Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I asked already if someone has any experience with Sprint Booster or Pedalbox. No response. May solve it, but would love to hear from someone
A user on bimmerpost (marcoaf) is running the Hartge N20 tune and successfully installed the Sprint Booster.

http://www.sprintboosterusa.com/p-23...series-z4.aspx
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I am planing on buying an x1 for my wife so I dropped by to read about current owners experiences. I can comment on is this topic because it was discussed to death in the e90 threads. One thing a can tell you is the car adapts to how you drive it and that's why the reset proceedure discussed here works. I have never experienced any lag due to the fact that I don't baby my car. If you drive it like you stole it the car learns your habits and will not lag. I am not talking about turbo lag which is different. Try not worrying about gas mileage for a full tank and get on it and I think you will see a vast difference. Remember these cars are driven at high speeds on the autobahn and the engines are made to run.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
OK, we have had our X1 a few months, and it's really a second car, but in the few (1500) miles we have driven it we have been repeatedly honked at and been in a couple of close calls because of the stupid throttle hesitation. There is always about a 1 sec lag between pushing down on the pedal and the engine kicking in. It doesn't matter if you push down harder on the throttle, because then when it does kick in it is just more throttle.

My suspicion is that this delay has something to do with the Auto Start Stop (code named ASS for a reason), which we had the dealer default to off, so we don't have to deal with it. I have a feeling that by this time next year, the ASS function will be no more.

So are other people having the same problem? Or do we need to take the car back to the dealer to be inspected?

Seriously, a full second between pressing on the pedal and having the car respond!
I didnt realize that the dealer would do this for you...
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCC View Post
I didnt realize that the dealer would do this for you...
My dealer just did this for me a few days ago, when I had my X1 in for a bunch of other issues. They didn't charge me anything either. At first they didn't know how to do it, but I guess they figured it out.

Here's what the invoice states:
"Submitted Puma Case for activation code. Performed complete vehicle programming including CAS for conversion to enable MSA2 memory function"

Whatever that means. But the end result is that "ASS" defaults to whatever setting it was last in. So, if I shut the car off with ASS enabled, then it will be enabled when I next start the car. Likewise, if I shut the car off with ASS disabled, so will it be when I restart the car. This is specific to the key fob used, so if you like ASS and your significant other doesn't, you can each have it your way!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbone907 View Post
My dealer just did this for me a few days ago, when I had my X1 in for a bunch of other issues. They didn't charge me anything either. At first they didn't know how to do it, but I guess they figured it out.

Here's what the invoice states:
"Submitted Puma Case for activation code. Performed complete vehicle programming including CAS for conversion to enable MSA2 memory function"

Whatever that means. But the end result is that "ASS" defaults to whatever setting it was last in. So, if I shut the car off with ASS enabled, then it will be enabled when I next start the car. Likewise, if I shut the car off with ASS disabled, so will it be when I restart the car. This is specific to the key fob used, so if you like ASS and your significant other doesn't, you can each have it your way!
I thought there is a switch to disable this feature...
Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbercasio View Post
I thought there is a switch to disable this feature...
There is a switch but you need to press it each time you start the car. Saving the last setting is much more convenient.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i and BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
There is a switch but you need to press it each time you start the car. Saving the last setting is much more convenient.
Got it...better last setting memory...
Old 05-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
For 2014s it is set from the factory to remember the last setting. I pushed the button in the dealership parking lot and haven't touched it since.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
My dealer did a full diagnosis after I complained about throttle lag and they found my 2012 X1 has a faulty accelerator sensor, it's only 8 months old! Has anyone else complained to their dealer and they found this?
Old 05-24-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: X1 possibly
I too have been contemplating purchasing the X1, so I have been lurking on here for about a month now. I thought I would chime in on this issue. I read a post earlier in this thread where the person says this issue is the drive by wire throttle causing this. I have yet to drive the X1, so my opinion is worth spit, but based on the description of the problem, I tend to agree that is caused the drive by wire throttle. I have a 2006 Toyota RAV4 that was the first vehicle I purchased that had this feature. It did and does the same thing. Always has and it took me a long time to get use to it. It is very unnerving when you are making a turn in at a 4 way light and the delay causes you to hang out in the intersection longer than what you are comfortable with. I have over time learned the right about of pressure to use when pressing the throttle to get the quickest response. I totally understand the frustration of having to deal with it in a BMW. Folks buy BMWs for the thrill of driving them and their handling characteristics. This issue would definitely detract from that. If there are aftermarket tune kits that fix or improve this issue I would be buying it for a BMW.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:41 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
... this issue is the drive by wire throttle causing this....
That isn't a complete assesment of the cause. BMW has had DBW throttles since 2001 and before. The "problem" if you want to call it a problem, is that the newer transmission programming that starts out in 2nd gear to gain fuel-efficiency (especially in the urban cycle). The 2nd gear start combined with turbo engine lag that gives you this behavior (although many people complained about the previous N52 I6 and it's auto transmission, too.)

