Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci
645 V8 Engine replacement ! Dear God !

Worst possible news..my 2005 BMW 645 is currently in with the main dealer. It cut out recently during the bad weather as I drove through what genuinely was fairly low and inoffensive standing water. There was some splashback over the wheels and the car restarted but went into safe mode so I tentatively drove home and hoped it was just a sensor issue from the splashed water and that the few minutes drive would dry it out.

The next morning I started the car only for the engine light to still be on and the engine was tapping loudly. I took it to Copper BMW this morning. They are still looking at it but they have given me a preliminary "heads up" that the air filter was wet and it looks like possible bent conrods as water has got into the engine....
They need to do further diagnostics but are stating the knock on effect of water in the engine means a possible bill for a full engine replacement, circa 12,000...
Has anybody at all got any contacts at all for a respected source for a reconditioned engine as I fear this is the only possible avenue.
Great news to be given at Xmas and New Year eh?
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 05:54 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Would insurance cover something like this?

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 AM

I believe not, they would probably class it as driver error and not as an accident.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:41 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
Hi! I understand what has happened and to be honest the only thing you can do is go for a breakers yard hopefully go with a low mileage example, there are often some for sale, you might be lucky!!! They still retail for 2-4K plus the cost of removal and installation as it is a big old lump!!!

As a foot note I amazed at the amount of idiots (not you of course) on our roads during the floods, they are driving through deep water creating bow waves which is putting water straight into the air intakes, remember the engine is sucking this stuff in hard straight into the inlet manifold, once this happens and it does not take much Boom !!! dead engine.
They have no idea where the air intakes are? some are high on the engine (eg mercedes) or much lower as on many others!!!

This is not covered by insurance and they are effectively writing off their cars!!!!!

Does my bum look good in this !

Last edited by 645/333; 12-31-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM

Iwas doing between 5-10mph. I know the 6 series air intake is very low so I was crawling slow and steadily just to be sure but some idiot in a white Audi Q7 driving the other way did create a bit of a bow in the water as he was driving too fast which hit the driver side of my car and splashed the drivers door and bonnet. I still didn't think it would cause this much damage as the water was lower than the wheels centres. I guess you live and learn. Long shot but I wonder if my car insurance would cover?
Old 12-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Michael

Really bad if that is how you got the water in the engine, as I said some drivers are creating havoc, you make an excellent point that these 4x4 drivers think they are invincible being high up and driving with total disregard for their actions.
I hope for your sake that you are covered, but I have known others to have the same issue and the insurance companies would not pay out. If your car had been parked and then caught in a situation of flooding from rising water then you would be covered.
What is interesting is the amount of warnings in the press for people fixing up flood damaged cars and selling them without disclosing the fact!!!! bad world we live in !!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Yikes, that is scary, I have driven through my share of standing water here in Florida. I know my Wife will push it driving through deep water more than I would.

I would definitely try the insurance route, a colleague once totaled his company car by driving through water. It was covered as flood damage, but it all depends on the carrier.

I don't know of any engine sources, you should see what your dealer could find. I would also contact some independent facilities to see if they have a source, the dealer may not want to deal with an engine from an outside company, your best bet may be to have the car moved to an indie.

Good luck.

Last edited by tampamark; 12-31-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci
Ouch! Man, sorry to hear that! Do you have a warrenty of any kind? I'd look to see what is covered in that, it typically covers major engine & transmission issues.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
If insurance does not cover this I would move the car to an indie and find a used motor. I am pretty sure a dealer will not install a used motor since they have to warranty it. Plus the labour for a dealer vs indie engine install will probably be double if not more.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645ci convertible
Sorry to hear your news, I agree that an Indie replacing the engine with a used lump is probably the best option. Try your insurer you never know your luck. There's a few breakers on EBay breaking 6 series.good luck, keep us informed.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 630i, 525i, 320iC
For a used engine in the UK ring FAB, Quarry Motors or BMSpares, also check EBay too. There seems to be only one available in Lithuania on EBay UK, all the rest are US based.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:51 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Bavarian Auto works....

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Your best defense would be to explain that a crazy driver forced you into deep water, by trying to avoid a collision. If water got inside the cylinders, that could have bent the rods. If you drove the car home without any noise in the engine, it would be strange that it is now a problem. The 1st logical step would be to remove the spark plugs, to see if moisture is in the cylinders.

I would think that a rebuilt motor installed by anyone, would be between 6k to 10k for the repair.

Good Luck!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM

Having partially sunk more than one jetski (), then pulling it to shore and reviving it, if you can get the water out within a short period of time you are OK. Too bad it isn't as easy in a car. It is a tedious procedure of pulling the plugs, running the starter to push the water out, putting a couple of plugs back in to run the engine with lots of Starter Fluid and leaving a plug out to spit more water should it manage to start. If it doesn't go, repeat process first step. Sometimes a bunch of times. Eventually the engine starts, of course it mis-fires like crazy with a plug out and runs rough, but gouts of water push out. Along with gas...when it can run with a couple of plugs you put everything back in, with lots of Starter Fluid, then get it running. It runs like crap for 5-10 minutes then slowly gets the residual water out. Then engine is fine! I have done this twice in salt water and twice in fresh water.

