Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
None of the lighter plugs work (charge)

Looking for the usual great help from the bimmerfest family...

Just took over a lease and i'm finding all kinds of strange "gremlins" that are making me super skeptical. The most recent "find" is that none of the lighter plugs work. At first i thought somehow my charger, which i had JUST used in another car, decided right then to fail, but i tried multiple chargers in multiple plugs (cupholders, center console, passenger footwell) and none of them work with any charger. So... what can this be? A blown fuse? Anyone know which fuse it is and at which location? I just find it sooooo odd that something like this would happen.

Appreciate everyone's input and help.
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: A Car!
I had a similar issue with the power outlets in the center armrest and passenger footwell areas. It turned out to be a blown fuse which the dealer replaced. Fuses are located in the glovebox and trunk (passenger side near the brake lights); there is a fuse diagram located with the fuses in the trunk area. Assuming your car is still under warranty, I would recommend you just take it to a dealer to get this sorted out.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM

I'm trying to find the right fuse, but based on the diagram i can't find it...maybe i'm just missing something obvious. I have no problem changing fuses myself if i can just find the right one, however, i also read on another forum that several people were charged for this exact repait and the dealership's position that this was not the intended use of the various lighters (charging), that they were never intended for chargers, and therefore the malfunction was not due to intended use...total BS of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaghetti View Post
I had a similar issue with the power outlets in the center armrest and passenger footwell areas. It turned out to be a blown fuse which the dealer replaced. Fuses are located in the glovebox and trunk (passenger side near the brake lights); there is a fuse diagram located with the fuses in the trunk area. Assuming your car is still under warranty, I would recommend you just take it to a dealer to get this sorted out.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM

I've found at least one blown one...number 54. Will try to replace tomorrow and hope for the best.

For reference for others, the icon on the fuse diagram/schematic is the one with the - ---C-->+ symbol. I just started checking all the fuses in order and it happened to be the first one that was blown; it's also possible that more than one is blown. I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: matchbox
My experience has been BMW cig lighter sockets can be shorted easily hence causing the fuse to blow. If you insert the chargers straight in and pull them straight out without wiggling the charger this will avoid shorting the socket. I now always carry extra fuses in the car so I can replace the fuse on the road. Not sure why BMW would design a socket that shorts so easily.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 293 View Post
My experience has been BMW cig lighter sockets can be shorted easily hence causing the fuse to blow. If you insert the chargers straight in and pull them straight out without wiggling the charger this will avoid shorting the socket. I now always carry extra fuses in the car so I can replace the fuse on the road. Not sure why BMW would design a socket that shorts so easily.
This is the same information that I overheard being given to a customer at the local BMW parts department yesterday. Something about the socket's design makes it suited to only devices carefully engineered not to cross (short) the contacts. Who makes these specially tuned devices? Hmmm...
Old 01-05-2013, 05:38 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Check this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=fuse

The lighter power supply are the ones marked in the bottom right, 54, 65, 108, 147, 156.

Believe it or not, there are several fuses depending on which socket you use. The one for the trunk is in the trunk fuse box, and the ones for the center armrest is in another. The socket under the glovebox is actually on a third fuse...

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Kaos

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Something else to check is whether the wires/power is actually connected to the the outlet. When I had my stereo upgraded, I noticed that BMW forgot to connect the power wire to the outlet in the trunk. The installer says that is very common with BMWs for some reason. Could be a really simple fix.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Problem solved...fuse #54 (20a)...easy replace...replaced with one that has a "visual que" that shows blown/not blown status (red light) so next time inspection should be easy (pop off glove compartment panel and just look).

Total cost: $2.99 (set of 2)