Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 01-01-2013, 03:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 328is 1998 ram
E36 auxiliary fan problem

AUXILIARY FAN WILL NOT COME ON.
1. JUMPED PLUG BOTH ARE HOT.
2. NEW AUX. FAN SWITCH/SENSOR
3. COOLINGS SYSTEM PROPERLEY BLED
4. DOES NOT OVERHEAT NOW THE SYSTEM IS BLED PROPERLY.

WHAT ELSE DO I LOOK FOR. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPREC. BOUGHT THIS CAR FOR MY Daugter as a XMAS PRESENT 1ST CAR WANT TO MAKE SURE I CURE THE PROBLEM.

THANKS SCOTT THE PAINTER. HAVE AUTO PAINT QUESTIONS I AM THE MAN!
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 03:29 PM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
The aux fan motor might be dead. I've had one die on me so far.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:43 PM

E36 fan

Motor is good when jumped it turns on i can leave a jumper there and runs for ever
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
Come at ///M

Send a message via AIM to jayjaya29
Mein Auto: 97 M3
So whats the problem then?

The fan should turn on when you turn the AC on in the car. Besides that it should only very rarely turn on (such as when in stop and go traffic in 100f+ heat) if the cooling system is in good shape.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:20 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
To test the aux fan without having to create 100+ degree heat, turn on the A/C. The fan should run.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
^this.

df
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 325is
I had similar problems with my Aux fan. I jumped it with a wire and it turned on as well. It didn't turn on when I turned the A/C on so I went and bought one of those cans you can find at the auto store and it started right up once I recharged it. My advice would be to try that if yours doesn't turn on when you put the A/C on.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
One thing you did not mention checking, which I'm assuming is the culprit, are the aux fan relays, which are in the relay box near the firewall. If they are stuck or worn out, the aux fan won't turn on. Same thing was happening with my car a while ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemz123 View Post
I had similar problems with my Aux fan. I jumped it with a wire and it turned on as well. It didn't turn on when I turned the A/C on so I went and bought one of those cans you can find at the auto store and it started right up once I recharged it. My advice would be to try that if yours doesn't turn on when you put the A/C on.
No offense intended, but this isn't very sound advice. Yes, the A/C system will prevent the system from engaging if it's below the pressure threshold, but adding freon to a leaking system to bring the pressure back up to within operational range is just throwing money down the drain. It will leak out before very long and you'll be right back where you started. Been there, done that... A/C systems do NOT lose pressure at all over time unless there is a leak. This is why when you see people advertising used cars who say "freshly charged A/C - blows ice cold!", this means that the A/C system is actually broken and the owner simply added freon to a leaking system as a temporary fix (knowingly or otherwise).

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1992 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by No offense intended, but this isn't very sound advice. Yes, the A/C system will prevent the system from engaging if it's below the pressure threshold, but adding freon to a leaking system to bring the pressure back up to within operational range is just throwing money down the drain. It will leak out before very long and you'll be right back where you started. Been there, done that... A/C systems do NOT lose pressure at all over time [I
unless there is a leak.[/I] This is why when you see people advertising used cars who say "freshly charged A/C - blows ice cold!", this means that the A/C system is actually broken and the owner simply added freon to a leaking system as a temporary fix (knowingly or otherwise).
You're right about the leaking and I understand that. It's just an idea. Although I've did mine over a year and a half ago and it has been fine so far.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:39 PM

Reply e36 fan

I was just getting ready to pump down the a/c system to test negative pressure. The system has been cycleing on and off meanign the system is not properly charged. This is i will do thursday if leaks find it fix it then recharge see what happens then.

Thanks let every one know what happens
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Warm Leatherette

You do know that the A/C compressor is supposed to cycle on and off during normal operation, right?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 PM

doing ac diagnostics without guages is the best way to spend 3x the amount of money you would normally spend.....doing it with just the low side (as in some rtu canisters) is only a little bit better.

do it right and get a set of guages, even if they're a cheapy set from harbor freight.

and read this...http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...551&highlight=

df
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 PM
Warm Leatherette

At this point we haven't even verified that the aux fan relays are working correctly, so I'd start there.

