Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323
Unhappy 2007 323 cranks but frequently does not start

Hi
have a 2007 BMW 323, had it at service at BMW dealership 6 weeks ago for around $700, everything was fine before, but about 2 weeks ago, the car just refused to start after sitting in the garage for 2 days (although it cranked). Had CAA come over to give me a boost, worked, and the car was going fine, restarting at several places where I went. Next day, in garage, again cranking, but not starting. Brought it to BMW, they tested the car and exchanged the battery ($550), it worked fine, again restarting at different stores I drove to. Next day in the morning in the garage: Again cranking, but not starting. Brought it to BMW dealer again, this time the replaced a relais ($450), but told me, a sensor deep down somewhere also shows up as problematic on some test, but they want to first see whether the relais fixes it, as the sensor replacement would be $1500 plus tax. Car going fine, again restarting at several places. Today: Car in garage, again not starting. I am a bit tired of them replacing parts without fixing the prob for my money. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks
Andrew
Ads by Google
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew73 View Post
Hi
have a 2007 BMW 323, had it at service at BMW dealership 6 weeks ago for around $700, everything was fine before, but about 2 weeks ago, the car just refused to start after sitting in the garage for 2 days (although it cranked). Had CAA come over to give me a boost, worked, and the car was going fine, restarting at several places where I went. Next day, in garage, again cranking, but not starting. Brought it to BMW, they tested the car and exchanged the battery ($550), it worked fine, again restarting at different stores I drove to. Next day in the morning in the garage: Again cranking, but not starting. Brought it to BMW dealer again, this time the replaced a relais ($450), but told me, a sensor deep down somewhere also shows up as problematic on some test, but they want to first see whether the relais fixes it, as the sensor replacement would be $1500 plus tax. Car going fine, again restarting at several places. Today: Car in garage, again not starting. I am a bit tired of them replacing parts without fixing the prob for my money. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thanks
Andrew

Just look through RECENT posts on the subject of battery issues....among other things, find:

Not so hard, eh?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Hi Calwaterboy,
happy new year and thanks for the quick reply. Vid very interesting and informative.

I am not a mechanic wiz (actually quite the oppositite ;-). Dont think that I have such a parasitic draw, as the battery seems to be fine all the time. Even when the car does not start, I can turn on all the lights, the radio, all control lamps are lit etc.
Am I wrong here?

Cheers
Andrew
Old 01-01-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Hi Calwaterboy,
happy new year and thanks for the quick reply. Vid very interesting and informative.

I am not a mechanic wiz (actually quite the oppositite ;-). Dont think that I have such a parasitic draw, as the battery seems to be fine all the time. Even when the car does not start, I can turn on all the lights, the radio, all control lamps are lit etc.
Am I wrong here?

Cheers
Andrew

Possible. As the saying goes, "Test - then you'll know."
Old 01-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Since it jump started ok last time I'd try that. If you cannot do that keep charging the battery nightly with a CTEK or similar. If it cranks every day for a couple of weeks you know the battery was not fully charged. If it fails to start with a jump/ full battery then let expensive diagnosis begin again.

FYI: English word for relais is relay

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-01-2013, 06:04 PM

Thanks, MP3, (also for the tip on English ;-)
Unfortunately, I am already at this point ... jump start worked only once, the next time it didnt. When CAA (our Canadian Automobile Association) then wanted to tow the car, we had to move it a few meters, and, voila, then the car started without any help.
I did this trick now several times (move the car a few meters, then start it), but it's getting cumbersome, and my wife is expecting our baby in 2 weeks, so I really want to be able to rely on my car, and not have to move it when she is in labour ';-o

Cheers and Tx for any ideas ...
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Quote:
Thanks, MP3, (also for the tip on English ;-)
Unfortunately, I am already at this point ... jump start worked only once, the next time it didnt. When CAA (our Canadian Automobile Association) then wanted to tow the car, we had to move it a few meters, and, voila, then the car started without any help.
I did this trick now several times (move the car a few meters, then start it), but it's getting cumbersome, and my wife is expecting our baby in 2 weeks, so I really want to be able to rely on my car, and not have to move it when she is in labour ';-o

Cheers and Tx for any ideas ...
Years ago I had a starter motor sometimes stick, had to put it in gear and rock the car IIRC (was a long time ago). Sounds unlikely though.

To rely on the car I'd dump the BMW - seriously. Ours is a third car, the days of relying on a BMW to start + run ok are long gone. Virtually every day here we have posts like "I spend $XXXX in the last X months and my BMW is still broken".. having spent time on the Civic, CR-V, Miata and Prius forum in the past I can tell you it did not happen often on any of those.

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 AM

Thanks, MP3, for the advice. I am actually at the point where I am really considering to dump the car. Will keep you posted should I ever find out what it was that caused the probs. Will mention the Parasite idea to mechanic, I myself am too stupid to test this.

Cheers
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Hi
Andrew
This is unacceptable. They're supposed to be the experts and it sounds as if they're just throwing parts at the problem. Almost anyone can do that. I would speak with the service manager and explain that throwing parts at the problem, on your dime, is not acceptable and insist they credit you for the work already done.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks, Sunny, just did this!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
Quote:
Thanks, Sunny, just did this!
So you got your money back???
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM

no, they said they cant do anything, and also wont give a guarantee that their next trial (for 1500) will work. So I will go to none BMW workshop recommended by a friend now to get a second opinion (and hopefully lower price).

BMW says it is probably something at the magnetic wheel or sensor for which they have to get to an intermediate shaft under the valve cover ... They have no explanation though why moving the car for a few meters would make it work. So I am wary of their "theory" and dont want to spend 1500 on it before having got a second opinion.

As all BMW dealerships in Toronto use the same database (at least they can tell you right away what has been done on a car at a different dealership) and probably have the same prices, I will go to an independet workshop. Not sure whether they have the equipment and knowledge to fix the problem :-((

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers
Old 01-02-2013, 10:18 AM

One more thing .... I am running this car on regular gas (87 octane), for many years without probs though. This is the minimum according to the manual.

Could that all of a sudden cause these probs?

Cheers
Andreas
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
no, they said they cant do anything, and also wont give a guarantee that their next trial (for 1500) will work. So I will go to none BMW workshop recommended by a friend now to get a second opinion (and hopefully lower price).

BMW says it is probably something at the magnetic wheel or sensor for which they have to get to an intermediate shaft under the valve cover ... They have no explanation though why moving the car for a few meters would make it work. So I am wary of their "theory" and dont want to spend 1500 on it before having got a second opinion.

As all BMW dealerships in Toronto use the same database (at least they can tell you right away what has been done on a car at a different dealership) and probably have the same prices, I will go to an independet workshop. Not sure whether they have the equipment and knowledge to fix the problem :-((

Any ideas welcome!

Cheers
My indy has all the equipment necessary to work on these cars. So they're out there.

I can understand that troubleshooting a problem is a process. But it sounds as if they have no clue. Meanwhile costing you money. I'm not surprised to hear they're not going to credit you, at least their time, for the work they've already performed. It's sad one can no longer expect to have their car repaired correctly the first time around. Even with all the computer monitoring that's being done.