Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645Ci
05-645Ci - A Little Upgrade Advice from our 6er Gurus :-)

Hello Super 6ers,

I've had my 05' 645Ci coup for a couple years now, and finally ready to do a few exterior upgrades. I've pretty much known what upgrades I would like to purchase for the past two years, but just getting to the point to where I can do a few things for my vehicle. I've been looking at these items for a while but still not sure if I have settled for the best deals pertaining to purchasing these items. I try researching and reading every chance I get, but I'm not associated with any local BMW networks here in D.C. so I may be misinformed and maybe a bit in the blind with the deals for the items I wish to purchase. So I figured I will turn to the experts and gurus here to get your opinion on the cost for the items in which I have decided to purchase as soon as you guys give me the "all clear". I have 5 items listed for your input. Thanks Guys!!

1). Hamann Front Apron without the (add-on) bottom lip - Hamann PART # 10 063 110
5th item down for $1,550.00 – Most sites advertise this item for $2,500.00 or more.
http://www.dynocomp.com/details.php?...del=51&type=50

2). ACS Style Rear Lip Spoiler
Model B63-L2U [unpainted] for $329.00
Model B63-L2P [painted] for $429.00
http://directcartoys.com/2004-2007-6...-P2325846.aspx

3). 08/10 LCI Rear Lights
BMW Part Number – 63217177070 Right Tail Light for $321.37
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BM...HT-RIGHT632010

BMW Part Number – 63217177069 Left Tail Light for $321.37
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BM...GHT-LEFT632010

4). 08/10 LCI Turning Lights – [I think these turning lights only work with a specific custom wiring harness for the e-63 (non-LCI) earlier than the 08s]. There's a gentlemen here who customize/manufacture these harnesses if I recall. Is this correct / is this harness still needed for this upgrade?

BMW Part Number – 63137176871 Left Turn for $256.40
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BM...ATOR-LIG631031

BMW Part Number – 63137176872 Right Turn for $256.40
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/BM...CATOR-LI631031

5). Auto Gear Shift Replacement
Is the auto-gear shift in the link below plug and play, or is it a minor modification for the e-63?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-OEM-Genu...item2ec4a57835
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Genuine-...item2321b0500a

Guys, I would love to hear suggestions and/or ideas on other competitors for purchasing these specific items if any savings and/or higher quality are involved. I've been saving a while for these items. So my choices were to bring my vehicle (somewhat) up-to-date -or- take that money and use it as a down payment and trade my existing almost totally rebuilt 05 in for a possible problematic 08 6 Series. I've learned that investment is a gamble with these 6 Series vehicles - there is "some" cost even with the high end warranty.

A year ago I would not have hesitated to do the latter, but sadly to say, my vehicle is [now] practically brand new from all of the internal work that I have had performed on it [not by choice]. It's a long story but for the first year or so it seems my vehicle spent more time at the BMW dealership service center rather than my designated parking space at my home. My vehicle went through a rebuilt transmission replacement, all valvetronic levers were replaced…..ummm I can go on and on but it would only distract away from my intent in this posting this request for advice. So we'll do that another day .

As you can see, looks like I will be investing $3, 250.00 or so not including the shipping, painting, and installation of the above items.

Thanks for all who contribute!

Rav

Last edited by Raven_Ramon; 01-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Ramon View Post
Hello Super 6ers,

I've had my 05' 645Ci coup for a couple years now, and finally ready to do a few exterior upgrades. I've pretty much known what upgrades I would like to purchase for the past two years, but just getting to the point to where I can do a few things for my vehicle. I've been looking at these items for a while but still not sure if I have settled for the best deals pertaining to purchasing these items.

1). Hamann Front Apron without the (add-on) bottom lip - Hamann PART # 10 063 110
5th item down for $1,550.00 – Most sites advertise this item for $2,500.00 or more.

BMW Part Number – 63217177071 Left Tail Light for $321.37

4). 08/10 LCI Turning Lights – [I think these turning lights only work with a specific custom wiring harness for the e-63 (non-LCI) earlier than the 08s]. There's a gentlemen here who customize/manufacture these harnesses if I recall. Is this correct / is this harness still needed for this upgrade?

Is the auto-gear shift in the link below plug and play, or is it a minor modification for the e-63?

Guys, I would love to hear suggestions and/or ideas on other competitors for purchasing these specific items if any savings and/or higher quality are involved. I've been saving a while for these items. So my choices were to bring my vehicle (somewhat) up-to-date -or- take that money and use it as a down payment and trade my existing almost totally rebuilt 05 in for a possible problematic 08 6 Series.

