Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
E93 Rain Drains

Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (2) (Medium).JPG
Views:	804
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	355264   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (3) (Medium).JPG
Views:	385
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	355265   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (6) (Medium).JPG
Views:	365
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	355266   Click image for larger version

Name:	E93 Rain Drains etc (14) (Medium).JPG
Views:	360
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	355267  

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars

Last edited by MP3_E46; 12-30-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Good job.
I have not had need to clean my drains car is always garaged but might do so now just to see what comes out.
I never knew what a trombone cleaner looks like but now I do...
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
MP3,

Excellent information here. I've squirted water from a syringe down the rain drains a couple of times, just to make sure they were properly draining. Looks like your top seals are definitely in need of some extra TLC, but you are well on your way to getting them rejuvenated.

If you don't mind, please post a reference to this thread up in the origami top sticky. That way in the future this information will be easily accessible if someone is perusing the sticky.

Thanks!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post
Likely this has been covered several times but Googling for "E93 Rain Drains" etc failed to find this information.

Today while carefully applying Gummi Pledge with a tiny paint brush to the windows seals etc I noticed what looked just like a rain drain. Running a trombone cleaner through it forced debris out the bottom. The first attached photo show debris from the first or second run through.

The first attachment definitely shows a drain that channels water down. With the roof up its top is clear to receive water and bottom exit hole drains outside the door.

From memory a little debris also came from the drain in the third attachment but I am not 100% certain. It does exit right where the main drain can receive water from it (shine flashlight in the corner of roof/ windshield pillar/ door window to see what I mean). There were lots of other similar holes but no debris came from any.

Additionally the seal at corners of the rear window base was in pretty bad shape for a vehicle manufactured in June 2009. Cleaning with a dry rag brought got some gunk off. Then I applied Gummi Pledge and re-cleaned with the rag; lots of nasty gunk came off. After re-applying Gummi Pledge it's now in much better shape. Silver trim underneath had corrosion like marks on which mostly cleaned off with a clay bar.

Everyone with an E93 should clean that drain and apply Gummi Pledge once in a while. Debris build up is obviously more likely if you park outside near trees.

Update: Wow! Within twenty minutes entering "E93 Rain Drains" in Google has this post and the number one hit.
That is an interesting idea. I was wondering how to apply Gummi upside down. Out of curiosity, what width paint brush are you using? If I understand your technique, you are basically 'painting' the seal with Gummi, using the paint brush?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
That is an interesting idea. I was wondering how to apply Gummi upside down. Out of curiosity, what width paint brush are you using? If I understand your technique, you are basically 'painting' the seal with Gummi, using the paint brush?
Painted it on then rubbed with fingers to ensure it reached everywhere - hope it's ok on skin

Have never gone to this extreme before but I would like to get this car sorted out. Could easily swap it out for a new G37 or IS convertible but I hugely prefer the E93.

The brush I used was very small (one you'd use to paint a water color background with). Next time at the Home Depot I'll pick up a suitable 1/4" brush which should work faster even if it splashes more. Be sure to cover seats with towels, I draped towels under the seals but the rear seats ended up with a few splodges. Lexol a couple of hours later appears to have removed the marks Gummi Pledge made on the black leather. Also I need something to keep the Gummi Pledge in now as it the original container does not work well once the foam applicator is removed. Never like that applicator and from now on will use with a paint brush.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:28 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
FYI

Trombone cleaner : Amazon link
Old 04-25-2013, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP3_E46 View Post

Thanks for this MP3_E46.

I recall at least one thread about the channel, but not in this detail or with this resolution. Had something to do with filling the channel with silicone to resolve foldin' top leakage - firmer seal. Flexy silicone rod....??

Good juju, text of cleaning & trombone brush - what I don't recall is any good way to clean it. Before this.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 04-25-2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Thanks for this MP3_E46.

I recall at least one thread about the channel, but not in this detail or with this resolution. Had something to do with filling the channel with silicone to resolve foldin' top leakage - firmer seal. Flexy silicone rod....??

Good juju, text of cleaning & trombone brush - what I don't recall is any good way to clean it. Before this.

Thanks Cal. We've had no leaks at all since cleaning out the drains. In fact the car has been problem free for over three months now