Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Mazda CX-5 Australia diesel oil dilution

Saw this over on e90post/m57 forum. Very interesting and cautionary.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...821-24k6w.html

Evidently their DPF regeneration regime is causing bad crankcase oil dilution problems. Something to think about...
Ads by Google
Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Checking your oil level every 1,000 km is a no go as it means I have to do it every 4-5 days!
Guess that rules out any Mazda Diesels for me!
Too bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Old 12-20-2012, 08:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Holden Wagon & Sedan
Does anyone know if our DPF regen is initiated through a seperate fuel injector right before the DPF or is it also done through overfueling the engine in the exhaust stroke?

I'm guessing the latter is what is causing these issues in the Mazda. Washing the cylinders and getting fuel down into the crankcase.

Jay
Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
Does anyone know if our DPF regen is initiated through a seperate fuel injector right before the DPF or is it also done through overfueling the engine in the exhaust stroke?

I'm guessing the latter is what is causing these issues in the Mazda. Washing the cylinders and getting fuel down into the crankcase.
Your guess is correct. Confirmed in the ST180 and Advanced Diesel pdf's posted in earlier threads.
This is apparently why BMW doesn't approve higher biodiesel levels (than the 5%-7% current), as it over-contaminates the oil.

Last edited by floydarogers; 12-20-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 PM

When I visited Tenneco ~4-5 years ago to discuss DPFs and DOCs they mentioned they had a proprietary way of dosing the DPF with a seperate injector right before the filter. Seemed like a great idea, I wonder how many folks have actually implemented it...

I suppose the bean counters like me figure a software based regen is millions of dollars cheaper then adding more parts, and the engineers must not have fought back hard enough.

Jay
Old 12-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: German
Not surprised. Mazda hasn't been at the diesel game nearly as long as the Germans. Just like I will only trust a Japanese hybrid, I will only touch a Euro diesel.

and the raising oil level is ridiculous. No other diesel I've heard of has ever had this issue. I barely pop the hood on both my X5 or my old VW TDI. Poor engineering Mazda

Last edited by AutoUnion; 12-23-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
No one has been at the diesel game as long as the Germans! After all they invented the engine and have used it in a passenger car since 1936 (Mercedes Benz). They have also used it in aircraft(!) military hardware and of course locomotives and ships of all kinds including the infamous U-Boats! The rest of the world has not been far behind, with the US of A being one of the early proponents quickly seeing the benefits to Rudolf Diesel's invention and mass producing it on a scale not previously known, during WWII. Some GM671 diesel engines built for "a one trip to the beach" landing craft are still in use today.

Last edited by UncleJ; 12-24-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Not surprised. Mazda hasn't been at the diesel game nearly as long as the Germans. Just like I will only trust a Japanese hybrid, I will only touch a Euro diesel.
and the raising oil level is ridiculous. No other diesel I've heard of has ever had this issue.
Be careful if the diesel you use is a biodiesel blend. Biodiesel at a high enough percentage and over an extended oil change can dilute the oil in our cars, just like the Mazda. Every modern diesel that is using a DPF potentially has the oil dilution problem, it is not unique to Mazda.

You can learn more about it here: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/
Old 12-24-2012, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62Lincoln View Post
Be careful if the diesel you use is a biodiesel blend. Biodiesel at a high enough percentage and over an extended oil change can dilute the oil in our cars, just like the Mazda. Every modern diesel that is using a DPF potentially has the oil dilution problem, it is not unique to Mazda.

You can learn more about it here: http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/art...ction-problem/
I essentially only fill-up in two locations. One is a local Sunoco with "premium" diesel and a local truck stop with B5. Same pump and everything since 2010. No issues at all and I'm on my second diesel.

High percentage BD can reek havoc on your fuel system, but I have no access to it, so it's all good
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM

I thought I just read in diesel power that the GM twins use a seperate injector located just upstream of the DPF to regulate regenerations (like I saw at Tenneco), that is by far the best solution to the problem.

Jay