Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-29-2012, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 525d M sport
"ALARM" written on MID

So strange thing happen... I was in my garage, cleaning something and I was listening music from the CD on the car (6 cd changer). After an hour of listening, the music has change to radio by it self, and after a minute or so again to CD (the engine was not working). Next day while I drive my car, same thing happen again. From CD to radio and again to CD, but this time I saw "ALARM" written on the MID screen. Does somebody know what is the reason for this? Thanks
p.s. the car is 525d 2002 with DSP and 6-cd changer
Old 12-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If the engine wasn't running, then more than likely you ran the battery down by leaving it on for over an hour. Not only is the radio running, but so are all other electronic modules etc. When the battery's voltage gets low...all kind of crazy electronic gremlins can occur. It's kind of like a boxer that gets hit in the head real hard and becomes disoriented.

On the next day...the electronic gremlins were probably still occurred until the car's charging system built the battery back up to acceptable voltage. Running your car battery to a deep state of discharge is not a good idea because it causes concealed damage...and kind speed up the untimely death of the battery. BTW...do you know if this is the car's original battery? Looking at your model year...it could be the original BMW VARTA battery...or you could be on the 2nd battery for the car. A car battery usually has a 4-6 yr life-span under average usage...but depending on battery brand (especially the original VARTA batteries) they can last from 6-12 yrs. Either way...you fall into a window where battery issues can appear.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
If .....
Thank you for the explanation, what you say it make sense. I hope I will not have any problems later on. About the battery, it's the second one. I bought it last year (exactly one year). The brand is "TOPLA" TOP 95 Ah / 900 A (made in Slovenia). I don't have any problems with starting the car or any other... Thank's again and happy holidays to all.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzboy View Post
Thank you for the explanation, what you say it make sense. I hope I will not have any problems later on. About the battery, it's the second one. I bought it last year (exactly one year). The brand is "TOPLA" TOP 95 Ah / 900 A (made in Slovenia). I don't have any problems with starting the car or any other... Thank's again and happy holidays to all.
No idea for sure, but would understand if the changer has a problem...either a disk not seated, a drawer not in straight and the car is letting you know their is an issue with the changer cartridge which would seem to make sense if battery turns out not to be culprit. I found early on that even listening to car radio while say washing car is long enough to take battery below minimum level. This is why our cars have 140 amp alternators and 1000 amp batteries. When car is just on, HVAC blower can be running, all modules active, etc. just as Q-man said. I could see the car's audio system continuing to try and run CD if it thinks something is jamming-up changer.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 AM

Maybe something is shifted - not in line with the cartridge or it's bad disc ... I'll check that also. Thanks And for discharging the battery while listening music w/o engine running, I think that the ECU is stopping the music to prevent the battery to drain more than it should. It is some kind of protection from the ECU. (NOT sure)

Last edited by tazzboy; 12-30-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Just out of curiousity, I looked here for the message, to no avail:
- List of all possible BMW E39 instrument cluster 20-digit alphanumeric display warning/information messages (1)

Maybe the MID has different error messages than the cluster?
Or, maybe the song was sung by The Alarm?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Just out of curiousity, I looked here for the message, to no avail:
- List of all possible BMW E39 instrument cluster 20-digit alphanumeric display warning/information messages (1)

Maybe the MID has different error messages than the cluster?
Or, maybe the song was sung by The Alarm?
Maybe it was the RDS showing band or song name something with "ALARM" in it, but I don't think so. I mean what are the chances the music to change from CD to radio by it self, and in that time on radio to play song with name "ALARM" ? Anyhow I will keep an eye on that and I'll write.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 525
This is a good one, for sure. I have an 01 525, and didn't think the MID had that capability.