Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335i
When to use DTC? When to not?

I have read the owners manual and am very confused about this. I have an E93 335i manual trans.

The default position is zero lights. Push DTC button and "DTC" pops up as "Activated."

Does this mean I don't have any kinda traction control in the default (no dash lights) position?

When driving in rain should I select DTC? What about on Icy roads?

See, I thought all this traction stuff was "ON" by default every time i start the car. Now, I'm kinda learning that you have to turn on DTC.

Well, something is on by default. Because it won't let my wheels spin in gravel. So what is on by default (no lights), and what is changed when I activate DTC?

Last, im guessing that holding the DTC button turns all gadgets off right?
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Default dtc is on. My understanding is to press the button when you are stuck in mud or lots of snow...

Sent from my Ally using Bimmer App
Old 05-04-2011, 09:37 AM

But when you press the DTC button, it then says "DTC Activated". As if DTC was deactivated by default or that I had no traction control in the first place.

So you're saying that for the safest driving, press nothing in heavy rain or icy conditions? But DO press DTC when basically stuck? Like an icy driveway. Ditch. etc?
Old 05-04-2011, 09:49 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
By default both DSC and DTC are on. By pressing the button, you disable DSC, and you make DTC less obtrusive. By holding the button you disable both, having only ABS enabled. Manual should have those answers... IN BOLD.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandanio View Post
By default both DSC and DTC are on. By pressing the button, you disable DSC, and you make DTC less obtrusive. By holding the button you disable both, having only ABS enabled. Manual should have those answers... IN BOLD.
No, no, no.

When you start the car:
DSC is always ON.
DTC is always OFF

Pressing the DTC button *ACTIVATES* DTC, which modifies the limits of wheel-slip and other parameters that DSC allows.

Pushing the button for 3+ seconds, DSC and all traction control functions are off.

Braking functions (ABS, ABD, etc) are not impacted in either mode.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:06 AM
The One who Drives.

Mein Auto: 11 f25 n55/09 Jetta TDI
I stand corrected, DSC on by Default, DTC on by pressing, all off by holding. Relevant website: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...n_control.html

Thanks! You can learn something new every day.

Trips and Pieces - My new blog for Travelers by Travelers!
Personal Euro Delivery Blog

My, somewhat outdated, BMW Euro Delivery of 2009 blog with pics!
Old 05-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Winding up the M235xi

Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi
You use the default (no lights / no button push / full traction control) when you're driving, especially if it's slippery. The computer is on and trying to keep you going where you want.

You use DTC (one button push) when you want to allow some wheel spin without having the traction control system pull the power off. The typical example of this is when you're in snow or mud, are trying to get going, and will accept some wheel spin as the price of slogging forward.

You use "everything off" (press and hold) when you want to go spin the wheels and slide around for some fun.

George

Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92

Last edited by Zooks527; 05-04-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Automotive Monomaniac

Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
99.9 percent of the time, I leave everything engaged (no lights on the dashboard).

- Mike

'16 BMW X5 xDrive35i M Sport 8AT
'15 Volkswagen Golf TDI 6MT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT

Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as Editor-in-Chief for Autoweb and Autobytel!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You use DTC (one button push) when you want to allow some wheel spin without having the traction control system pull the power off.
BTW, DTC on or off makes little difference in a 335d - TOO MUCH TORQUE!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330i, '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
You use the default (no lights / no button push / full traction control) when you're driving, especially of it's slippery. The computer is on and trying to keep you going where you want.

You use DTC (one button push) when you want to allow some wheel spin without having the traction control system pull the power off. The typical example of this is when you're in snow or mud, are trying to get going, and will accept some wheel spin as the price of slogging forward.

You use "everything off" (press and hold) when you want to go spin the wheels and slide around for some fun.

George
This.

I don't think a manufacturer would ever leave something like traction control up to the consumer to turn ON when they think "it's bad enough".

----------------------------------------------------------
2002 330i sedan, premium, cold weather packages, hk
2007 335i coupe, premium, sport, cold weather packages, nav, comfort access
Old 05-04-2011, 11:17 AM

Ok thanks this is great information. I know the manual mentions this but IMO is very confusing. It's obvious that it's confusing just by reading the differing opinions in the posts above.

So I think it's safe to say the safest way to drive on slippery dangerous roads (wet / ice) is to leave everything untouched. Press DTC when I need added wheel slippage (starting off on ice, in mud etc).
Old 05-04-2011, 11:49 AM

Send a message via ICQ to groundeffect
Mein Auto: 335i
Agreed..until you need slip to start.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post
Ok thanks this is great information. I know the manual mentions this but IMO is very confusing. It's obvious that it's confusing just by reading the differing opinions in the posts above.

So I think it's safe to say the safest way to drive on slippery dangerous roads (wet / ice) is to leave everything untouched. Press DTC when I need added wheel slippage (starting off on ice, in mud etc).
Pretty much correct. However, you do *NOT* want wheel slip when *starting* out on ice or snow. You want to use it in situations that continued application of power/throttle is necessary - generally when you're climbing hills and don't want DSC/TCS to throttle down or use brakes to attenuate slipping. Don't forget that STATIC friction is greater than DYNAMIC friction - ie, you're better off never slipping in the first place.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi 4dr; '03 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emission View Post
99.9 percent of the time, I leave everything engaged (no lights on the dashboard).
This. As I heard it put by (I think) a Performance Center instructor, "plenty of guys have found out the hard way they're not 'better than The Button.'" The computer's attention never lapses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Pretty much correct. However, you do *NOT* want wheel slip when *starting* out on ice or snow. ... Don't forget that STATIC friction is greater than DYNAMIC friction - ie, you're better off never slipping in the first place.
Pretty much pretty much correct. Straight from the manual:
Quote:
You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC
under the following special circumstances:
> When driving uphill on snow-covered roads,
in slush or on unplowed, snow-covered
roads
> When rocking a stuck vehicle free or starting
off in deep snow or on loose ground