Also does "getting ready to pump down the a/c system to test negative pressure" imply that you are not actually getting cold air when the A/C is turned on (regardless of compressor cycling)?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-02-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM

again, the op stated the compressor is cycling, which may or may not be a sign of poor performance of the a system, and stated that he was going to add refrigerant.

it is my understanding that to attempt to 'fix' something that may or may notbe broken without a clue as to how it works is not the best way to accomplish things. i just figured i would share some basic ac info with the op.

however, that being said, i think the fan should come on when the compressor kicks on, no?? if so, then simply hook a test light to the plug for the fan and complete the circuit.

it apparently runs when powered directly, which indicates to me that either a: the circuit is faulty, or b: the criteria needed to enable to fan to be turned on are not yet met.

since this is january, and running the ac is not exactly a priority, (at least not where i am...) i thought it odd that the op would consider adding refrigerant to the system in an attempt to 'fix' his problem.

i still do not understand exactly what the initial issue the op has in regard to the fan operation. overheating?? poor ac performance?? or what??

df
Old 01-03-2013, 04:51 PM

E36 aux fan reply

A properly charged system on high will rarely cycle. A compressor the continually cycles on and off is a definet sign that the system is not properly charged. Yes i have all the tools to properly work on this vehicle gauges are a must. In fact i have an automatic snap on a/c system.

So once again is there a bmw mechanic out there that can answer my questions. But all of your opinions are appreciated.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 PM

ac compressors *will* cycle, depending upon design and temperature, even with a properly charged system. depending upon temperature and state of charge, a rapid cycling can indicate low refrigerant. at idle, 6-8 cycles per minute with a constant 40-44 degree zone in the shop would be considered 'normal'.

i have done ac work for 15 years, and done more retrofits than i care to remember back when r134a came to market.

nothing in your post indicated what your diy apptitude would be, and we are not mind readers. we get an awful lof of 'backyarders' on here, so we always try to start with the basics.

not everyone has made a living as an ase master technician, l1, x1, an emissions repair technician, and class 1 hunter certified alignment technician. i have. and i will be the first to tell you that i do not know it all. i have a clue, and always start with the basics, and go through the troubleshooting process and confirm before replacing parts.

so, now more to the point, so i can clarify the actual concern.

the vehicle aux fan does not come on, but the vehicle does not overheat.
fan runs when jumpered.

check. got that. this, so far, tells me that the criteria to request the aux fan to come on has not been met. (hence the 'aux' prefix in front of 'fan')

what happens when the ac is turned on?? (the fan should come on...)
did you check the relay?? fuse??

i do not think that a bmw tech has even touched an e36 since 2005....

df
Old 01-04-2013, 07:08 PM

e36

when a/c is turned on fan does not.

1. have replaced relays.
2. i did so because i found out that one of the two leads on the plug did not start the fan when jumped ie the low side. now both legs when jumped turn the aux fan on. both with the ground on the plug and or other ground.

if this were a corvette or an american muscle car i could figure it out, but right now i'm lost. i am also having aes which does all of our electrical issue repairs at our body shop investigate.

hope this helps
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 PM
Warm Leatherette

Well, although it may be unfamiliar to you, the E36 BMW is an incredibly simple car, relatively speaking. Certainly as simple (or more so) as a Corvette. If you replaced the relays and it still does not turn on when the A/C is turned on, I'd check your A/C system pressure. That said, the fact that you said the A/C compressor is engaging when the A/C is turned on tells me that you at least have enough pressure in the system to engage everything, including the aux fan.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 01-05-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:04 PM

e36

that was my deduction now i just need the time. waiting now for the rims to come back from being reconditioned.