Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 540i
Fuel pump please help me!

Hey everyone recently Ive experienced a loss of power and terrible mileage. So after some research forever I found this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1571798. This guy has the exact problem. My car is doing EVERYTHING he exactly said. I hit the gas it goes fast then slows down power no power throughout the rpm. So i take the negative terminal off and clean out the maf sensor. Just incase. So i get back in the car. Strong to 3500 rpm then starts stuttering. It feels like its starving for fuel. I know it is. I ripped out the back seat found the fuel pump on passenger side and fuel side took out passenger side one and he talks about tightening something. I have no idea how to do this. If someone can please show me a picture so i can do it myself instead of taking it to my local stealership who have ripped me off so many times with garbage work. PLEASE HELP ME Everything is taken apart and i need a car hopefully by tomorrow someone please help

BTW 99 540i automatic just hit 100k very clean had plenty of juice till recently.
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: e39 540i , E36 328i
Nothing you can really tighten up other than the housing cover. It's a straight forward replacement. I did one on my 540i. Use an OEM pump so it's a drop in/straight replacement otherwise you will end up stranded or running out of gas with still fuel in the tank (ask me how I know). It will save you a headache. I was able to just change the pump and not the housing. I found a ebay oem pump new for $65.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
Old 12-31-2012, 07:25 PM

Might wanna change the fuel filter while your at it. The fuel filter takes about 20/30 min to swap. Even if it's your first time.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blingin96 View Post
Might wanna change the fuel filter while your at it. The fuel filter takes about 20/30 min to swap. Even if it's your first time.

+1 -- 100k is a lot of miles if the fuel filter has never been done.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I generally skip all threads that say "please help" since everyone needs help and therefore anyone who posts that in the title is going to be more work than necessary, however, I glanced at this and have this to guide the OP, who apparently hasn't posted the codes:
- What to tell newbies who ask why their bimmer has a misfire or stumbling, hesitation, rough idle, etc., but who don't post codes from an OBD scanner with their question (1)

The diagnostic tree doesn't start with the fuel pump, it ends with the fuel pump (if that's the problem), so, if the fuel pump 'is' the problem, then simply typing /fuel pump F3 in the bestlinks will net the OP many threads, including:
- How your fuel injectors work (1) & reading fuel injection codes via the 'stomp test' (1) & how to replace and service a BMW E39 fuel injector (1) & replacing the 7.52X3.52mm and 9.2X2.8mm fuel injector o-rings (1) & home-made tools for fuel injection cleaning (1) & the most often recommended fuel system service outfits (1) (2) (3) & the location of the K96 fuel pump relay (1) & the location of the fuel system pressure test Schrader valve for the I6 (1) & V8 (1) (2) (3)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 540i
First off, Id like to thank everyone from replying. Second off, blue bee i have no idea what your talking about. If anyone can explain some step by step instructions of what to do with this please help me. Also, i cleaned my maf yesterday with crc. car acted a little funny after that it seriously feels like its starving for fuel. Anyways if anyone can please help me itd be much appreciated. Ive had it with the dealership in my area theyve scammed me multiple times.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:21 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman4169 View Post
blue bee i have no idea what your talking about.
Makes sense. Anyone who writes 'please help me' is going to be more work than most just to get to the basics.

Quote:
If anyone can explain some step by step instructions of what to do with this please help me.
That's what I was trying to tell you. You haven't even explained the problem yet with respect to diagnostic codes. Since you read the posts I provided for you, you now know exactly how to get the diagnostic codes. What more do you want me to explain for obtaining the diagnostic codes?

Quote:
Also, i cleaned my maf yesterday with crc. car acted a little funny after that it seriously feels like its starving for fuel.
What are the diagnostic codes?

Quote:
Anyways if anyone can please help me itd be much appreciated.
That sentence scares me for two reasons. First, anyways isn't even a word - and if you haven't learned that by now, then that tells me you haven't learned a whole ton of things that we'd have to teach you, line by line, word by word, and character by character.

Second, please stop saying "if anyone can help me". Everyone needs help. On a forum, you have to help yourself a bit before anyone can help you. Just saying your car runs with no power and then can anyone help you is really not all that helpful.

Quote:
Ive had it with the dealership in my area theyve scammed me multiple times.
Hmmm. Seriously. You need an indy (independent garage). Nobody goes to the dealer so don't go down that path where they scammed you as they've scammed every one of us (me included).

Do you often play the victim? You really need to get the diagnostic codes.

Plus, if all you wanted to do was diagnose and repair the fuel pump, I already gave you the threads for that.

I do realize this response of mine is a bit on the negative side - but I knew from the start that you'd be difficult to help - and you have turned out exactly as I had thought - so - I'm going to do both of us a favor and put you on iggy so that the rest of the team can help you.

Here's what I recommend before I go:
1. Get the diagnostic codes
2. Start from THEM and work your way backward to (if need be) the fuel pump
3. If/when you're stumped ,look up an indy in your area to check the vehicle out

Good luck!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-02-2013, 03:19 PM

You do need the codes (if any).
Don't be afraid of getting your hand dirty,
these cars are plenty of fun even if your doing maintenance items.