Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 09-13-2013, 08:11 AM
vetaldj vetaldj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orange Co
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Stew, regarding brake controller - I went with wireless one, it's about $300 but it worked perfect for my set up for moving (I had 5400lbs behind me and I did some mountain driving as well with it). Plus, nothing to screw into your dashboard or cup holder and no need for taking your X5 apart to route wires, I'm happy with it. Yes, it's more expensive but add installation time(money) and it will be about the same.
__________________
2010 X5 35d Monaco Blue/Saddle Brown with Premium/Technology/Sport/Climat, 62K
SOLD - 1997 BMW 528i Silver, 116.5K

BMWCCA Member # 447308

Last edited by vetaldj; 09-13-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM
blue dragon blue dragon is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 733
Mein Auto: X5 35D
On the OE wiring harness, there is four pins that are used for wiring a brake controller under the right panel in the trunk. Its not too hard to snake the wire to the front of the vehicle. My suggestion would be to use a prodigy wireless controller so you don't have to deal with that. The box mounts to the trailer, and the controller goes into the cabin.

See this
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM
stewthebassman's Avatar
stewthebassman stewthebassman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson, Quebec
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 852
Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Hi DJ, I have never heard of those! You see, we did our truck back in 2004 and I guess those didn't exist! As it is our controller was $129, so getting one for double that saves many hours of labour and as we all know that's a small fortune!
Thanks for that information!
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 09-13-2013, 08:20 AM
stewthebassman's Avatar
stewthebassman stewthebassman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson, Quebec
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 852
Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Hey Blue Dragon,

Nice to see that y'all are on top of this thread! That's great news for the wireless!
I showed my wife a pic of your enoromous boat last night, she was duly impressed!
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
You can do the trailer hitch install yourself! I just did mine 2 weeks ago and testing it now with my 5500lbs boat/trailer. All works perfectly.

- OE trailer hitch (including wiring harness) + factory instructions: $480
- installation time: about 2 days in total. I took my time, was not in a rush and wanted to do it right. Note that rear muffler section is painted black to blend in with the rest of the black assembly.
- rear camera coding, including zoom feature: about 30 mins and $70 with a local coder.

I figured I saved myself at least $1,000 doing it this way, and not through a BMW dealer ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	start(1).JPG
Views:	204
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	396610   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished7a.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	396611   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished9a.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	396612  
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 09-13-2013, 10:31 AM
stewthebassman's Avatar
stewthebassman stewthebassman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson, Quebec
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 852
Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Pax, did you have any issues with the Park Distance control? Or is that another sign of my out-of-touchness? Are those two little dots in the back for cameras?

I recall when I had the dealership swap bumpers for the hitch installation in 2006 they had to remove the PDC harness, it was a huge deal!




Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
You can do the trailer hitch install yourself! I just did mine 2 weeks ago and testing it now with my 5500lbs boat/trailer. All works perfectly.

- OE trailer hitch (including wiring harness) + factory instructions: $480
- installation time: about 2 days in total. I took my time, was not in a rush and wanted to do it right. Note that rear muffler section is painted black to blend in with the rest of the black assembly.
- rear camera coding, including zoom feature: about 30 mins and $70 with a local coder.

I figured I saved myself at least $1,000 doing it this way, and not through a BMW dealer ....
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewthebassman View Post
Pax, did you have any issues with the Park Distance control? Or is that another sign of my out-of-touchness? Are those two little dots in the back for cameras?

I recall when I had the dealership swap bumpers for the hitch installation in 2006 they had to remove the PDC harness, it was a huge deal!
PDC may or may not have its own wiring harness, depending on what options your car comes equipped with, eg comfort access, PDC, etc. Do you have the car yet? Look at the # of wire sets coming out of the body, right rear, just above the exhaust tip ...