Rav
Rav, maybe this will help.

I have an 07' and I'm about to do the front LCI turn signals. They should be here this week. I plan on doing my own harness and I can let you know how it works out.

I passed on the rear LCIs and just went with the LED turn signal bulb replacement as mine has the LED stop light already.

I'm not sure if that shifter will work in your car without serious mods.

I'm not into the lip or spoiler so I cant help there.

I did the Schnitzer style pedals from ebay, and there are several styles to choose from. I really like this upgrade, and for $50.00 it's a great deal.

Also did the Angel Eyes LED upgrades. I have an extra pair for sale if you're interested.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 01-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Hi Roseng,

Thanks for the feedback! Do you mind sharing how much you actually paid for your [left&right] LCI Turning Lights in comparison to the price I've listed above? I'm just looking to get the best deals possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Rav
Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Roseng, I too have an 07 and am looking to replace my rear turn signals to LED. Where did you get yours from? Any error codes with the ones you used? Any pics of them when turned on?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Hi Roseng,

Thanks for the feedback! Do you mind sharing how much you actually paid for your [left&right] LCI Turning Lights in comparison to the price I've listed above? I'm just looking to get the best deals possible.

Thanks in Advance!

Rav
Ive been buying my parts from Tischer. Have a look at their specials page here.

The LCI turn signals are about 1/2 way down the specials page.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL_BMW_650 View Post
Roseng, I too have an 07 and am looking to replace my rear turn signals to LED. Where did you get yours from? Any error codes with the ones you used? Any pics of them when turned on?

Thanks
I got mine from iJDMTOY.com. I have bought a number of LEDs from them with good success. Here's the link.

No pictures, but they are slightly less bright than the standard bulb. No error messages for me with these.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Hi Roseng,

So simply put; the upgradeable LCI rear tail-lights [do not] come/arrive shipped with the LED bulbs installed? This is good to know because this is an added cost that i didn't take into consideration - I assumed just the opposite.

Please let me know if I am on the right path.

Thanks!!

Rav
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Hi Roseng,

So simply put; the upgradeable LCI rear tail-lights [do not] come/arrive shipped with the LED bulbs installed? This is good to know because this is an added cost that i didn't take into consideration - I assumed just the opposite.

Please let me know if I am on the right path.

Thanks!!

Rav
No, this was for the Non-LCI tail lights with LED lamps in the rear but not ion the turn signals.

I think there are 3 stock versions. No LEDs (04-05 and maybe 06), LED rear/stop red only (my '07,08 and maybe 09), and LCI all LEDs. I have the LED for stop/rear red only I added the LEDs for the turn signal only. That is what I was referring to.

Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM

Ahhhhh..........

So you don't have either of the (2) rear lights listed below?

63217177070 Right
63217177069 Left

I didn't even know that there was an [LED] option other than the LCI 08' and above rear taillights.

Thanks again Roseng for educating me!

Rav
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
01 TAIL LIGHT LEFT 1 08/2007 63217170977 $357.85
01 TAIL LIGHT RIGHT 1 08/2007 63217170978 $357.85

These are the part numbers for the rear stop lights on our (2007) cars. They are LED and I believe they were standard, not an option. I would look to see what connection your car has and look into the lighting module. You may need programming unless you are just putting an LED bulb into the current lens. Ours have many little LEDs that are controled by the lighting module.

I would also be carefull with non-OEM bumper covers. Read this thread about Reytran's issues.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...=m6+conversion

I've seen M6 bumpers on-line for not much more. They look different than the one you picked, BUT THEY FIT. You can see what OEM looks like in my signature picture below. If you have major fitment issues, installation could cost more than the part.

Good luck
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 01-02-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks Mulchman!

You make all excellent points. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray on the Hamann front bumper. The independent BMW shop that I have solicited to perform the painting and installation seem to have a good rep for high quality work - so hopefully the dimensions won't be an issue.

I feel pretty good about the installation of the front and rear LCI upgrades. Floating around are a few very user friendly DIY's with great pictures and detailed instructions on both of these Mods if I recall. Going from Non-LCI to LCI.

Thanks again!

Rav
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Thanks Mulchman!

You make all excellent points. I will keep my fingers crossed and pray on the Hamann front bumper. The independent BMW shop that I have solicited to perform the painting and installation seem to have a good rep for high quality work - so hopefully the dimensions won't be an issue.

I feel pretty good about the installation of the front and rear LCI upgrades. Floating around are a few very user friendly DIY's with great pictures and detailed instructions on both of these Mods if I recall. Going from Non-LCI to LCI.

