Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Fuel pump

Where would be the best place to buy a fuel pump for an 03 325i? Someone has put a aftermarket pump on it causing the fuel gauge not to function properly. Also the car has a low coolant light on and I believe the expansion tank was replaced around 80k miles. The vehicle now has 144k. Would you think it was the tank again or hoses? A yellow brake light on the dash is on as well which I'm guessing the light means it needs a set of brakes put on which was done at 100k miles under the cars maintenance plan right before it went out. The outside air temp sensor was pulled off when plastic shields were damaged causing the exterior temp to malfunction, which therefore influences how hot or cold the air conditioner inside the vehicle gets. These are the only mechanical problems that I am aware of however the interior needs a bit of work. The a, b, & c pillars need the fabric put back on them, the drivers window switch is busted, and the drivers seat pad needs to be resewn where it has separated from the bolster. I have searched the forums to see what I can find out now I am seeking other advice as well! Any and all advice is appreciated! This use to be my BMW and after going through previous owners it has gotten to this point. The car does have sentimental value which is why I'm trying to get it back and into pristine condition!

Vehicle lineup:
2003 325i-Premium pkg, heated seats, leather (sold)

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe-Navigation, Sunroof, DVD, 4X4, autoride, etc. (sold)

2007 Audi A6-everything except navigation (sold)

2007 z-71 Avalanche-heated seats, sunroof, 4X4

2007 BMW X5 3.0si- heated seats, technology pkg, premium pkg
(current)

Also in the garage-
2007 Cadillac Escalade
2010 GMC Sierra SLT
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat
2004 GMC 2500HD

Last edited by 3seriesbmw; 01-03-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriesbmw View Post
Where would be the best place to buy a fuel pump for an 03 325i? Someone has put a aftermarket pump on it causing the fuel gauge not to function properly. Also the car has a low coolant light on and I believe the expansion tank was replaced around 80k miles. The vehicle now has 144k. Would you think it was the tank again or hoses? A yellow brake light on the dash is on as well which I'm guessing the light means it needs a set of brakes put on which was done at 100k miles under the cars maintenance plan right before it went out. The outside air temp sensor was pulled off when plastic shields were damaged causing the exterior temp to malfunction, which therefore influences how hot or cold the air conditioner inside the vehicle gets. These are the only mechanical problems that I am aware of however the interior needs a bit of work. The a, b, & c pillars need the fabric put back on them, the drivers window switch is busted, and the drivers seat pad needs to be resewn where it has separated from the bolster. I have searched the forums to see what I can find out now I am seeking other advice as well! Any and all advice is appreciated! This use to be my BMW and after going through previous owners it has gotten to this point. The car does have sentimental value which is why I'm trying to get it back and into pristine condition!
Wow. So much stuff glommed into one paragraph.
There is an answer for each one of those in the bestlinks, but it's hard for me to read so I'll let you find them.

Here's how to find the solution to each of your problems though, using just keywords:

1. Set your control panel to 80 posts per page
2. Go to the besltinks sticky thread (1)
3. For each problem, type /KEYWORDs F3

For example, for the fuel pump, type /fuel pump F3.
For the coolant, type /cooling system F3.
For the yellow light, type /abs F3.
etc.

Each one of your issues has a canonical thread for you to start from.
I'm pointing you to E39 threads, but all those problems you have are the same for the E46.

If you E46 folks have a bestlinks thread, then use that instead.

Here's just one reference from the abs search:
- How to diagnose the BMW amber ABS BRAKE DSC/ASC trifecta or bifecta (1) & what are all known options when your ABS control module is bad (1) & Quick99Si's explanation of why the 10-minute wheel speed sensor diode-action quick test doesn't always work, especially on brand new non-OEM wheel speed sensors (1) (2) & explanations by 540iman as to why the fancy diagnostic tools very often (extremely often, like almost all the time) fail to properly diagnose the trifecta or bifecta (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & where to get the fancy schmancy diagnostic tools for free once you're aware of these limitations (1) & an ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta brake pressure sensor diagnostic DIY (1) & how to test and replace the steering angle sensor (1)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Always get your part numbers from www.realoem.com and then plug them into www.furiousmethod.com to shop among vendors for brand name items only.

Do not get seduced by cheap chinese crap.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
oembimmerparts.com They are a site sponsor. Free shipping on orders over $45, and VERY good service!

Last edited by SJBimmer; 01-03-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: E46 E89 F30(Msport)
^^^^^^ www.oembimmerparts.com what he said!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Thanks! I looked at the coolant tank today and it was above the minimum line on the plastic tank! Has anyone ever had problems with the coolant sensor? Sorry I should have split that up some or numbered it! I'll try to go back and do that! Thanks again!

Vehicle lineup:

(current)

Also in the garage-
2007 Cadillac Escalade
2010 GMC Sierra SLT
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat
2004 GMC 2500HD

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3seriesbmw View Post
Thanks! I looked at the coolant tank today and it was above the minimum line on the plastic tank! Has anyone ever had problems with the coolant sensor? Sorry I should have split that up some or numbered it! I'll try to go back and do that! Thanks again!
Coolant sensor has broken before.
Why ask this way? What is your problem?

By coolant tank do you mean the ET? expansion tank?
Question here?
Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM

Sorry I suppose I had the wrong tank. I will have to go back by soon and see if I can check the level.

Vehicle lineup:

(current)

Also in the garage-
2007 Cadillac Escalade
2010 GMC Sierra SLT
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat
2004 GMC 2500HD