Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
Dude relax.

You already have an Audi and a Dodge...you're not getting into any new territory, reliability wise...lol.
ZING!

Good one - LOL.

Let's hope our future BMW is at least as reliable as the current fleet then!
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 3.0
Gentlemen, I am a new "prospective" 2004 X5 3.0 owner and I can tell you that buying a used BMW has me more than concerned. Years ago I traded a Porsche for a new 3 series BMW. I loved and pampered the car but sadly it could not be fixed and had a habit of stranding me. I traded it on a Honda after 2 years. Since then I've owned 4 or 5 new Hondas since . They are bullet proof and satisfying to drive, please save the anecdotal stories, the Jap cars are more reliable (count to 10 and breathe), LOL. BUT they do look like every other Jap car. So I found a highly depreciated but beautifully kept one owner X5, with an excellent history. The wife says"take a chance". BUT after researching BMW relability I just don't know...I do not like being stranded or held up by highway men (dealers). Advice is encouraged. Now let me give you a THEORY (half baked as always) as to why the S.C. plant seems to be unable to produce a reliable machine. Simply put, corporate culture or corporate greed, you choose. I read several stories about hundreds of unhappy part time workers working next to full time workers and being paid half. I read a story about how BMW set what seemed to be unrealistic corporate goals for production and plant assembly manufacturing up-time. Then several years later they added several other models on the same line, a line which was already having reliability problems. I'm sure the pressured parts maufacturers never said no to another round of faulty parts (check out the pano roofs if you think I am wrong), just keep blasting them out. Anyone who wants to keep his or her job in a right to work state learns to say what the boss wants to hear. Just a theory, but how else can you explain so many uncorrected reliability problems. Do your own research, draw your own conclusions. No hate please. I envy those who can watch their unusable asset depreciate so quickly without pain. As I said I am a prospective X5 owner/fan, with cash for repairs, sadly wondering why it has to be this way? My first post, be kind.

Last edited by Skyking747; 03-25-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Sky, you are in the E70 forum. You might want to post your question in the E53 forum (2004 X5 is an E53 model)
Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Thanks

Thank you, you are correct, advice would be better sought in the other forum. It was the reliability question that had me interested. Can you tell me if the X5 is still produced in S.C.? I believe there are other, and seemingly less desirable, production sites as well. This would make a great MBA case study.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Yes, the X5 (along with X3 and X1) are produced in SC.

Last edited by finnbmw; 03-25-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:55 PM

Re:

Thanks, as I thought, the X5 reliability issue seems to cross quite a few years, models and options. I'll find my way to the E53 poor man's community now

Happy and Safe Motoring!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Yes, the X5 (along with X3 and X1) are produced in SC.
BMW X1 is based on the 3, therefore is made in Lepizig.

X5, X6, X3 and upcoming X4 are built there.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '12 X5 35i
A forum like this can inadvertently distort perception. Yes, problem areas exist, but the statistical likelihood of a particular owner having a problem is small. I have had three X5s and all have been "reliable" by any standard. If it were otherwise I would get something else; although never a Honda Pilot.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
BMW X1 is based on the 3, therefore is made in Lepizig.

X5, X6, X3 and upcoming X4 are built there.
I stand corrected, thank you
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 3.5i SAV
As a new member of not only the forum, but also the brand, I have to say that I hope a lot of what I am reading here are isolated incidents. I left the dark side (Mercedes) due to the lack of reliability of the last 2 trucks that I had owned. A 2009 ML350, and a 2010 GL450. You want to talk nightmares everything from the climate control system to brakes that wouldn't stop squeaking, to intermittant electrical gremlins that the dealer could not diagnose. I'm happy to be here, and hope that the X5 proves to be superior in every way.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Mercedes ranks a lot better than BMW in JDPower

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...lity-study.htm

Scroll down
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM
BMW ****

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 3.5i SAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
Mercedes ranks a lot better than BMW in JDPower

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...lity-study.htm

Scroll down
Not the reply I was hoping for on a BMW Fan Forum
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpowerturbo View Post
Not the reply I was hoping for on a BMW Fan Forum
Lol!

2008 Chevy Trailblazer SS (Sale pending)
1971 Buick Skylark
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
As a new member of not only the forum, but also the brand, I have to say that I hope a lot of what I am reading here are isolated incidents. I left the dark side (Mercedes) due to the lack of reliability of the last 2 trucks that I had owned. A 2009 ML350, and a 2010 GL450. You want to talk nightmares everything from the climate control system to brakes that wouldn't stop squeaking, to intermittant electrical gremlins that the dealer could not diagnose. I'm happy to be here, and hope that the X5 proves to be superior in every way.
Honestly, if MB is doing anything right, it's reliability. They're rated higher than Honda, Hyundai, Acura, infiniti, etc these days. That is fantastic!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Honestly, if MB is doing anything right, it's reliability. They're rated higher than Honda, Hyundai, Acura, infiniti, etc these days. That is fantastic!
Where??
Old 03-28-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking747 View Post
Anyone who wants to keep his or her job in a right to work state learns to say what the boss wants to hear.
... as opposed to a "required to not work" state (union-mandated), where a bad employee is practically impossible to fire.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge1 View Post
Where??
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dep...ss-release.htm

Mercedes is up at the top.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d; 750Li; IS F
Quote:
It's not.

We also had an '09 ML but ours was a 320 BT. Pretty much identical issues with both the ML and our X5, mostly sensor and emission/DEF delivery issues. Difference, for us, has been above average service from our BMW dealership, while the MB dealership was flat out terrible.

They target very different demographics. MB is targetting the luxury market, while BMW is after those that place a higher premium on driving dynamics. Hence why the wife preferred the ML and I favored the X5. Both are good vehicles, neither of which are terribly reliable.

Good luck with your X5.

'11 750 Li Xdrive Alpine White
'10 X5 35d Space Grey
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 and X5 Diesel
Quote:
I recall reading about 8-10 years ago that Mercedes was having a lot of reliability problems, and the Management figured-out one of the reasons was putting to many "bells and whistles" on the vehicles that didn't add much value to the customer, but increased complexity and reduced reliability. So they said they were going be more judicious about features and take-out the ones that people didn't use in real life.

Not sure if that explains it, but it appears that on a larger scale, Mercedes accepted and digested the data they got back then, and did something to fix things in response. BMW seems be be more in the denial mode, as are some BMW fans, and spend their efforts denying the validity of the data, rather than actually addressing the problem. Just like BMW tries to reduce warranty costs by blaming the owner and denying valid claims, vs. fixing the problem to eliminate the claim in the first place.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Zuma Man

Mein Auto: X5 35d
No problems nor worries so far

Currently have 37,000 miles on my 2011 X5 35d. Other than two recalls, and scheduled service, have never had a reason or occasion to bring the vehicle to the dealer. I am very satisfied with every aspect and attribute associated with my X5. Great power and mileage. A pleasure to drive on long trips especially in inclement weather. So far, no complaints nor worries.