Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseng View Post
I'd follow Tampamark's lead here for upgrading the sound system.

Frankly I'm happy with the sound that comes stock so I'm not going to change it. The Logic 7 gets loud enough for a convertible and that's all I really need.

I spent a good portion of my life as a recording engineer and studio builder, so car stereos don't impress me. No matter what you do the road noise, engine and environment minimize your ability to hear any dynamic range anyway. Without that it's just loud or louder.

About all you can really do it make it louder without distortion but Logic 7 gets it there for me. Sure you can improve it over stock, but it's not worth the time and $$$ IMHO.
+1, I always find it amusing when people go crazy putting in super high end speakers and amps. Sounds like perfection while sitting in an audio shop with the engine off and not driving.

If I did it all over again the only change I would have made is the tweeters, they are really harsh for me. The subwoofer is muddy in some types of music, but not so much that it is a real problem. The Logic7 is a very nice setup.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampamark View Post
Not many options like other cars. Any mod to the radio in the dash is definitely out since it is integrated into the Idrive. First question is do you have the Logic 7 stereo? Adding Amplifiers is difficult because of the MOST system, it is all fiber optic signals.

Many of us have upgraded the Center Channel (if you have the Logic 7 stereo) with a Focal 1000 speaker. Nice upgrade, not particularly noticeable, but still OK.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=focal

Upgrade the Tweeters, I did the Polk 1001, the current tweeters are really harsh, this made the listening experience MUCH more enjoyable for me.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=tweeter

You can add a subwoofer, there is a nice writeup in the DIY sub section listed at the top of the forum list on the initial 6 series landing page. You should have two factory sub's under your seat, you can upgrade to Earthquake sub per below
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer
Plus add a trunk sub as this:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=subwoofer

If you want to upgrade all the speakers at one time BSW makes a drop-in speaker-only kit for $500 or so (not sure cost...)
Wow!

Thanks tampamark...

Yes, I have the Logic 7 so I will look into the links and see what I can come up with. I enjoy the sound in my car, I just have the urge to want a little bit more from my system. The sound system in the Lexus SUV that I have is like comparing night from day. The Lexus sound system is truly remarkable. Since I have a 05 645Ci I was under the impression that my stereo system might be out-of-date due to the continued development of better technology.

Thanks Again!
Rav
Old 03-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Not sure what you bought but mine are held in with screws that come with the kit. That's part of the reason I bought them.
Thanks Roseng,

I have a cheat version of the caliper covers so I'm sure that explains why the bonding agent is needed for the installation of these covers. The caliper covers that I have even appear to have "fake" screws on the outside which does not even penetrate the covers. I guess you get what cha pay for.

Thanks again,
Rav
Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_Ramon View Post
Thanks Roseng,

I have a cheat version of the caliper covers. I guess you get what cha pay for.

Thanks again,
Rav
Most of the time you're lucky to get that.I think I paid about $200. How much were yours?

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 03-10-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Most of the time you're lucky to get that.I think I paid about $200. How much were yours?
Well this is rather embarrassing!

Maybe 25 to 30 dollars

I've never used or purchased brake caliper covers before but I thought the red would look cool........now I'm thinking twice about if the ones I purchased are even worth removing the tires and wheels.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-Brembo-L...b50663&vxp=mtr

Rav
Old 03-10-2013, 09:19 AM

DRL Question?

Roseng / Tampa / Anyone,

Please help me understand where the daytime running lights are located for a 2005 645Ci. I'm familiar with the turning lights, the headlights, the angle-eye halos, and the fog lights - but where are these daytime running lights? I keep reading about members wanting to turn them on or off based on their specific needs. Anyone have a photo of these DRLs?

Also is it possible to convert the newer LCI turning lights to daytime running lights? I've sure someone has probably entertained this idea but I am learning as I read and explore other threads and posts by fellow members.

Thanks!!

Rav
Old 03-10-2013, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Roseng / Tampa / Anyone,

Please help me understand where the daytime running lights are located for a 2005 645Ci. I'm familiar with the turning lights, the headlights, the angle-eye halos, and the fog lights - but where are these daytime running lights? I keep reading about members wanting to turn them on or off based on their specific needs. Anyone have a photo of these DRLs?

