Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: E36
Exclamation 530d E39 HELP!!!

PLease can anyone help. I have bought my first E39 530d which mechanically runs like a dream but the centre console was butchered. It is my wish to restore all of the original equipment but i know not who to turn to to advise me the correct equipment for the model I have. I went out and bought a radio/cassette which isnt the right one. ballls... the only thing it has is a manual heater control set up... What should I look for and where. The car is a 2004 E39 on a 54 plate... PLEASE HELP....
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Spoon,

I'm just wondering if you've just picked up an Ex Police car similar to my example? I was lucky, just 3 small screw holes on the console trim and 3 more on top of the dashboard and the oem radio cassette in a bag in the boot totally and completely unused!

I'd say it's not worth putting in a radio/cassette as these later E39's need the 'flat pin' version head units which command 'stupid prices' - the brand new one I had I sold on ebay for close to 300 !

I'd say it's much more worthwhile to go aftermarket, here's what my interior with my Alpine head unit and LumiDock looks like;

Do nip over to the UK centric bmw5.co.uk - I have the same username over there and have a look in the audio section as there are products etc I can supply for you. There's also a bit more discussion being UK centric as we here in the UK will soon have AM switched off and FM will only have a few local stations in just a few years time, further making the oem radio/cassette redundant.

Cheers, Dennis!
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: E36
Dennis,
Thank you for getting back to me, you were more fortunate then I.
I have attached a few pictures with this message so that you can see what I am up against.
So far I have replaced the entire center console and underside of the dashboard, I also have replaced what I think is the correct brackets.

However, as you will be able to see from the pictures I still have a bit of work to do as the remaining parts do not see to make sense. Hence my call for help, I would prefer to restore the stereo to BMW original with CD player instead of the tape player.

I will have a look at the other page you have mentioned and see where we go from there...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000013 (2).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	355360   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000014 (2).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	355361   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000015 (2).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	355362   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000016 (2).jpg
Views:	32
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	355363   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000017 (2).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	355364  

Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
This site may help you determine what equipment was originally installed: http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

There may also be a build sheet under the rear seat cushion, but it will be in German.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: 03 Ex Cop 530d Touring
Hi Spoon

That's not too bad actually, the harnesses and connectors are all there and not 'hacked' off as sometimes can be the case. I think you might need the metal frame which holds the AC panel and the ASC/PDC bit in place properly, then everything will 'fit' correctly there. As you can see from my pic, the AC panel is uppermost, then the PDC/ASC panel and underneath that is the cupholders.

As for which audio units you go for, it looks like the harness for the radio cassette. I'm not sure if the harness is the same for the MID display panel, so if you want that setup along with a CD player just above (this setup will have split pieces) you might have to get extra harnesses and/or have the right clocks in the instrument cluster as well as coding to do.

Nip to bmw5.co.uk, as there's a few very knowledgeable guys who've done transplants etc with part numbers etc needed. If you post up a pic of your instrument cluster, they'll be able to tell you what bits will be needed etc.

Cheers, Dennis!