Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-25-2015, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
JB Diesel Performance Tuner Review

Got my JB Diesel Performance Tuner yesterday ($279) and just put it in. It was a piece of cake to install. After the install, I took the car for a spin, of course.

Everything seemed to work normally, which is a relief. Many people (and the instructions) reported that this device could trip codes if set higher than the default of 60%. Not being interested in only 60%, I just cranked it up all the way (a little dial inside the plastic electronics enclosure). Some people said that only older car models may have an issue with tripping codes or that the issue occurs only if you stomp on it before the engine is thoroughly warmed up. I try not to stomp on it before it's warm anyway, so I was hoping for the best. By the way, my 335d is a 2011.

Since I've gotten used to the car after several months of ownership, I basically feel like the car pulls hard from maybe 20-60. From 60-100, it's definitely easy to pass, but I wouldn't say it pulls hard. With this gizmo installed, I would say it pulls very hard from 60-100, compared with before (although almost certainly less acceleration than at lower speeds). I let off at 100, although the car really wanted to keep going. If it was easy to get a speeding ticket on the freeway before, it will be VERY easy to get a BIGGER speeding ticket now.

One more note. During the test drive, I didn't use "kick down." I love that this engine produces so much power at lower RPMs, so that's how I tend to do it. I'm sure I'll try the chip with "kick down" at some point.

After a short test drive, I'm very pleased.

Jay

Last edited by birdus; 09-25-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Con
Any increase in smoke? My 14 Jeep does not smoke at ALL, I mean nuttin. I was always curious as to the smoke factor if tuned. What gains do they claim for $279?
My garage: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2008 335i Convert., 1987 Mercedes 560SL, 1980 Corvette(highly modified), 2000 Harley Deuce, 1996 Suzuki DR350, 1985 Honda ATC 250SX, 1994 Donzi classic 22, 1981 Boston Whaler 13 sport...yes I need a bigger garage.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiefl View Post
Any increase in smoke? My 14 Jeep does not smoke at ALL, I mean nuttin. I was always curious as to the smoke factor if tuned. What gains do they claim for $279?
I guess I didn't think this car was supposed to smoke at all. Honestly, I've never looked and didn't look during this drive. If it smokes, I've never noticed it. Sorry for not having better info for you there.

It's supposed to be around 60 HP and 100 foot/pounds of torque over stock. Max increase occurs at around 90 mph. It definitely feels like it!

There's a graph on the Burger Tuning website.

Jay

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search