Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-02-2013, 01:19 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Clicking joystick left to "S". Is this different than "Sport" button?

OK I know I should "read the manual" but I just discovered I could click my joystick to the left!

I notice it revs higher and is more responsive, but does it do anything additional to clicking the button to Sport Mode? If it does then DAMN I have more fun in store for me. I can't imagine how responsive this car will feel with BOTH ticked.

Ordered: 2015 Porsche Macan S / SportDesign.

Ex MB's: 11/10/06 E350 "Sport", 02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Advertisement
Old 02-02-2013, 05:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10, E39, Audi Q7
The sport button also adjusts suspension and steering. Moving the shifter to the left only changes the transmission and gear ratios.

Prior BMW's: 1987 325e|1993 740i|1998 740il|2002 745li|2007 750li|2006 750li
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
The sport button also adjusts suspension and steering. Moving the shifter to the left only changes the transmission and gear ratios.
THANK YOU! I figured that would be the case.

So I assume on a 2013 M Sport with the new M Steel Suspension, it would just leave out the sportier steering feel? I'd assume improved throttle response would be tied to the the Joystick-to-the-left. Also, I therefore also assume that clicking the joystick to "S" mode (left) WHILE having the Sport button already pressed, wouldn't do anything additional?

Oh, and is this only a feature that comes with Sport Auto Transmission?

Learning something new about this car every day. Between the button, the joystick right/left click, the joystick manual mode, and the paddle shifters, there's an insane amount of ways to customize the feel of your car.... and so many ways to engage a quicker/more powerful response when you have to safely beat a light or pass someone, that it almost gets confusing.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix; 2015 X5 35ix
You should also be aware that placing the transmission in sport mode prevents the transmission from upshifting to the 8th gear. This applies whether you make the selection using the stick or iDrive. If you use iDrive you can disable the sport shifting and retain the sport steering if you make the appropriate selections. At least this is how it works on the 2011 models.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
You should also be aware that placing the transmission in sport mode prevents the transmission from upshifting to the 8th gear. This applies whether you make the selection using the stick or iDrive. If you use iDrive you can disable the sport shifting and retain the sport steering if you make the appropriate selections. At least this is how it works on the 2011 models.
Wow, okay that's more interesting stuff. Separating the steering with the Trans would be something I'd be interested in, since a lot of times it's just pointless to rev the engine up (though it feels cool) during normal driving, but I would really like to be able to have whatever the Sport steering does differently (still haven't been able to notice a difference, but I haven't payed close enough attention).

Anyone know if you can do this with 2013's? I haven't been able to find anything like that on iDrive.

Still wondering if having the Sport button pushed WITH the joysick to the left does anything different (or more "sportily") than simply having the Sport button pushed on its own. Also wondering if non SAT cars can click the joystick to the left.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Look under iDrive, settings, SPORT mode.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-02-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
K-A, I prefered to drive my 535s like this: Always move the shifter to the left when coming to a stop and not move it back to D until I reached cruising speed. After a short while this becomes 2nd nature and makes the car a lot more enjoyable. It eliminates many complains about the tranny and isn't much extra work. Try it, I think you might like it. On the F10 I configured the Sport button to chassi only and activated it everytime I drove the car, this of some reason felt more like a pita maneuver.

Last edited by solstice; 02-02-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Anyone know if you can do this with 2013's? I haven't been able to find anything like that on iDrive.
It looks like this setting was disabled in the I-drive for 2013...I have tried and could not
find it. Instead, I just put the car in Sport mode and move the shifter to manual to control
the shift points. Plus, I can still get 8th gear for highway cruising.

BOW TO BMW
Old 02-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
This is also a question of mine. So the Sport/Comfort button focuses on suspension and steering settings, while the Sport/Manual shifter mode focuses on drivetrain settings, but the Sport/Comfort button can also change drivetrain settings. By placing the shifter into Sport mode, does it go above and beyond what the Sport button does with regard to drivetrain settings or is it duplicitous (I have a 6 speed transmission)? Thanks!

Last edited by dbs600; 02-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
This is also a question of mine. So the Sport/Comfort button focuses on suspension and steering settings, while the Sport/Manual shifter mode focuses on drivetrain settings, but the Sport/Comfort button can also change drivetrain settings. By placing the shifter into Sport mode, does it go above and beyond what the Sport button does with regard to drivetrain settings or is it duplicitous? Thanks!
It's duplicous. There is only one sport setting for throttle response and shift points. You can activate it either by moving the shifter to the left "S" or the mode button to Sport ( if configured ) or Sport+. Doing both will not change the throttle/tranny to a more agressive mode. At least it didn't on my 2011.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Thanks! Funny thing is I'm not sure why someone would want a tighter suspension mode without the added 'power'. Also seems 'cooler' (more interactive) to drop the shifter to the left than to press the Sport button. Happy BMW walked back the 'attenuated' steering wheel mounted shifter on the E65; whether or not it's all drive by wire these days...

Last edited by dbs600; 02-02-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Thanks! Funny thing is I'm not sure why someone would want a tighter suspension mode without the added 'power'. Also seems 'cooler' (more interactive) to drop the shifter to the left than to press the Sport button. Happy BMW walked back the 'attenuated' steering wheel mounted shifter on the E65; whether or not it's all drive by wire these days...
Because the sport transmission mode holds the gears too damn long for normal driving. I don't want every upshift to occur at 4,000 rpm when I'm commuting in traffic or just tooling around, but often times I want the sportier ride.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 02-02-2013, 03:15 PM

Funny thing is I've noticed I get better city/town MPG's in Sport mode at times, as my turbos are continually spools, instead of spooling on and off when needing to accelerate. Highway MPG's are always better in Normal mode, however (obviously)
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Now my question is this. when you move this shifter to the left and you engage in manual mode with the paddles is there any way to go back into sport mode without moving the shifter back to the right and then back to the left?

