Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-02-2013, 02:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i E39
Simple technical question for E39 experts

Simple question folks:

On a 2001 E39 530i

Where is there any physical contact between 1) the car's steering system (from steering wheel to front wheels) and 2) the air blower/AC system (from air intake to dashboard grilles)?

The reason I ask is in connection with my whistling noise problem, which now seems to have baffled even more people!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667104

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 528iT/5, S/C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compastion View Post
Simple question folks:

On a 2001 E39 530i

Where is there any physical contact between 1) the car's steering system (from steering wheel to front wheels) and 2) the air blower/AC system (from air intake to dashboard grilles)?

The reason I ask is in connection with my whistling noise problem, which now seems to have baffled even more people!

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=667104

Thanks!
I must agree with Doru's post in your first thread. Have you disassembled each cabin air filter installation including the duct that bayonets into the firewall. The connection at the firewall could be faulty as could the snap-in connection at the filter box-they are both a little tricky to install.

I would not be too worried about the bayonet type fittings on the intake tubes. My son's car has one side with all the fittings broken (PO or some other mechanic did it) but if you fit everything together carefully, the firewall, duct and filter box seal up just fine. BTW-the ducts bayonet into the firewall from the inside toward the outside. I found the best way to install them (do it before you install the filter box) is to used two hands-pressing in on the firewall connection and rotate the duct toward the outside of the car slowly while maintaining pressure on the firewall connection. When you clip the ducts to the filter box, make sure that the connection is square, i.e. the top and bottom of the duct to filter box connector is basically the same distance from the filter box.

There is no connection between the steering and these HVAC filter/ducts. Maybe when you turn the car it alters the air flow under the hood making the noise change.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to explain fully.

You should go through all this yourself not leaving it to a hurried mechanic. It is not rocket science and just requires patience and a steady hand. It may take some time to get the hang of it but it should be worth it!!!!

Edit: You could also remove both filter boxes and ducts and drive the car to see if the noise is still there. That would eliminate or confirm those components as the source of the noise.

Last edited by johnstern; 01-02-2013 at 11:11 AM.