Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 07-21-2015, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Question Suggestions and Minnesota BMW Motorworks A++++

Warning: Kind of a long read.

Hello I'm new here. I have a 2014 X1 Xdrive28i from new, and have *mostly* loved this car. I have all the upgrades except sound (lot model). Currently at 16,600 miles and in for full service (see below for surprises!)

I'm coming from a 2010 Mazda 3 2.5L Hatchback which was a lovely car and a blast to drive with 6-speed manual but they could just not get any level of acceptable performance out of that engine, and the interior plastics were awful in winter especially with the sound system running the rattling drove me mad (I had 10 speaker premium sound).

Anyway I have a few little issues that have been bothering me:

* Interior trim squeaks and rattles it's worse than many cars I've owned even a crappy Chevy Equinox (actually not a bad car until the car just decided to switch off all electronics while driving).

* Driver side door closing sound is not the sweet sweet noise I am used to from other models. It sounds worse than my Mazda and worse than my friends Chevy cruise. It is simply not as refined as I expected from such a premium vehicle. Can this be adjusted or just a consequence of the higher profile - I do notice the passenger door closes without the same sound.

* I have the 2.0L Twin Turbo engine and it is FANTASTIC but it sometimes has severe hesitation I don't know if this is just me getting used to automatic from 6-speed manual.

* During very hot periods with the A/C running, or during very cold periods with the Heat running there is an extremely loud *BANG* or *CRACK* that seems to originate from the middle/right dash area but hard to tell. Mostly occurs over small bumps and after temperatures equalize it seems to go away (see below). I've never noticed this before in any car I've owned even going back 30 years.

* Front suspension clunks and rattles a bit and rear suspension rattles like a tin full of bolts during extremely cold weather. I assume this is the end-links needing tightening but as we are in summer I'm not going to touch it.

* Steering is very heavy and I love that, but sometimes it just feels like a tad too much. I believe this is full hydraulic no assist any way to tweak that?

* 18 Inch wheels as standard and some horribly crappy tires result in occasional minor shaking but mostly on bad roads. Doesn't bother me too much but replacement tire recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

* For winter (Minnesota) should I just get cheapo steel 15-16 inch wheels and some appropriate tires?

* Automatic folding side mirrors sound like they are groaning especially during hot weather. Its not the motor it sounds like plastic rubbing.

* I'd like to upgrade the engine a little bit with better intake flow (and deeper sound) and some form of ECU/boost upgrade to unleash this gem of an engine. I've heard the ECU is encrypted so are there actually reliable options I can used? I've heard JB4 works but I just don't know enough about it having never owned a turbo car let alone a top-end twin turbo.

* I have two horrible little exhausts poking from the back end on the drivers side. This completely ruins the back end in my opinion. Any possible solutions of reasonable costs?

* Upgrading the sound system - can I do it and does it really prevent the on-board sounds from working? I've performed many extremely high-end stereo installations on older cars so I know what I'm doing (including tuning with a tone generator and oscilloscope) and I'm not going for horrible bolt shattering BASS I just want higher volume without distortion and complete range.

As for Service:
=========

I took my car to the dealer just this past Friday for scheduled maintenance and mentioned a few items including the banging/cracking in the dash/windshield area. They have not been able to reproduce it because the temps have backed off but nonetheless they are removing and replacing the entire windshield, all seals, and checking the rear dash for any contact points. This is apparently all covered. I'm pretty shocked they did this rather than just the usual 'can't reproduce so sorry'. Major props to BMW Motorwerks in Bloomington Minnesota I also purchased the car from there new.

On the downside they gave me a brand new 335i and of course I'm smitten . The steering is super loose compared to the X1 but the engine is a wondrous work of engineering. The seats are far more comfortable than the X1 and there are absolutely no knocks or rattles from any interior trim or suspension components.

I may very well find myself trading in my X1 for a 3-series it is obviously a far superior product yielding much higher production quality. It also looks better which isn't hard the X1 is by far the ugliest BMW I've ever seen but then again so was my 2010 Mazda3 5-door hatch =)

Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate any input on possible mods/suggestions etc.

Advertisement
Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Wait for the 3 LCI out in sept, M sport pack hopefully they fix the "super loose" steering by then

The next X1 is out by year end too

Looks nicer, better interior but steering will be super loose and it's Front Wheel Drive biased car
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
Wait for the 3 LCI out in sept, M sport pack hopefully they fix the "super loose" steering by then

The next X1 is out by year end too

Looks nicer, better interior but steering will be super loose and it's Front Wheel Drive biased car
Two things I hate about modern cars:

* Front wheel drive.
* Electronic assist steering.

In both cases the Mazda3 is an exception for me it was an extremely competent rig with excellent handling but limited stock power and tons of under-steer. The Mazdaspeed3 came along and pretty much proved why so much power does not belong in a front-wheel drive car. It was a torque steering monster - not so much fun as frightening.

Yeah I know the X1 is 'all-wheel-drive' but at least it has some power going to the rear. I'm in no way a drifter I don't even know how to do that but all the *decent* rear wheel drive cars I've tried are just so much more fun. IMHO it's a good part of what set BMW apart over the years and I'm saddened to see them caving in to 'progress'. I believe it robs the car of any soul and I can't get the same lines due to under-steer coupled with my amateur track skills.