Mine had PDC and CA grouped together in in one harnesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0026a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	396631  
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
stewthebassman's Avatar
stewthebassman stewthebassman is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hudson, Quebec
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 852
Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Thank you PAX, we don't have the car yet, we may not get it for a few months, but I want to know what the deal is so I don't convince my wife to buy an American SUV like a Grand Cherokee or something!
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 09-13-2013, 01:41 PM
linchuntao linchuntao is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
PDC may or may not have its own wiring harness, depending on what options your car comes equipped with, eg comfort access, PDC, etc. Do you have the car yet? Look at the # of wire sets coming out of the body, right rear, just above the exhaust tip ...

Mine had PDC and CA grouped together in in one harnesses.
PAX, did you add any protection at the wire harness just behind the 7 pin round plug? I installed OE wire harness, Draw Tite hitch and Curt Easy Mount Bracket. My X5 is 2011 35d and I did installation/coding myself. My concern is water proof for the wire harness behind the 7 pin round plug. Is it just ok by wrapping the wire harness with duct tape?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130818_173023_1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	396651   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130818_173049.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	396652  
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 09-13-2013, 03:04 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by linchuntao View Post
PAX, did you add any protection at the wire harness just behind the 7 pin round plug? I installed OE wire harness, Draw Tite hitch and Curt Easy Mount Bracket. My X5 is 2011 35d and I did installation/coding myself. My concern is water proof for the wire harness behind the 7 pin round plug. Is it just ok by wrapping the wire harness with duct tape?
No duct tape for me ... my objective was not to waterproof (BMW's external body electrical connections are not, strictly speaking, waterproof) ... I wanted to prevent any rubbing of the wiring harness on the sheet metal, so I use a piece of clear tygon tubing, cut a slit in it length wise (with slit pointing down for water drainage just in case) and place the OE wiring harness inside. Used two tie wraps to hold secure:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0033a.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	396692  
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 09-13-2013, 05:26 PM
linchuntao linchuntao is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
No duct tape for me ... my objective was not to waterproof (BMW's external body electrical connections are not, strictly speaking, waterproof) ... I wanted to prevent any rubbing of the wiring harness on the sheet metal, so I use a piece of clear tygon tubing, cut a slit in it length wise (with slit pointing down for water drainage just in case) and place the OE wiring harness inside. Used two tie wraps to hold secure:
Thanks, PAX. BTW, where did you buy the OE hitch kit so cheap? I bought my OE wire harness for $176 plus $12 shipping/handling. The seller sells OE hitch kit for $540 + shipping.
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 09-14-2013, 05:12 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 804
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by linchuntao View Post
Thanks, PAX. BTW, where did you buy the OE hitch kit so cheap? I bought my OE wire harness for $176 plus $12 shipping/handling. The seller sells OE hitch kit for $540 + shipping.
PM me and I'll give you the dlr. I used www.shopbmwusa.com to find the lowest priced dlr. This one happens to be in NJ. Shipping will kill you to San Jose, CA. But his kit DOES come with the OE wiring harness!
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645

Last edited by PAX5; 09-14-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 09-14-2013, 07:34 PM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
2013 BMW x5 - Trailer hitch recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by linchuntao View Post
Thanks, PAX. BTW, where did you buy the OE hitch kit so cheap? I bought my OE wire harness for $176 plus $12 shipping/handling. The seller sells OE hitch kit for $540 + shipping.
My dealer matched tischers price without shipping. Be sure to ask

Jay


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Brumby - 1955 Holden FJ Ute
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
invisihitch invisihitch is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCB View Post
Daryl - on another forum, a poster looking for a hitch for his 2013 X5 sport activity mentioned that he got an email from execuhitch that the sport activity trim would require a cut to the underside of the bumper for installation. Is this correct? Is there something different about the bumper on the sport activity trim that requires cutting?
Yes, an access opening for inserting the ball mount will always be required. On the X5, the rear bumper is a one-piece construction that curves under the vehicle at the bottom... and extends underneath the vehicle for about 5 or 6 inches (parallel to the ground). It is in this area that our access opening is required. So, technically, we do require a cut to the bumper but you will never see it unless you stick your head under the the vehicle.

(You guys always seem to post when I'm taking time off!!)