I can only imagine what would happen if this were tried in the 6 with all the controls and sensors!

Last edited by tampamark; 12-31-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel.ranter View Post
For a used engine in the UK ring FAB, Quarry Motors or BMSpares, also check EBay too. There seems to be only one available in Lithuania on EBay UK, all the rest are US based.
The parts from Lithuania are mostly from stolen cars from other countries???????

Old 01-05-2013, 02:08 PM

Final quote from main dealer BMW to replace engine..15,300!!
Insurance Company informed, no haggling, they sent an Assessor to the garage to have a look at it and he has written the car off..so that's the end of my beloved 645..let's see what sort of payout they give me!
I'm gutted, can't believe the car could be written off for what was essentially water about the size of a cup worth.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM
Michael

Hi! Hate to say this but !!! It maybe a blessing in disguise, firstly the insurance company are covering the cost by writing off the car, great news in the circumstances, secondly and most importantly, if you tried selling your car or trading it in you would get a pittance, this way you will get substantially more than you would have done which with cash in hand set you up to make a lovely new purchase.........just makes sure you get a comparable understanding of the price the same model and spec are being sold for at BMW dealers. You can argue that buying one from anywhere else is not what you would do given the need to ensure that the car has been properly serviced etc by BMW..... anyway not wishing to teach granny to suck eggs......
Finally the Z4 you see in the picture has now gone, I paid 29k for it in April 2012 ( I traded in my 6 series for it 8k which they sold for 14.5k, I could not sell it privately) I then sold the Z4 in Sept. 2012 (6 months) and the dealer I purchased the car from would only offer 20K and many dealers refused to even consider it...... now that was a lesson in depreciation and a warning to others!!!!
There were specific reasons for selling the Z4.......~I now have a Mercedes 350CDI E class Convertible, I would have had another 6 series in a heartbeat but only from 2011 onwards or gone to the diesel 630......I still think this is the best forum and enjoy helping others from my experience with my 6 series!!!!!

Last edited by 645/333; 01-05-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint.Magnum View Post
Final quote from main dealer BMW to replace engine..15,300!!
Insurance Company informed, no haggling, they sent an Assessor to the garage to have a look at it and he has written the car off..so that's the end of my beloved 645..let's see what sort of payout they give me!
I'm gutted, can't believe the car could be written off for what was essentially water about the size of a cup worth.
Probably for the best at this point, I hope you come out OK with the settlement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
Finally the Z4 you see in the picture has now gone, I paid 29k for it in April 2012 ( I traded in my 6 series for it 8k which they sold for 14.5k, I could not sell it privately) I then sold the Z4 in Sept. 2012 (6 months) and the dealer I purchased the car from would only offer 20K and many dealers refused to even consider it...... now that was a lesson in depreciation and a warning to others!!!!
That sucks, trading a car in is always favors the dealer. But when you are in a situation like you said, where you are unable to sell it yourself, not much choice. Depreciation in 6 months should be that dramatic, they are just jamming it to you so they can make more money!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Probably for the best at this point, I hope you come out OK with the settlement.

That sucks, trading a car in is always favors the dealer. But when you are in a situation like you said, where you are unable to sell it yourself, not much choice. Depreciation in 6 months should be that dramatic, they are just jamming it to you so they can make more money!
Hi! What made the Z4 purchase really bad, is that it was owned yes owned by BMW as a staff car, I proved to them that in my opinion it had been abused, anyway sorted out some problems but was concerned about others as it developed a knocking noise in the rear, sounded very much like a drive shaft moving in and out of the diff, as it happened on successive bends when the car was warmed up, anyway log tale short BMW recognised that it was a problem but kept fobbing me off about repairing it, at one point saying leave the car with us but we won't work on it for a week and a half, leaving me with no car etc... by which time I had had enough.......even though the car was well within warranty!!! When you have a potential lemon it is so hard to live with it and very hard to get appropriate action as the laws in the UK are very different to your lemon law!!!!!
Funnily enough I stupidly believed that being owned by BMW first would have been a benefit, how wrong I was !!!! I hate learning lessons that cost mega bucks and I am no fool!!!!
PPS Don't want to talk the Z4 down as my brother bought one part on my recommendation, it is his first sports car which is a big thing for him !!! Would I own a Z4 again never!! but will do all in my power to ensure my brother gets the best out of his purchase!!! He does not read the 6 series forum Lol !!!

Last edited by 645/333; 01-06-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 PM

Wow, that is a terrible story! My brother-in-law just bought a 535GT 5 months ago that was a executive staff car that was shipped down to Florida from New Jersey, I don't think I will tell him this story. So far his luck has been good.

The Lemon Law is normally for new cars only, but some states in the U.S. have passes Used Car Lemon Laws, but it is a limited list. It still isn't the easiest process in the world, the article below describes how there are limitations to the timeframe or mileage (15 days for 500 miles in Arizona) that is real low. This makes it real difficult to find out you have a lemon in that span.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-warranty...k-with-it.html

Last edited by tampamark; 01-06-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:07 AM
Michael

Mean't half shafts into differential !!!! Not drive shaft!!!