Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 525i
Update 2!

Ran the engine and disconnected ignition coils one by one, one of them caused no change in engine idle. Popped it off and looked at the spark plug, there was a tiny bit of oil (?) in the spark plug hole. Rolled up a tube of paper (lol) and got the little bit of oil out, reattatched and the engine ran fine. Didn't think to check if engine idle changed after I cleaned it out, but the symptoms dissappeared when I ran it around the block. Might have been a small shudder, but could just be in my mind. So, oil causing a short connection explains everything, right? But how did the oil get there in the first place? Bad seals, possibly. The other plugs looked fine. My pcv valve breather hose was missing when I bought it, reattatched a new one a few weeks back. For what it's worth, I've been suspecting a headgasket slowly going out, could that cause oil to leak into spark plugs?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:10 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amk42092 View Post
Update 2!

Ran the engine and disconnected ignition coils one by one, one of them caused no change in engine idle. Popped it off and looked at the spark plug, there was a tiny bit of oil (?) in the spark plug hole. Rolled up a tube of paper (lol) and got the little bit of oil out, reattatched and the engine ran fine. Didn't think to check if engine idle changed after I cleaned it out, but the symptoms dissappeared when I ran it around the block. Might have been a small shudder, but could just be in my mind. So, oil causing a short connection explains everything, right? But how did the oil get there in the first place? Bad seals, possibly. The other plugs looked fine. My pcv valve breather hose was missing when I bought it, reattatched a new one a few weeks back. For what it's worth, I've been suspecting a headgasket slowly going out, could that cause oil to leak into spark plugs?
That can certainly cause your symptoms. That oil is coming from a leaking valve cover gasket. This is common. You can do a search here or Google and find a lot of DIY information on that. PelicanParts.com has some great tutorials. Your engine is the M50 with vanos which is the same as came in the E36 from 93 to 95, so if you see a tutorial for the E36 vanos M50, it will be the same as yours. Actually, the tutorial on any M50 should be the same for the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Hey, amk42092, I just posted this and it could be helpful in your situation.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667305

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-01-2013, 05:34 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
Vcg did you do this recently ? If not look at your spark plug wells may be full of oil. Double check that too. But this is unlikely to be the problem frankly as the problem only shows up when hot right ?

Anyways, always double check things.
Well you learn something new every day. Oil in wells causes no problems when cold but problems when hot. Hmm.

Actually, it sounds like you didn't have much oil in there to begin with. Small quantities of oil should not be causing these problems (unlike water for instance), as oil's conductivity is much lower.

Please remove all of your ignition coils and look at each plug's well carefully. Remove any oil that is present using cleenex etc SPray carb cleaner in a little, and blow it out using a hose and your lungs.

Spray carb cleaner into the coil's rubber boots, let it stand upright for a second, then drain. If the fluid that comes out does not look clear, then it was dirty to begin with and repeat this on that coil boot again. Once drained, blow dry as best as you can, then squeeze some dielectric grease into the boot, then reinstall over the plug. Please do this for all the coils. Recheck for leakages every 14 days and monitor. If it is mild, you can wait till later to fix, if not, you ought to do it much sooner and the procedure is not straightforward in terms of torquing down and points at which sealant should and should not be applied.

I would also suggest that you check your coils according to Steve's method. Am not completely convinced that a little oil can cause the problems that you mention.

btw, spraying carb cleaner onto the coils, or into the coil's boot where it will make contact with the underside of the coil, is perfectly safe. The coil is a sealed unit.

rgds,
Roberto
Old 01-02-2013, 04:51 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Instead of carb cleaner, I would suggest electrical parts cleaner, it leaves less petroleum residue than carb cleaner and is designed for cleaning electrical parts. Save the carb cleaner for cleaning intake parts.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5