Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: X3 2.0 diesel
Unhappy Engine yellow light problem

Not quite sure where to start and do not want this to sound like a downer on the X3 because I actually like it - just plagued by the carbon/crud build up problem (I think).
Bought the X3, 2.0 SE diesel in 2006 when 6 months old and had good service from the dealer until the warranty expired, which is when the yellow engine light started to come on and briefly after 3 years of trying to resolve still no success.
Last year spent a fortune replacing various parts that the dealer recommended should be changed - computer diagnostics said so, EGR, sensor valve?, Air mass filter....etc. finally took it to an independent who instantly said the inlet manifold needed cleaning which he duly did. This finally worked for a while but for the last 6 months the light is back....miles per gallon has reduced again to around 25 daily and 45 on a run. Used to do 35 daily when bought.

I've moved to shell v-power and noticed knocking when idling?

My driving pattern probably doesn't help as its mainly 10 miles to work and 10 miles back although I do give it a long run once a month (200 miles) and try and give it a high rev cycle (~4000 revs) for about 10 mins every week.
I'm waiting for something I saw on the web from "power enhancer" BG244 diesel fuel cleaner - I'm not 100% confident this will sort out the problem. I will even start doing more regular oil services myself earlier than the indicator - is there a good step by step guide?

Just looking for guidance on what I can do as I intend to keep the car as its practical and I do like it even though its a hard ride - but really frustrated by this.

I am considering either replacing or cleaning the inlet manifold again - is this something that a practical DIYer can do? If so is there a good step by step guide or can someone help me with a guide.

I used to do most of the engine work myself on my earlier cars many moons ago but have been softened up by the newer cars.

Are there any other products that I could used to clean out the air intake side rather than the fuel end?

Any help or guidance appreciated as I am loathe to go back to the dealer again and the independent although good still wasn't able to resolve this - or am I asking too much?

Cheers and thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Tough problems. Not many of us here have experience with the M47 2.0l turbo-diesel unfortunately (mostly US crowd.) There are some on the e90post forums, but you can also try the regional forum.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I see you are in Europe,,, If I were you I would get your intake cleaned (walnut blasted) again and do an EGR delete. I know there is an EGR bypass available on ebay for the 3.0 liter diesel that other UK members installed in their 335d's with good success. You should reach out to EcoTune and Evolve to see what if any options they offer for your vehicle and research EGR bypass for your vehicle. You should also do some question asking in the UK section of E90 Post.com - lots of knowledgable UK owners frequent that forum. You may even come across my EGR bypass thread I started.

You are lucky in that there are more aftermarket options/solutions afforded to diesel owners living in Europe than here in the states.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.