Mike Miller (BMWCCA tech writer), in the last Roundel (p.99) wrote a lengthy explanation of the whys and wherefores. Basically, he said that in the balance of economy vs. performance, that's the way it is, other brands are just as bad, and unless you opt (in this case you can't) for a manual, you're stuck with the behavior.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
I have posted this elsewhere, but just for a data point and because this issue concerned me very much; in about 550 miles of driving my new 2014 x28i MSport, I have not experienced significant throttle lag so far (if anything, probably a little better than average for any late-model cars I've driven), and I've really been looking for it.

Starting out in 2nd, yes. Forcing it to start in first or going to DS pretty much eliminates that problem.

I really don't think that drive by wire, per se, is the issue. For example, my manual pre-LCI E90 (NA 6 cylinder) did not exhibit noticeable throttle lag, nor does my NA Miata 6MT (of course with a manual you can sort of compensate by how you manipulate the clutch and accelerator together, but if throttle lag were bad with a shift stick, it would be really annoying). I would say perceived throttle lag in these cars is a combo of deliberate transmission and throttle response programming and turbo lag. Turbo lag aside, I would bet that if absence of throttle lag were the driving priority, the cars could be programmed that way and the choice has been made to compromise.

(Not to say that I think the X1 has bad turbo lag, but there is some off idle, like any turbo I've ever driven, and that adds to the perception of lack of throttle control off idle.)

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 05-24-2013, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 s28i X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The 2nd gear start combined with turbo engine lag that gives you this behavior
It has nothing to do with turbo lag, the engine does not rev and the car does not move for almost a second after the accelerator is applied from a stand-still. The car responds fine after the wheels are already rolling. The problem also happens in 1st-M. In fact it's improved slightly by starting in 2nd-M.

Last edited by greyX1; 05-24-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulls View Post
My dealer did a full diagnosis after I complained about throttle lag and they found my 2012 X1 has a faulty accelerator sensor, it's only 8 months old! Has anyone else complained to their dealer and they found this?
Haven't had time to take it to the dealer but this will prompt me to.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyX1 View Post
It has nothing to do with turbo lag, the engine does not rev and the car does not move for almost a second after the accelerator is applied from a stand-still. The car responds fine after the wheels are already rolling. The problem also happens in 1st-M. In fact it's improved slightly by starting in 2nd-M.
Well, based on my experience, that is not normal so don't let them tell you that it is!

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38 PM

MOST RECENT FROM THE F10/F11 TIP IN THREAD:

"Thanks to ShawnSheridan! Wanted to log-in and acknowledge the priceless value of the info posted here regarding the throttle tip-in problem. Short version:

Get the software update referenced in Shawn's posted SIB 12 17 12 (or better). This update saves the 2011 528i F10 N52. My throttle tip-in problem was resolved after the software update.

Forget the throttle adaptive programming via the start button - that is not a fix. Been there, done that.

Thanks Shawn, and all the others who took this issue to ground. You serve the BMW community, and the manufacturer. Congrats also to BMW for addressing the issue with software updates and improvements.

I'm a new guy to the forum, but this is my 4th BMW. Recently purchased a 2011 528i because I wanted to stay clear of turbo lag. Imagine my shock when I found the throttle tip-in problem - it is far worse than turbo lag. I was ready to immediately sell the car and go looking for a new marque. Which is beyond sad.