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 09-16-2013, 01:13 PM
invisihitch invisihitch is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Hi suspensio,

Can you update us on what was the outcome?
I hope suspensio will give you his feedback once he is able to let his shop have his vehicle to install our replacement hitch parts. The replacement parts are in his shop's hands and I believe the service work is still to be scheduled.

Based on the photos I received, it looks like we are warrantying out an earlier generation "execuhitch" hitch and ball mount. It is being replaced with our current generation invisihitch product, which we introduced in Q3 of 2012.

The current generation invisihitch for the X5 passes load testing at 4,000kg trailer weight and 500kg tongue weight (about 8,800 lbs and 1,100 lbs respectively). In other words, you would damage your X5 chassis long before you could bend this hitch or ball mount via towing. And the certification testing was done using our highest leverage ball mount -- a 7 inch rise.

Should you EVER have a problem with an invisihitch product, whether it was sold by us or sold previously by execuhitch, please contact me directly. I can't promise that no one will ever experience any issue with any of our products, but I can most certainly assure you that you will receive proper warranty service without question.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 AM
blue dragon blue dragon is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pickering/Toronto
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 733
Mein Auto: X5 35D
^^ Dude, invisihitch is rocking the customer service! Sure is a different experience from when you guys first started out....
__________________


| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
^^ Dude, invisihitch is rocking the customer service! Sure is a different experience from when you guys first started out....
This x10000

Good on you Daryl!!!!!!

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Brumby - 1955 Holden FJ Ute
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 10-08-2013, 10:04 PM
TMANN TMANN is offline
Registered User
Location: Yardley, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: E36 M3; E92 335i; E70 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazsep View Post
We need another group buy


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
+1...ready to buy when this happens...hopefully before Spring 2014.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 10-09-2013, 11:23 PM
mountainman3520 mountainman3520 is online now
Registered User
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
You can do the trailer hitch install yourself! I just did mine 2 weeks ago and testing it now with my 5500lbs boat/trailer. All works perfectly.

- OE trailer hitch (including wiring harness) + factory instructions: $480
- installation time: about 2 days in total. I took my time, was not in a rush and wanted to do it right. Note that rear muffler section is painted black to blend in with the rest of the black assembly.
- rear camera coding, including zoom feature: about 30 mins and $70 with a local coder.

I figured I saved myself at least $1,000 doing it this way, and not through a BMW dealer ....
Could someone please provide more info on the rear camera coding with zoom feature? I paid my dealer big bucks for the BMW hitch install on my 2012 X5 and they claim they coded it properly. But I see no options for rear camera zoom on the hitch or any other indication on the LCD panel that the hitch is present and coded. Also the rear parking assist beeps constantly and is unhappy whenever I have a trailer or bike rack attached, and that doesn't seem right. At the very least it seems like with a hitch installed I should have an option to tell the system there is something mounted to it so it won't beep at me as if I'm about to hit something whenever I'm in reverse.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 10-10-2013, 05:54 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Do you have trailer lights plugged into the connector by the hitch? That's the only way the X5 knows to turn off the parking assist and to enable the hitch zoom.

I'm assuming no with the bike rack, if you do a search you can figure out how to fool the X5 by wiring some resistors into a plug.

Give that a try.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Brumby - 1955 Holden FJ Ute
Reply With Quote
  #121  
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM
kakalika's Avatar
kakalika kakalika is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston TX.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 369
Mein Auto: 11 X5 35D, 03 530i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
Could someone please provide more info on the rear camera coding with zoom feature? I paid my dealer big bucks for the BMW hitch install on my 2012 X5 and they claim they coded it properly. But I see no options for rear camera zoom on the hitch or any other indication on the LCD panel that the hitch is present and coded. Also the rear parking assist beeps constantly and is unhappy whenever I have a trailer or bike rack attached, and that doesn't seem right. At the very least it seems like with a hitch installed I should have an option to tell the system there is something mounted to it so it won't beep at me as if I'm about to hit something whenever I'm in reverse.