Thanks again!

Rav
LCI didn't come till 08. 07 cars are non-LCI yet have LED tail lights. I bought a set of LED AE's from Roseng and love them. Good luck with the rest.
HUD, Comfort Access

Old 03-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Thumbs up Hey Roseng

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
Rav, maybe this will help.

I have an 07' and I'm about to do the front LCI turn signals. They should be here this week. I plan on doing my own harness and I can let you know how it works out.

Hi roseng,

How did the LCI turning lights work out for you? I'm really curious to learn how you made out with the adapter for the lci turning lights.

i look forward to hearing back from ya!

Thanks,
Rav
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Hi roseng,

How did the LCI turning lights work out for you? I'm really curious to learn how you made out with the adapter for the lci turning lights.

i look forward to hearing back from ya!

Thanks,
Rav
Worked like a charm and I'm very happy with them.

You do have to invest time in the removal if the old lights but I think it's a great upgrade.

I bought the lights and wires from Tisher. They are an internet division of Silver Springs BMW very close to you.

You still have to build the wiring harness yourself though.

Good luck

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM

Thanks!

Hi roseng,

What information can you share about the wire harness. Cost, difficulty, recommendations? Not sure if its something I can do myself but I'm trying to save myself a few dollars.

Any info in detail is much appreciated!

Rav
Old 03-08-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Hi roseng,

What information can you share about the wire harness. Cost, difficulty, recommendations? Not sure if its something I can do myself but I'm trying to save myself a few dollars.

Any info in detail is much appreciated!

Rav
Rav,

There are several steps to get this done. I'll give you some info to start with:
Purchase new LCI tuun signals. Easy.
Purchase connectors Easy.
Purchase new wires for connectors (they are separate) Easy

Remove front bumper. Easy but you need 2 people. First time is nerve racking but then simple. Once you know how to get it on and off it really takes less than 15 minutes.

Remove old and install new lamps Moderate. Takes a while but if you go slow it's really not a challenge. Maybe an hour for both.

Build new harness with Diodes for LEDs easy but if you are not comfortable soldering wires find a friend who is. Simple 30 min job.

You also have to consider the error messages once you remove the old lights. You can either code them out or add resistors to the wiring to act as a load.

If you have tried coding it's simple. That's is my preference.

For coding you can get some help from Tampamark. and his new toys.

For the wiring I used the instructions from mimi74 here. look at post 172

I would do it again in a heart beat.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 05 645ci
Quote:
Hello Super 6ers,

I've had my 05' 645Ci coup for a couple years now, and finally ready to do a few exterior upgrades. I've pretty much known what upgrades I would like to purchase for the past two years, but just getting to the point to where I can do a few things for my vehicle. I've been looking at these items for a while but still not sure if I have settled for the best deals pertaining to purchasing these items. I try researching and reading every chance I get, but I'm not associated with any local BMW networks here in D.C. so I may be misinformed and maybe a bit in the blind with the deals for the items I wish to purchase. So I figured I will turn to the experts and gurus here to get your opinion on the cost for the items in which I have decided to purchase as soon as you guys give me the "all clear". I have 5 items listed for your input. Thanks Guys!!

BMW Part Number – 63217177069 Left Tail Light for $321.37

Guys, I would love to hear suggestions and/or ideas on other competitors for purchasing these specific items if any savings and/or higher quality are involved. I've been saving a while for these items. So my choices were to bring my vehicle (somewhat) up-to-date -or- take that money and use it as a down payment and trade my existing almost totally rebuilt 05 in for a possible problematic 08 6 Series. I've learned that investment is a gamble with these 6 Series vehicles - there is "some" cost even with the high end warranty.

A year ago I would not have hesitated to do the latter, but sadly to say, my vehicle is [now] practically brand new from all of the internal work that I have had performed on it [not by choice]. It's a long story but for the first year or so it seems my vehicle spent more time at the BMW dealership service center rather than my designated parking space at my home. My vehicle went through a rebuilt transmission replacement, all valvetronic levers were replaced…..ummm I can go on and on but it would only distract away from my intent in this posting this request for advice. So we'll do that another day .

As you can see, looks like I will be investing $3, 250.00 or so not including the shipping, painting, and installation of the above items.