Except the dodge challenger I'm sorry but that thing is pretty much only good for going fast in straight lines and hoping you have enough room to brake. The handling was absolutely horrendous the sales rep said it had exquisite handling and just I laughed myself out of the dealership (not meaning to offend anyone here). I had a similar experience with the Mustang but I've heard the new models are exceptionally improved (Ford/Mazda in general are making great strides).

I did test drive the Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Ultimate with 6-speed manual and rear wheel drive and was thoroughly impressed with the stiffness and handling - to a point. The car felt just way to heavy. Hyundai have make significant strides over the past decade and I really do hope they consider something to compete with the BMW 3-series with proper rear-wheel drive and a monster engine that is a bit more refined. Interior quality seems to improve yearly so I'm keeping an eye out.

Lotus Elise - Not much to say here I'm still recovering from that experience. It's like driving a go-cart with a rocket engine and tires permanently glued to the road. It's also likely to shake apart your spine and dislodge your brain stem. What a car/go-cart/engine with wheels!

I've only 2 years on the X1 and 16,600 miles but it's almost paid off so I'm really not sure what to do. I've considered keeping it and stripping it down for a humorous track car with that engine and some upgraded suspension it could be a world of fun.

Other option is to drive it into the ground but I'm concerned with BMW crappy warranty period just how much it's going to cost to keep it in peak condition (I LOVE my cars and en-devour to keep them functioning at or better than factory performance).

I just wish I could squish my X1 down a little bit, maybe 6-12 inches, and make it a little wider. I yearn for that aggressive wide BMW stance that drives my dopamine levels up and up.

=)
Old 07-21-2015, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweeney23 View Post
Other option is to drive it into the ground but I'm concerned with BMW crappy warranty period just how much it's going to cost to keep it in peak condition (I LOVE my cars and en-devour to keep them functioning at or better than factory performance).

I just wish I could squish my X1 down a little bit, maybe 6-12 inches, and make it a little wider. I yearn for that aggressive wide BMW stance that drives my dopamine levels up and up.

=)
Modern BMW cars are so complicated with lots of sensors + poorly sealed engines => so unreliable with lots of oil leaks after 80,000km... so I would not keep it beyond 50,000 Miles (or 80,000km)
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 GTI, x1 x28 incoming
As for tires, I'm a big proponent of having two sets of wheels/tires for summer and winter seasons. All season tires will always out be out-performed by summers in wet and dry, and by snows in winter. To that end, Continental ExtremeContacts are my summer tires of choice. And I'll probably be picking up Pirellis for this winter. The Contis are superior to the stock runflats in every way (for wet/dry driving).
Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Your post is not that long, and most welcome.
Tell us more about your ride?
What options/packages do you have? Be specific.

And of course.... show us some pics.

Last edited by stonex1; 07-21-2015 at 08:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 PM

Sure will, I just got my car back from service and they completely replaced the windshield in an attempt to stop the annoying bang/crack noise and it still has tape so they didn't do a carwash =(

I'll take it in tomorrow for the free wash and then get some pics.

The car was a lot model 5-door 2014 X1 xDrive28i with winter package, technology package with navigation satellite radio, backup camera, power front seats etc., and it has the nice folding side mirrors and a great big moon-roof. It also plays DVD's even while driving which is a bit surprising to me although its mostly for the benefit of my GF when we travel - I don't get distracted.

I actually had no intention of buying I just wanted to test drive it as my Equinox was just feeling too 'big' and was developing electrical problems.

The lot model I test drove had everything I wanted in the exact color both inside and out but missing the sound system upgrade. I couldn't help myself after a quick test drive I was smitten and had to have it. I got an OK deal i'm terrible at negotiation but they gave me $3000 more trade-in than my car was actually worth so that helped. It came to around $43k all in with no down payment and a decent interest rate considering my crappy history. It's a balloon loan after two years (due in a few months now) but the car will still be worth far more than the balloon payment so I'll either refinance the balloon or trade up to a 3-series.

I'm averaging 21.1mpg since initial purchase which is a little low but I don't use Eco-pro much and really enjoy unleashing the acceleration whenever possible (love the engine sound even so muted). I use top-level premium gas only, ever.

The mechanical steering is awesome it's a little heavy but the road feel is wonderful, and the suspension is nice and stiff I don't like to dampen the road conditions I'd rather feel everything.

The seats are comfortable but not as nice as the 3-series sport seats in my loaner.

If I decide to keep the car I'm looking to upgrade to a nice throaty cold/ram air intake, some form of boost mod and a decent exhaust without sounding over the top. I'd like to widen the stance a bit but I've had trouble in the past with over-sizes wheels and spacers it seems to screw up the scrub radius and even high end alignment shops couldn't get it quite right (plus it damaged my rack and pinion on my Mazda3).

I did a complete front and rear-end replacement on my Mazda3 with upgraded A-arms, shocks, struts endlinks, sway bars, and replaced an engine mount that was torn etc. this was my first foray into serious car work and it was really fun and educational. A bit tough without a lift but I found inventive methods =) I even aligned the car myself by hand using the laser/string method and had it checked and the values were better than stock, maybe just beginners luck =)

I don't think I'll attempt anything like that myself on a BMW it's obviously a superior piece of engineering and I'm too scared to get myself in deep water.

Anyway I'll get some pics tomorrow.