Also is it possible to convert the newer LCI turning lights to daytime running lights? I've sure someone has probably entertained this idea but I am learning as I read and explore other threads and posts by fellow members.

Thanks!!

Rav
Rav,
DRL's are simply the low bean lights that are on whenever you have the car on. In US cars there is an option to turn them on or off in the iDrive settings menu. In Canada the option to turn them off is disabled since they are required by law there.

If you have a coding setup available you can reprogram the DRLs to use a different lamp. I have my Angel Eyes coded to be the DRLs. It's a popular option but you have to know how to code the car to do it.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 03-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Rav,
DRL's are simply the low bean lights that are on whenever you have the car on. In US cars there is an option to turn them on or off in the iDrive settings menu. In Canada the option to turn them off is disabled since they are required by law there.

If you have a coding setup available you can reprogram the DRLs to use a different lamp. I have my Angel Eyes coded to be the DRLs. It's a popular option but you have to know how to code the car to do it.
Quick note, the 2006 and prior models do not have the DRL option available at all in Idrive. Also, it is not possible to code DRL's in pre-2007 vehicle (U.S. models at least). Our cars do not have the proper internal module, LMA2, to allow it to be programmed (we have the older LMA). So software solution is out unfortunately, at least according to all the coding threads I have read! I have seen mention of upgrading to LMA2, I am not sure what that entails and since it is not something I really care about my reading stopped there.

There was a very nice hardware solution put together by 30yrveteran, located in the DIY section. He used relays to turn on/off the angel-eyes as a DRL. Pretty nifty...me, I have never done it since I don't really care about that option.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=daytime

Last edited by tampamark; 03-10-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Wow!

Thanks tampamark...

Yes, I have the Logic 7 so I will look into the links and see what I can come up with. I enjoy the sound in my car, I just have the urge to want a little bit more from my system. The sound system in the Lexus SUV that I have is like comparing night from day. The Lexus sound system is truly remarkable. Since I have a 05 645Ci I was under the impression that my stereo system might be out-of-date due to the continued development of better technology.

Thanks Again!
Rav
OK, knowing you have Logic 7 gives me more to give to you! Check out the thread below, it is a very extensive upgrade on an M6. It is the same stereo electronics so applies to us also.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-part-1-a.html

The problem you have with upgrading an amp is that the only inexpensive way to get the audio signal into the aftermarket amp is by tapping into wires between the factory amplifier and the speakers. This will be a high-power output and you would have to use a converter or amp that has a converter built in that can handle high-power input. There are devices that will allow you to tap into the Fiber Optic line that goes into the factory amp, but they are expensive. I think it is in the thread above.

So you need to decide what you want to do, there have been plenty that have upgraded their systems, but you will have to spend some money.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Hi guys :-),

I started the thread on Jan 1st, 2013. As of this week (4-15-13) all 5 of my proposed upgrade items have been completed on my 05 645Ci.

Ok, here's the surprising part - I did all of the installations myself after printing and reading the DIY and how- to procedures from here and the sister site. I gotta tell you guys, I'm no auto technician by a long shot - I mean a real long shot. So it took me longer, but I'm happy with the finished product.

I did everything but paint the Hamaan front bumper, and paint the AC schnitzer rear spoiler.

I didn't even know what a T-20 socket was :-). No joke!

I was a IT network admin for many years until I crossed over into the field of human resource a few years back. My hobbies are computers and exercising, so this was a real challenge for me. I almost threw the white flag in twice because I couldn't reach a screw that almost made me take a bat to my car. I had to stare at my car for a whole day trying to figure out how to get to this screw. The solution was "my daughter". Her hands were small enough to squeeze in this area. The biggest problem was she acted as if she was feeding her hand to a friggin shark!!! Unbelievable.

Thanks Guys!!!
Rav

Last edited by Raven_Ramon; 04-17-2013 at 10:45 AM.