Rav
www.motivemods.com

for the updated gear shifter

Old 03-09-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigscore View Post
www.motivemods.com

for the updated gear shifter
Also look here for some options

Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 AM

:-)

Roseng,

You and I have the same exact auto-gear shift knob. I paid $219.00 dollars for it and realized the very next day that I could have gotten the same exact gear shift knob for $100.00 less from a different site. I found out about the other site after the fact but honestly I did feel like a fool for the next couple of hours :-).

It was a breeze to install once I read 15 different methods of "removing" the original gear shift knob :-). Probably took me a day researching the "how to" because in my little mind I thought it was more to it than just putting the car in neutral and giving it one firm upwards "jerk". It popped right off. Need I say again I felt like a fool preparing for what seemed to be brain surgery.

After the install I was thrilled about the illumination of this gear shift knob. When the car is in "Park" the green LED is so bright that it will blind you. Luckily this brightness is not as noticeable when the gear shift is in "Drive". All in all this simple upgrade was well worth the investment.

Rav
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Roseng,
I found out about the other site after the fact but honestly I did feel like a fool for the next couple of hours :-).

When the car is in "Park" the green LED is so bright that it will blind you. Luckily this brightness is not as noticeable when the gear shift is in "Drive".

Rav
We have all overpaid and found out later. Be happy it was just $100.

There was a website that had a video showing how to remove the old handle. I was skeptical but it's amazing how easy it it to remove.

I totally agree with the green LED brightness issue and I'm about to see how to fix that. I'll post more info once I get it sorted.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:46 AM

Sounds great Roseng!

Are your caliper covers pretty stable? They look totally awesome. I purchase (4) of them about 6 weeks ago but have yet to put them on. I think I got a little skeptical when I realized that they will be held in place with some type of "bonding sealant". Maybe that application is considered normal. I was thinking that the covers would maybe be held in place with a screw or two. I guess you can tell that I'm no mechanic by a long shot :-).

Rav
Old 03-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Hey Roseng! - and Guys,

Let me ask you another question. I did a little research a while back but don't recall getting a viable solution or answer.

Since the stereo systems in our 6-Series are rather unique, how would one go about enhancing our existing sound system to add and/or boost the sound without modifying the dash? Is there a way we can get more sound by modifying our existing system? Like discreetly adding an amplifier in our system if the speakers can handle the boost?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rav
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Not many options like other cars. Any mod to the radio in the dash is definitely out since it is integrated into the Idrive. First question is do you have the Logic 7 stereo? Adding Amplifiers is difficult because of the MOST system, it is all fiber optic signals.

Many of us have upgraded the Center Channel (if you have the Logic 7 stereo) with a Focal 1000 speaker. Nice upgrade, not particularly noticeable, but still OK.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=focal

Upgrade the Tweeters, I did the Polk 1001, the current tweeters are really harsh, this made the listening experience MUCH more enjoyable for me.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=tweeter

You can add a subwoofer, there is a nice writeup in the DIY sub section listed at the top of the forum list on the initial 6 series landing page. You should have two factory sub's under your seat, you can upgrade to Earthquake sub per below
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer
Plus add a trunk sub as this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer

If you want to upgrade all the speakers at one time BSW makes a drop-in speaker-only kit for $500 or so (not sure cost...)

Last edited by tampamark; 03-09-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Sounds great Roseng!

Are your caliper covers pretty stable? They look totally awesome. I purchase (4) of them about 6 weeks ago but have yet to put them on. I think I got a little skeptical when I realized that they will be held in place with some type of "bonding sealant". Maybe that application is considered normal. I was thinking that the covers would maybe be held in place with a screw or two. I guess you can tell that I'm no mechanic by a long shot :-).

Rav
Not sure what you bought but mine are held in with screws that come with the kit. That's part of the reason I bought them.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Hey Roseng! - and Guys,

Let me ask you another question. I did a little research a while back but don't recall getting a viable solution or answer.

Since the stereo systems in our 6-Series are rather unique, how would one go about enhancing our existing sound system to add and/or boost the sound without modifying the dash? Is there a way we can get more sound by modifying our existing system? Like discreetly adding an amplifier in our system if the speakers can handle the boost?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Rav
I'd follow Tampamark's lead here for upgrading the sound system.

Frankly I'm happy with the sound that comes stock so I'm not going to change it. The Logic 7 gets loud enough for a convertible and that's all I really need.

I spent a good portion of my life as a recording engineer and studio builder, so car stereos don't impress me. No matter what you do the road noise, engine and environment minimize your ability to hear any dynamic range anyway. Without that it's just loud or louder.

About all you can really do it make it louder without distortion but Logic 7 gets it there for me. Sure you can improve it over stock, but it's not worth the time and $$$ IMHO.