Thanks!
The dealer has no idea on how to code this simple feature. Some members here have done it themselves. I used a remote coder who is recommended on these forums. Do a search for Triple O coding, or check his facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Tripl3OCoding?fref=ts.
He did my camera zoom coding, and a lot of other stuff.
The rear PDC should be disabled when a hitch is connected. If it is still beeping, it was not properly coded. You don't have to tell the system there is a trailer connected, it should know automatically.
__________________
Run flat tires? Nein Danke!

Last edited by kakalika; 10-10-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #122  
Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
jashearer jashearer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gold Coast, QLD
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Re: 2013 BMW x5 - Trailer hitch recommendations?

But it knows by way of extra resistance when trailor lights are plugged in, if the latter is using a bike rack it won't know.

Jay
__________________
Rover - 2013 Holden Commodore SV6 Sedan
Clark - 2013 Holden Commodore Sport SV6 Wagon
Brumby - 1955 Holden FJ Ute
Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old 10-11-2013, 12:41 PM
mountainman3520 mountainman3520 is online now
Registered User
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
But it knows by way of extra resistance when trailor lights are plugged in, if the latter is using a bike rack it won't know.

Jay
Does anyone have plans or schematics for this widget?

I assume the stock harness adapter block doesn't include a feature to fake out the truck with no harness attached. So I need to build something like that but wired to include a short through a resistor for one or more pins?

Has anyone done the leg work to figure this out? Maybe buy some standard harness adapter at an automotive store and then make mods to the wiring?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
invisihitch invisihitch is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 279
Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post
Does anyone have plans or schematics for this widget?

I assume the stock harness adapter block doesn't include a feature to fake out the truck with no harness attached. So I need to build something like that but wired to include a short through a resistor for one or more pins?

Has anyone done the leg work to figure this out? Maybe buy some standard harness adapter at an automotive store and then make mods to the wiring?

Thanks

Tow Ready makes a nice plug-in solution for this. They market it as a 7-way to 5-way adapter with built-in resistors for use with LED trailers. But its built-in resistors will accomplish what you want when you attach a bike rack.... it fools the OEM harness into thinking a trailer with incandescent tail lights is attached, so the rear PDC alarm gets disabled. The cabin hatch-open button gets disabled also, so you won't accidentally pop your hatch into your bike rack. A nice, off-the-shelf solution.

Do a search for Tow Ready TR20141

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:04 PM
mountainman3520 mountainman3520 is online now
Registered User
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 74
Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
Tow Ready makes a nice plug-in solution for this. They market it as a 7-way to 5-way adapter with built-in resistors for use with LED trailers. But its built-in resistors will accomplish what you want when you attach a bike rack.... it fools the OEM harness into thinking a trailer with incandescent tail lights is attached, so the rear PDC alarm gets disabled. The cabin hatch-open button gets disabled also, so you won't accidentally pop your hatch into your bike rack. A nice, off-the-shelf solution.

Do a search for Tow Ready TR20141

Cheers,
Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
Wow, that's great Daryl! Thank you!
My X5 tow package came with a Pollak adapter that looks just like the Tow Ready TR20141 but its a 7 pin circular to 4 pin row adapter and it didn't disable the rear proximity alarm when I tested it. I guess the one provided by BMW doesn't include the resistors.

Tow Ready describes the TR20141 as "7-Way Flat Pin to 5-Flat Adapter w/LED Lamp Out By-Pass for European Vehicles" and "For Vehicles with Trailer Lamp-Out Sensors, such as: Audi, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen vehicles with a Factory Tow Package."

I've got to get one of these TR20141's and test it out. If it works as you describe, and even disables the rear gate open button, you will be my new biimmerfest hero. I've been trying to figure out what to do about that rear gate open button since my very durable steel bike rack would cause nasty damage to the rear gate if someone pushed that button. I'm not okay with having a kill car button conveniently located on the dash so I've been using a long extender to hold my bike rack away from the gate to give enough space. This was a bad solution but I didn't know what else to do. Now maybe I've got a great solution.

Thank you
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bike rack, trailer hitch


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms