Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-21-2004, 04:19 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 318 IC
Afraid to remove resistant spark plugs

I just bought a 1994 318i convertible with 122,000 miles and wanted to check the plugs to see what shape they were in. I attempted to loosen the plugs but they are very difficult to turn, it almost feels scary when turning them like I'm doing damage. So, I wonder if this is normal due to the high rev'ing and high engine temps of the 318? Should I spray some WD-40 around the plugs and let it soak for a while? I've tried with the engine both warm and cold. What is the best approach here? Should I just remove them and use an anti seize compound when installing the new plugs?

P.S. Anyone have a recommendation for plugs? I want to install new plugs regardless of the shape of the old plugs.

Thanks,
Joe.
Advertisement
Old 07-21-2004, 06:26 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Had this problem about 12 years ago on my wife`s 320i....due to galvanic action (kind of a "chemical welding" between dissimilar metals) one of the plugs had aluminum thread material stuck to it after (difficult)removal. This sounds worse than it really is....any good machine shop can install HeliCoil Inserts to renew the threads....if one is bad, better do `em all....

Regards,
Bob
Old 07-21-2004, 07:17 PM
Buyakasha!

Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP
Mein Auto: MY01.5 325Ci/93 Miata
use high temp spark plug lubricant or anti-seize compund
Old 07-21-2004, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
use high temp spark plug lubricant or anti-seize compund
I intend to use an anti-seize compound, but I am just worried about removing the existing plugs... Is there a preferred way, or do I just turn them regardless of how hard it is to get them out? Will I damage something if I exert the necessary force to get the plugs out? Is there something that I can do to minimize or eliminate causing any damage? Thanks...

Joe
Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 AM

Will I ruin the spark plug threads on the aluminum head?

I spoke to someone that seems to know what they are talking about and it somewhat meshes with some postings on this board. Apparently, the two different types of metal (aluminum head and steel spark plug) chemically bond due to the high temps and long duration between spark plug changes. I realize that an anti-seize compound will prevent future problems, but I need input on my current situation... One person told me to load up the area around the spark plugs with PB blaster and let it soak overnight. He said that may work if it isn't too bad. I haven't had any other suggestions though? Is there nothing that can be done to avoid ruining the head? Any Advice?? The care has 122,000 miles and judging by the outside appearance of the plugs, they look like they may have been sitting in there for quite a while.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
It`s probably time to change those plugs....spray `em with a "liquid wrench"-type product and let it sit overnight. Put the proper plug socket on a breaker bar with a long enough extension to turn freely. Take a mallet, hammer, piece of two-by-four, or whatever blunt instrument you choose, and tap the breaker bar a few sharp blows in each direction. Then apply some muscle,hopefully breaking the plugs free. If worse comes to worse, you`ll just have to "gorilla" them out, possibly destroying the threads, but all is not lost....as I described in my earlier post, you can have all the plug holes restored with Heli-Coils for about a hundred bucks.

Regards,
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jseppe
I spoke to someone that seems to know what they are talking about and it somewhat meshes with some postings on this board. Apparently, the two different types of metal (aluminum head and steel spark plug) chemically bond due to the high temps and long duration between spark plug changes. I realize that an anti-seize compound will prevent future problems, but I need input on my current situation... One person told me to load up the area around the spark plugs with PB blaster and let it soak overnight. He said that may work if it isn't too bad. I haven't had any other suggestions though? Is there nothing that can be done to avoid ruining the head? Any Advice?? The care has 122,000 miles and judging by the outside appearance of the plugs, they look like they may have been sitting in there for quite a while.

Thanks,

Joe
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 PM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Before you put full force on loosening the plugs, put some pressure on them clockwise to tighten them. Often this will help break them free and make them easier to remove.

I'm not sure how well penetrating oils will reach into the plugs, but it doesn't hurt to give it a try.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Roadster
Heat up the car first, disconnect the plug wires and then place of few drops of liquid wrench down there. The aluminum head has a higher coeffcient of expansion vs. the steel plugs. That may help form a micro gap between the threads to get the liquids down there.

But you probably will have to use a helicoil or threaded insert to repair this.