Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 530
Stealer story - nice one for a change

Early morning commute in a snow storm this Thursday and I hit a pretty large snow bank left by a snow plow doing a road crossing the street I was using. Those of you in the rust belt will know what I mean. Saw it at the last moment but still went through it at about 20 mph.

Phew! no damage to the bumper, lower grill or fog lights but the rubber/plastic air dam under the bumper and the two aero/mud flaps in front of both front wheels (the ones that incorporate the brake air ducts and the front section of the wheel well liner) were done for.

First thought was to check out a couple of wreckers but I went to my local dealer first to get a price benchmark. I was expecting the usual "made from platinum" price but the cost for all three parts was a little over $100 including all fasteners and they gave me a 20% discount because I had originally bought the car from them. Not cheap at $80 but pretty reasonable and I probably couldn't get the parts very much cheaper at a wreckers, assuming I could find everything I needed.

I usually ignore the dealer as a source for parts whenever possible but I'll be pricing most things there (at least as a check) from now on.
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: '01 530i
Not too bad of a deal. Glad the damage wasn't worse!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
My stealership doesnt want work either. When i bought the car it had no e-brake, severely worn past sevice life rotors, and several oil leaks, destroyed thrust bushing and completely bald tires yet the "world class inspection" of over 120 points, including the above mentioned issues, came back all green check marks. They didnt try to sell me anything and said the car was perfect. I must be the ugly chick cuz they werent even interested in raping me even if it was warranted.

Btw, just for the record i only go there for alignments.
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw