it was their common experience, that doing that would absolutely cause the very catastrophe that befell me.

Differentials are designed to allow wheels to rotate at slightly different speeds. HOWEVER, they don't accommodate continuous under-all-conditions different speeds. In doing what they do, they create a little bit of heat. And unless given time to dissipate that heat between bouts of different speed driving, they just get hotter and hotter until the oil in them boils and then you have a fire and bad, bad juju.

So, to the OP, having two wheels and tires of one size and two of another is absolutely a no-no on your X5. Give them back. Throw them away. Sell them to somebody. But DO NOT PUT THEM ON THAT X5!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW E70 X5 3.0si
As long as they are both 22's you should be fine. The staggered set up shouldn't mess up you're AWD. The M-sport package comes with a staggered wheels set up.