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-02-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
Now my question is this. when you move this shifter to the left and you engage in manual mode with the paddles is there any way to go back into sport mode without moving the shifter back to the right and then back to the left?

Alan
I have the same question. I haven't been able to figure it out on either my wife's 2009 335i or my 2013 550xi.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i xDrive
Annoyingly - no.
2012 535ix Space Gray, Cinnamon, SAT, Premium, Prem sound, Cold W., Sunshades, Gloss Black Grille, Gloss Black Side Markers, RE970AS 245/45/19 non-run flats that run very smooth + quiet and also correct the otherwise optimistic speedo
Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 PM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
It looks like this setting was disabled in the I-drive for 2013...I have tried and could not
find it. Instead, I just put the car in Sport mode and move the shifter to manual to control
the shift points. Plus, I can still get 8th gear for highway cruising.
GREAT idea! I will be using that one for fun for sure. Sucks that they took that option out for 2013's. I'd love to get the sportier steering and throttle response without the higher shift points. Looks like our only alternative to get that is by going "Manual". BTW, do non-SAT cars have the option of going into "Left/S Mode"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

Alan
That's weird. So even though it's to the left, when it reverts back to "D", it goes into normal mode?

BTW, does BMW have an option where you can hold the paddle down and it takes the car into the most optimal gear to get you into your peak powerband? Mercedes does, where you hold the paddle down to the left, and it gets you right into the sweet spot. With my car, I have to click down rapidly and sometimes either get it too "soft", or one time I even over-downshifted and my motor all of a sudden screamed up to redline.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM

You could never separate the throttle response and the shift points settings. Only the M-DCT has this option. The M3 has a separate "Power" button for throttle response and then 6 settings for shift points. What you can do with the F10 is to separate throttle/ tranny from suspension/steering mode by configuring one or the other or both in I-drive for the Sports mode. I prefered to activate only suspension/ steering and control the throttle/tranny with the shifter. That way as decaf say you can keep the chassi and steering in sport all the time and just change the throttle/tranny when you want it which for me was at every start from stop until I reached cruising speed. I drove my E60 the same way minus the Sport mode since it was a constant sports setup.

Last edited by solstice; 02-02-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
GREAT idea! I will be using that one for fun for sure. Sucks that they took that option out for 2013's. I'd love to get the sportier steering and throttle response without the higher shift points. Looks like our only alternative to get that is by going "Manual". BTW, do non-SAT cars have the option of going into "Left/S Mode"?

That's weird. So even though it's to the left, when it reverts back to "D", it goes into normal mode?

BTW, does BMW have an option where you can hold the paddle down and it takes the car into the most optimal gear to get you into your peak powerband? Mercedes does, where you hold the paddle down to the left, and it gets you right into the sweet spot. With my car, I have to click down rapidly and sometimes either get it too "soft", or one time I even over-downshifted and my motor all of a sudden screamed up to redline.
Yes. Non SAT has the left d/s mode. Even the e60 had it.

Forget about the paddles.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:

This is what happens in my car. I set the toggle switch to sport mode whenever i drive and that doesn't change in this situation.

When i have the shifter in just D mode (normal) and if i use the paddles to downshift (manual mode) it would and after a couple of seconds the car switches back to D mode on it own. Occasionally i drive with the shifter to the left (Trans Sport Mode) and if i then use the paddles to downshift it does and switches to full manual mode. The difference here is that once you are in manual mode while the shifter is to the left you can't get out of it unless you move the shifter back over to D mode. If i want to stay in sport mode i would then have to move it back over to the left. Seems stupid and annoying because i rarely use my paddles but occasionally do when i need to pass or merge aggressively but seems dumb that the only way to get out of it is to move the shifter. It would seem logical that i should be able to pull on both paddles or upshift all the way up to get out of it but you can't.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM
BMW CCA # 473594

Mein Auto: 2013 535xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW View Post
No. Gear ratios are the gears, and the number of teeth in them. That's not changed. The shift pattern is changed, though, and an effort is made by the car to keep higher revs to maintain boost.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Still wondering if having the Sport button pushed WITH the joysick to the left does anything different (or more "sportily") than simply having the Sport button pushed on its own. Also wondering if non SAT cars can click the joystick to the left.

Thanks for the responses.
Maybe it is just me, but I noticed that if I use the DS mode ( Joystick to left ) it holds gears longer than the iDrive Sport mode. In real aggressive driving I used both, but in other cases I just use iDrive Sport.

This was just my observation, maybe I am wrong.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:59 PM

^^ I agree.

Shifter to the left holds gears longer than just the toggle switch in sport mode. It might actually shift firmer/faster too.

Alan

Old 02-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335 cab and 07 X5 3.0
hi all
been lurking the F10 forum lately
and just thought i'd chime in from perspective of e93 335.
i rarely if ever use "DS" preferring greatly to either keep the car in M
using both paddles and/or stick (the ZF 6AT in this car is really nice)
or i just hit the paddles when needed in D and let the car revert back to D.
i have an audi A8 that behaves in same manner.

07 335 cab space gray/saddle
11 Audi A8
96 Porsche 993 targa
bunch of german cars come and gone
Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: F10 550xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-F10 View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I noticed that if I use the DS mode ( Joystick to left ) it holds gears longer than the iDrive Sport mode. In real aggressive driving I used both, but in other cases I just use iDrive Sport.

This was just my observation, maybe I am wrong.
Want to add to my post that I somehow prefer the the iDrive Sport mode more. It seems to have a slightly different configuration rather than just holding gears longer ( which is what the Joystick sport/DS mode seems to do )

However when doing real aggresive driving I use them both!