Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM
Bond Girl

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328i
328i Bumper Repair Quote, Advice Needed

I'm looking for some advice regarding a quote I recently got from my dealership for a front bumper repair. A couple of weeks ago, I scraped the bottom of my bumper on a curb while backing out of a parking lot, and the result was a bit of curb rash and a four inch long crack on the bottom of the bumper - not extremely noticeable, but noticeable enough that it bothers me, and it's a bit obvious if one is actually looking for the crack if I pointed it out to you. Unfortunately, with the 328i the entire front has to be replaced in order to repair this. The dealership is asking $1,098.75, which includes parts, painting, and labor costs. Here is the breakdown they gave me:

Parts = $550
Body Labor = 3.0 hrs x $46/hr = $138
Paint Labor = 4.2 hrs x $46/hr = $193
Paint Supplies = 4.2 hrs x $34/hr = $142.80
Grand total (w/tax) = $1098.75

What I'm wondering here is if this cost is worth it for a crack that size, or if I should just get a bumper cover. I also looked into ordering the part myself, and eBay lists it for $150 from certain sellers. However I question the quality of a part not ordered directly from the manufacturer, and if I'm going to repair this I really want it done right and I don't want results that will cost me later. Should I continue to shop around and compare prices with other body shops, or is this a standard price for a repair like this? Any suggestions?

"Just the thing for unwinding after a rough day at the office."
BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Ads by Google
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
Google bumper repair and see if anyone can repair the crack for a lot less. You can email them a picture and they can let you know and will usually come out and fix it at your home or work if it's repairable. I would think you could repair the crack like you could an impression or deep gouge with bondo and a paint match depending on the situation. I have had a few jobs done on mine and they always look brand new for around $200.00.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Just look on ebay for a pre painted remanufactured bumper. My dealer repaired my mangled bumper for $608 after i hit someone at less than 5mph.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
Just Google it, I just tried it and found a guy locally who is mobile and has a video on his site that shows you how to diy... the video is FF the whole time but it gives you the general idea of how to do it yourself. just my 2 cents I can pm you the link if you want it.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisingbimmer View Post
The dealership is asking $1,098.75, which includes parts, painting, and labor costs. Here is the breakdown they gave me:

Parts = $550
Body Labor = 3.0 hrs x $46/hr = $138
Paint Labor = 4.2 hrs x $46/hr = $193
Paint Supplies = 4.2 hrs x $34/hr = $142.80
Grand total (w/tax) = $1098.75
Why would paint supplies be quoted in terms of cost per hour? (Makes it look like the paint supplies got some labor representation.)

For those in the know is this normal and if it is, why is it not just quoted as $XXX.xx for paint supplies?

To the OP, another car I have was purchased used and had cracks in the bumper that the dealer had repaired before I got eyes on it. Every now and then I can see the patch work and the paint is not an exact match if I really scrutinize. To the unsuspecting observer, though, they'd never know the patch is there.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Bond Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBoyWA View Post
Why would paint supplies be quoted in terms of cost per hour? (Makes it look like the paint supplies got some labor representation.)

For those in the know is this normal and if it is, why is it not just quoted as $XXX.xx for paint supplies?

To the OP, another car I have was purchased used and had cracks in the bumper that the dealer had repaired before I got eyes on it. Every now and then I can see the patch work and the paint is not an exact match if I really scrutinize. To the unsuspecting observer, though, they'd never know the patch is there.
You know, as far as paint supplies being quoted in terms of cost per hour, I was wondering the exact same thing. When I looked at the print out with my quote information, I was honestly baffled by that. Then again, it doesn't surprise me - could just be a psychological sales tactic used to draw the customer's eye away from the paint supplies cost, making it seem like that particular dollar amount blends in with the rest. Who knows. I'd like to have the answer too.

Re your car that had cracks in the bumper - I understand and can relate, thanks for sharing that story. An unsuspecting observer honestly wouldn't notice my bumper unless I pointed it out, but the fact that the crack is there is irksome because I know it was my fault and it's a constant reminder!

BMW CCA Member 473595

2009 E90 Alpine White | Saddle Brown | Sport | Premium | Comfort Access | iDrive | Steptronic | Super Fantastic | Bavarian Beast

Old 01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Bond Girl

Thanks for the great pointers, all. Google is very helpful indeed. Still shopping around locally as well for a more reasonable price.

BMW CCA Member 473595

Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328i
PM Sent
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i ZSP
Check craigs list for used OEM bumper covers. I am selling an OEM one from a 2006 in Sacramento for $30 and getting very little response. Shipping would kill any out of town deal as this thing is huge. Take used bumper cover to paint shop and paint for around $350-400. Put it on yourself.