> When driving with snow chains
When the surface you're sitting on lacks enough cohesion to provide any real purchase for the tires, DSC may intervene so aggressively that you can't get moving at all. That's one case where DTC can help.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I might have this mixed up but I think:

Traction Control (DTC) is the ability for the car to remove power from wheels that are slipping (rear wheels in these RWD vehicles).
Stability Control (DSC) is the ability for the car to apply the brakes to the wheels it deems necessary to prevent the vehicle from spinning (oversteer, etc.)

Combine the two and you get some awesome drivability in cars that would otherwise be a lot to handle.

As a side note, I really wish I had tried to get my 6er to spin out with all the nannies active. I only did it with all of them off. Anyone else try to spin out with DSC fully on?

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 11-23-2014, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 428i GC - A-White
Informative. Thanks
Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 AM
<- met in Rome, named Mo

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
What is confusing is the terminology used. In one's mind, DTC acts to prevents slipping (rear-wheel spin) while DSC prevents skidding. In reality, DSC curbs both skidding and slipping. By pressing the button once, you turn off the skid control, and lessen the slipping control. By holding it, you turn off both.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=810480

Someone else posted this today. Link in 1st post of thread.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Dynamic Traction Control (DTC).

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) allows more wheel slip and thus a more dynamic driving style with higher wheel traction and DSC controlling stability. A small amount of spin on the drive wheels improves traction when pulling off from a standstill in snow or on loose terrain.

Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) is a sub-function of the Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) system that can be turned on and off. DTC has two major roles: to regulate traction and to enable sports-style driving while providing active stability control.
When the drive wheels start losing traction the DSC automatically begins stabilisation measures. The Dynamic Stability Control system curbs the engine output and stops slip on the wheels. In exceptional situations, however, a small amount of wheel slip can be an advantage.

When driving in deep snow, slush or on loose terrain a small amount of wheel spin improves traction. For these occasions, as well as those when the drivers want a sportier driving style, the DTC can be activated by pressing a button and this allows more slip and reduces the DSC’s curbing of the engine. The result: better traction and more thrust.

The DTC also makes driving on snow and ice-free roads more dynamic. When activated, the DTC allows sporty drivers more room to manoeuvre around curves than the Dynamic Stability Control and even permits controlled drifts. The driver retains complete control over the vehicle in every situation and the Dynamic Stability Control’s stabilising measures remain active even when the DTC is activated.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
Ok so if I'm stuck in the snow, should I press the DTC button once so it says it's activated?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:45 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerushan5 View Post
Ok so if I'm stuck in the snow, should I press the DTC button once so it says it's activated?
Yes. Although once you get stuck it might be too late.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I'm not going to go into what mode DSC/DTC is really in when you leave the button only, when you press it momentarily, and when you hold it, etc.

But this is the way I use DTC.

In most conditions, you leave the button alone.

In situations where you are getting no where because of wheel spin, you press the DTC button momentarily. This mode allows more wheel spin but not unlimited wheel spin. On a non-AWD model, I normally use this mode when I'm stuck in snow and the DSC module is limiting wheel spin due to loss of traction. This mode will allow you to build some momentum before the DME limits power.

Holding the DTC button will completely disable traction control. You have unlimited wheel spin. I use this when I want to spin the rear end around. There are very few situations where completely disabling traction control is useful besides having fun with it off.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 08-14-2015, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
I will try this out!!! I have a 325xi E90... if you're right, imma kill my mechanic lol (joking of course)

My car is a daily driver and I don't go nuts when driving - in all honest, the AWD to me is really useful during winter months especially during snow. Would disabling DTC/DSC during summer (6 months approx) have any adverse effects on drive-train or front diff or TC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
I'm not going to go into what mode DSC/DTC is really in when you leave the button only, when you press it momentarily, and when you hold it, etc.

But this is the way I use DTC.

In most conditions, you leave the button alone.

In situations where you are getting no where because of wheel spin, you press the DTC button momentarily. This mode allows more wheel spin but not unlimited wheel spin. On a non-AWD model, I normally use this mode when I'm stuck in snow and the DSC module is limiting wheel spin due to loss of traction. This mode will allow you to build some momentum before the DME limits power.

Holding the DTC button will completely disable traction control. You have unlimited wheel spin. I use this when I want to spin the rear end around. There are very few situations where completely disabling traction control is useful besides having fun with it off.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Con
Just your tire wear...then again I doubt you have much spin with an AWD 325 when disabled.
My garage: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel, 2008 335i Convert., 1987 Mercedes 560SL, 1980 Corvette(highly modified), 2000 Harley Deuce, 1996 Suzuki DR350, 1985 Honda ATC 250SX, 1994 Donzi classic 22, 1981 Boston Whaler 13 sport...yes I need a bigger garage.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggiefl View Post
Just your tire wear...then again I doubt you have much spin with an AWD 325 when disabled.
Like I said, I'm not going for donuts here lol just extended drives which I have to do as part of my job. Rear tires seem to wear out on e90xi more quickly anyway (at least they did on mine).

As long as the tire wear does not interfere with the awd or damage the viscous coupling or the transfer case in general, I have no issues driving around without dtc/dsc. Just need confirmation...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search