BMW is working this throttle tip-in nonsense, and as other posters have noted it is definitely a safety issue. Do not accept the tip-in lag. Without the programming updates this car is a hazard to drive: poor accelerator pedal response , lurching launch, and irregular application of throttle at speed. All detailed within this forum. The problem is most definitely a software-related problem. That is a great engine under your hood. Get it fixed by BMW and recover the car you paid for, one that better represents the tradition! "
Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
This is quite the long thread and I had to go back and read some of the earlier posts.
But I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about DSC.
Do people still experience the same hesitation with DSC Off? or with DTC on?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneX1
This is quite the long thread and I had to go back and read some of the earlier posts.
But I'm surprised there hasn't been much talk about DSC.
Do people still experience the same hesitation with DSC Off? or with DTC on?.
I really don't think it's directly related to DSC. The odd thing is that some people with the same vehicle see it and some don't. I can testify it's not idiosyncratic to the driver, but rather the specific vehicle. My 2012 X3 35i (with the first software update; I'm not clear if there's a second one) definitely has it. My 2014 X1 28i, so far, does not. Different engines, same transmission. There have been complaints about both engines, and apparently both the 8 and 6-speed transmissions, also.

I think I know what you're getting at (DSC butting in and cutting power) but that is not what it feels like. In the case of my X3 it's more about inconsistent throttle response, occurring most frequently from a full or rolling stop. Basically my experience is the car does not respond to throttle input the way you expect it to, you apply additional throttle, still nothing, then a little more and it then shifts down/takes off. Makes you feel like you don't know how to drive. Apparently in some other people's cases it's worse; I personally have not experienced it to such an extreme that it's seemed dangerous, but I can imagine some drivers might combine it with turbo lag and/or delayed shift down and when they want to take off to pass or get out of someone's way........nothing.

retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt

Last edited by dgkfl; 06-07-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 08 Z4MC
I don't know how many times it has to be said... This is unrelated to DTC/DSC, Turbo-lag etc etc.

I have an appt with my SA next week and we'll see if the SIB above applies to our ride and if they even know what it is. Past experience leaves the dealerships pleading the 5th on any knowledge about this issue. Last time (Jan 2013) there was no bulletin, recall, or even awareness of the issue.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Ok so the dealer replaced the accelerator sensor on my X1, reset the adaptive drive and has no idea where the software fix noted above in the forum comes from for this model in Australia at least. He showed me the software numbers, SIBs and ISTAs and this was nowhere to be found on the sheet. Anyway, the replacement sensor has done the trick and it's like driving a whole new car, smooth take off with no hesitation whatsoever and a great gear change on the roll... very noticeable change indeed. I also complained about a loud 'cracking' sound which seems to come from the dash area but sounds like glass expanding, and occurs in hot weather a few minutes after I get into the car and the air con kicks in and cools down the cabin, the service guy at my local BMW dealer, who takes the service X1 out said he noticed the same thing. We are waiting on a BMW fix for it as it appears that a few people have complained.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Sib 12 17 12

SIB 12 17 12 refers to the following models and addresses "unfavorable EGS and DME software":

N52T / N55 with 8HP45: Delay in Engine Response

MODELS
F10 and F25 with the N52T engine and 8HP45 transmission to 3/31/2012
E70, E71 and F25 with the N55 engine and 8HP45 transmission to 3/31/2012
F07, F10 with the N55 engine and 8HP45 transmission to 2/29/2012

Bottom line: This is a software programming issue. Previous models with DBW did not all have the throttle response tip in problem.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I find it annoying that automakers (not just BMW) in general are playing with the throttle calibration for the sake of creating good emissions and fuel consumption figures for European and US gov't testing.

Back in the olden days, electronic throttle wasn't a problem. The E46 3er, earlier X3s, and BMWs of the early 2000s didn't have this claptrap. Then someone decided to start screwing it all up......
Old 06-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
The F series vehicles have the best implementation with the rocker switch and ECO, Comfort, and Sport modes (I only have real world experience with the F30s). I don't find the throttle response a problem in our X1, but it is only equivalent to Comfort in the F30. DS mode improves transmission response but not throttle for me.

We have a newborn so I am driving in ECO PRO a lot now to smooth everything out. I have BMS Stage 1 tune so ECO is usable now.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 ford Explorer EB V8
It is good to read that this problem has been addressed. The EPA test cycles are a very specific sequence. It seems that any good programmer should be able to write code to have the car recognize it is in the test cycle and change to make the best numbers just for that test cycle. That would not be deceptive, as the EPA test cycles have zilch to do with the real world, as with most bureaucratic dreams.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
I know its been suggested before, but you should try PedalBox/Sprint Booster to help address throttle lag.