Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 94 540i
aux waterpump fitting breakage

i had a problem with aux water pump fitting bfeaking off, i suspect it had do to its age,this was at night on my way home...noticed an anti freeze smell,temp guage was at 3/4, drove a total of five miles becore getting it home...could any damage been done driving this far?
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnz View Post
i had a problem with aux water pump fitting bfeaking off, i suspect it had do to its age,this was at night on my way home...noticed an anti freeze smell,temp guage was at 3/4, drove a total of five miles becore getting it home...could any damage been done driving this far?
Yes, especially if the temp gauge went into the red area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnz View Post
No, if it was just at 3/4 all the way. However, your fuel economy would have fallen off, the ecu would have dumped fuel to cool down the chambers.

Good thing that you noticed an anti-freeze smell i.e. you were using anti-freeze with a distinct odour. Sometimes you can get the smell long before your engine begins to run hot...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
No, if it was just at 3/4 all the way. However, your fuel economy would have fallen off, the ecu would have dumped fuel to cool down the chambers.

Good thing that you noticed an anti-freeze smell i.e. you were using anti-freeze with a distinct odour. Sometimes you can get the smell long before your engine begins to run hot...
"the ecu would have dumped fuel to cool down the chambers"

Also, according to the OP, he noticed the problem when his temp gauge was at 3/4 ... and then drove 5 more miles

Anyway, he asked if it was possible that damage was done. There is no way to accurately say "no" with an overheat on these engines.

OP, you just need to make the repair, ensure your car's cooling system is topped off and properly bled, and then just watch for signs of problems like recurring overheats, steam from the exhaust pipe, oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil (milkshake looking oil on either the dipstick or oil filler cap). If you show any of these signs, then you may have blown the headgasket and would need to confirm it with either a pressure test, or one of the products that checks for products of combustion in the coolant.

I wish you luck and hope that no damage was done.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
"the ecu would have dumped fuel to cool down the chambers"

Also, according to the OP, he noticed the problem when his temp gauge was at 3/4 ... and then drove 5 more miles

Anyway, he asked if it was possible that damage was done. There is no way to accurately say "no" with an overheat on these engines.

OP, you just need to make the repair, ensure your car's cooling system is topped off and properly bled, and then just watch for signs of problems like recurring overheats, steam from the exhaust pipe, oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil (milkshake looking oil on either the dipstick or oil filler cap). If you show any of these signs, then you may have blown the headgasket and would need to confirm it with either a pressure test, or one of the products that checks for products of combustion in the coolant.

I wish you luck and hope that no damage was done.
Yes, you are probably right. It probably hit the red line sometime after he first noticed it at 3/4 (must have been when he first sniffed the antifreeze and looked down to the gauge). I should stop reading so hastily.

The ecu is already using more fuel than strictly necessary for combustion when during hard driving at high rpms. The extra fuel is there to cool down the chambers when it absorbs heat as it vapourises. Yes, this is counter intuitive, extra fuel is supposed to cause extra combustion and thus more heat/power etc, but that's not how it is measured out.

The ecu thus has this emergency survival element built in, to dump in more fuel when it thinks the engine is overheated, in a heroic (and usually vain) effort to cool things down. This can be easily simulated. Run your car until it is at optemp. Stop engine. Unplug the ects. Jump its switch's terminals with a wire. Start the engine. The car will think that the engine has overheated and will dump more fuel that will not be burnt. You can detect this familiar smell if you stand around the tailpipe.

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 12-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
..... The ecu is already using more fuel than strictly necessary for combustion when during hard driving at high rpms. The extra fuel is there to cool down the chambers when it absorbs heat as it vapourises. Yes, this is counter intuitive, extra fuel is supposed to cause extra combustion and thus more heat/power etc, but that's not how it is measured out.

The ecu thus has this emergency survival element built in, to dump in more fuel when it thinks the engine is overheated, in a heroic (and usually vain) effort to cool things down. This can be easily simulated. Run your car until it is at optemp. Stop engine. Unplug the ects. Jump its switch's terminals with a wire. Start the engine. The car will think that the engine has overheated and will dump more fuel that will not be burnt. You can detect this familiar smell if you stand around the tailpipe.
Sorry, but that just doesn’t make sense to me. Do you have any citations from reputable resources (i.e. Bentley manual, BMW service manuals etc.) to substantiate your statements above?

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 12-30-2012, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 94 540i
no i only drove a total of 5 miles..never made it to the red mark, by the
time it hit the 3/4 mark i had about two miles to go....seems to fine for now..bypassed the heater core
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Sorry, but that just doesn’t make sense to me. Do you have any citations from reputable resources (i.e. Bentley manual, BMW service manuals etc.) to substantiate your statements above?
Yes, it was very counter intuitive when I first encountered it. Various mechs and tuners have confirmed this over the years and this correlates with what I've read online as well.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8113517_dan...ning-lean.html

I'll post some better links soon too, and let me search through the manual and see if anything is there. Perhaps FF can chime in too.

rgds,
Roberto