Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335I, E93 Alpine \ Brown
Center dash rattle

Hi there, I Just bought a CPO 335I. great car well cared BUT, a rattle coming from the center dash, around , behind or under NAV screen area comes but only after reaching 82-85 mph and onwards, this leads me to believe is wind related but I checked all over to find any loose panels outside, underside , engine bay, can not find anything. Also tends to be more noticeable on wide open highways (no walls or buildings around) I will take to dealer, but you know them, I will have to convince them to bring a tech inside and have him or me drive to the nearest interstate and speed over 80 mph o be able to demonstrate the rattle.

Anyone has this problem ?

Good Luck & Thanks for the feedback

2008 335i E93, Alpine \ Saddle Brown, 19"M3 wheels, lip, loaded. DROP TOP

2008 wife's X3, Auto,Sports activity pack,platinum bronze, black leatherette. ED Drop off Rome Dec 12th. Dec 20 onboard the Otello.Sched NY arrival Jan 05. Redelivered Jan 23, just 6 weeks wait. BOTH RETIRED !!!
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i E92 Coupe
The wind speed related rattle is well known and believed to be a vibration in the plastic wings (or as you call them, fenders) which have a sliding element in the securing bolts to allow for expansion in hot weather. The 'cure' involves applying Loctite 454 to the securing bolts to prevent the movement.

I'm not convinced this is a lasting cure, however and I think it may be related to the interaction between plastic parts associated with the pollen filter assembly and the scuttle at the base of the windscreen.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Meyle HD droplinks; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Saikoumichi OCC; K&N; Cyba scoops; RM intake hose; BMW Perf Exhaust; M3 rear spoiler; LED Angels; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof

Old 09-28-2012, 06:30 AM

Hi Phil, thanks for the feedback. Ok if it is know then the dealer I HOPE will know the remedy. I had other 2 335's and this is the first with the noise. I will do some detaililng this weekend I will check any bolt and nut around and tighten, seal. I prefer to stay away from the dealer, unless necessary.

Have a great weekend

Cheers !

2008 wife's X3, Auto,Sports activity pack,platinum bronze, black leatherette. ED Drop off Rome Dec 12th. Dec 20 onboard the Otello.Sched NY arrival Jan 05. Redelivered Jan 23, just 6 weeks wait. BOTH RETIRED !!!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM

Wait a second, now that I think twice about it. I noticed that on the first 15 minutes of driving even above 80 mph there is no noise and it gradually starts . Also 2 nights ago it was raining and there was no noise at all.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFOS View Post
Wait a second, now that I think twice about it. I noticed that on the first 15 minutes of driving even above 80 mph there is no noise and it gradually starts . Also 2 nights ago it was raining and there was no noise at all.
Just follow up. Did complete detail but ended to tired to look for the cause of the rattle. However, surprisingly, no noise the last 2 days, I did not touched anything, maybe the pressure on the fenders from applying and removing the polish ?. well, hopefully I do will not post any further comments, unless the noise comes back.

Have a great week.

Jeff

Old 01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Not meaning to necro-post this, but I just solved what I believe is related to this rattle in the center of the dash, emanating from the center speaker/vent housing. Looking through penske parts web site, I discovered that there are actually two pieces (which makes twice the amount of possible irritating noise) to this (# 2 and 5 in the attached graphic). The cold weather brought this on, as a creak/rattle. If you gently press upon the speaker grill on top, I could easily reproduce it.

Popping off the #2 panel, just requires a credit card and pop from the corners in front, then sides and finally the rear. The panel is surprisingly rugged, as it probably sees extreme temp changes in the dash.

Removing #5 requires torx T-20, 4 screws. Place small towels in the vent areas, if you drop a screw in either of those, you're SCREWED so to speak, as far as anti-rattling goes . The panel pulls out, unplug the speaker.

To eliminate this rattle/creak, I used Krytox 205 in small amounts on all the areas where #2 attached to #5. You'll see the built-in plastic clips and the associated grooves where they attach. You can test by reassembling #2 and #5 outside of the vehicle.

I applied Krytox where #5 sat in the dash, along the edges on the underside of #5. You can test this by gently re-inserting #5 into the dash and pressing/tapping upon it. I also applied a small amount of Krytox under the washer of each T-20 screw.

Once you're satisfied, reassemble in the reverse directions as above, not forgetting to attach the center mid-range speaker. Remove the towels you smartly placed into each vent hole. Assemble #2 onto #5 from the rear attachment points first and give the entire piece a gentle tap/press to confirm the rattle/creak has subsided.

If you're not comfortable taking these items apart, bring this thread to your dealer and reproduce it. Finding these rattles/creaks in the winter assures a reduction in sound during the summer.

This was the last rattle/creak I had to find in the M3, which was surprisingly rattle free except for a few obvious spots. The rear of the M3 has substantial bracing to counter the forces that would normally cause the deck creak and substantial reinforcements in the center and the front of the chassis, making the M3 far more rigid than the non-M3 E90. Hope this helps some folks out.

Attachment: Penske parts diagram: E90 Vehicle Trim / Trim Panel Dashboard Mounting

Parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 7.06.12 AM.png
Views:	290
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	355593   Click image for larger version

Name:	krytoxi.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	273.7 KB
ID:	355594  

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust

Last edited by thekurgan; 01-02-2013 at 07:18 AM.