Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner
Still can't... I will keep waiting. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
My local dealer told me that I can order 2014 already so looks like this is dealer or region specific...

I'm in NC

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 01-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
... I think it's dealer awareness and knowledge rather than regional. I decided to go out of state after having a dealer SA who couldn't keep even basic facts straight and wasted hours of my time on the same questions over and over. He even called me yesterday (he was suppose to call me about 2 weeks ago) to tell me for the fourth time that the MY was changing in March but they just found out they wouldn't be able to order the car for about 2 months. I thanked him for his time and said I wasn't interested in waiting that long to order the car and would be getting a car from another dealership. Part of my did want to tell him it was another BMW dealership and the order was already in and he blew a sale so bad I'm willing to drive 6 hours to avoid dealing with him anymore.

Anyway,
Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 PM

I'm going tomorrow to make my order as well. I was told that they don't have pricing yet but I can place order for 2014 on 2013 prices and then if any changes it will updated in few weeks.

I'm taking sDrive 28i in Deep Sea Blue with Coral Red and actually all packages.

BMWCCA Member # 447308

Last edited by vetaldj; 01-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetaldj View Post
I'm going tomorrow to make my order as well. I was told that they don't have pricing yet but I can place order for 2014 on 2013 prices and then if any changes it will updated in few weeks.

I'm taking sDrive 28i in Deep Sea Blue with Coral Red and actually all packages.
Any update there? I am curious why I still can't...
Old 01-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Well, I actually did not place an order as something othe came up last minutes and I can't buy car now for few more month...

But, my local dealer told me that they can order 2014 and quote me 2013 prices as they don't have 2014 yet and then price will adjust automatically. They called somewhere to verify all this so I think it's true... I select all packages without specific items so I bet they will have it there as well.

Other dealers in area told me same thing - they can't place an order for 2014 yet at all.

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
I had seen something written about an M Sport option no longer existing but it is now an X1 M Sport (no option selected) as a starting point. Is there info about what this actually means?
Old 02-03-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper S
Ordered 2014 X1 M Sport Line

Was able to place order with dealer on Friday. They did not have allocation for March production yet but expect to have it soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
I have an appointment to order mine on friday, with a May delivery, maybe earlier, but not much. I have not even driven one yet I just KNOW it is the car I have been looking for.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchabigone View Post
I have not even driven one yet I just KNOW it is the car I have been looking for.
I felt the same way when I ordered the car in August. Have no regrets. It fits my active lifestyle and it's a blast to drive.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive28i
To those thinking of skipping the test drive: I'd encourage everyone to drive an X1 before purchasing, even if think you're sure it's what you want. I'm not saying you won't be happy, but I skimped on the test drive and regret it. I've ended up pretty disappointed with mine, 1500 miles in - I was hoping for something sporty and fun, and I instead feel like I'm driving a leaden land yacht around. It's a very well built car, moreso in pretty much every category than my old Mini, but it's nowhere near as enjoyable or responsive, and I find myself pining for the Mini when I'm driving the X1.

I do wonder if I would have been happier with the 3.5, rather than the 2.8 - I think the eco focus of the 2.8 has been at the detriment of driving enjoyment, and I wonder if the 3.5 is tuned differently. I should have driven them side by side before deciding.

I also encourage you to try the automatic features. In my case, I have serious regrets over the auto-dimming mirrors - I'm about to figure out which fuse controls them and yank it so I can actually see at night. Not all of them are bad - I actually really like the auto wipers - but I'd encourage you to try some driving at night if at all possible if you're considering the premium package.

I think I've been soured by the combination of a bad ED delivery and the overall driver experience (throttle response, automatic features, etc.) both not matching my expectations from BMW... this is a car that feels like it was produced by a totally different company than the driver-friendly one behind the 97 Z3 and 05 Mini that I was previously familiar with. I do think the car will grow on me over time, but I was supposed to have sold the MINI by now and I'm stalling - I miss it, and it may have a permanent place in the garage.

Long story short - don't assume that my impressions will be yours and don't let me dissuade you from enjoying the X1, but you really should spend some time driving the car so you know what you're getting into and have no regrets.

Last edited by SeattleX1; 02-07-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
Mini owners have expressed disappointment with the countryman so I'm not surprised you are having the same feelings about the X1. Most Mini drivers move to the clubman which retains the mini feel.

Good advice about test driving before buying. Bad practice to skip the test drives.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
Was able to place order with dealer on Friday. They did not have allocation for March production yet but expect to have it soon.
I placed my order for a 2014 with the dealer last Friday, but he wasn't able to officially place the order with BMW and get a production number until allocations for March production were released. I received an email yesterday (Wednesday) saying that the order has been officially placed and I now have a production number. The production number is not yet working on BMWUSA (my understanding is that it takes a few days for the system to get updated), but I will be checking regularly.

I will be taking delivery at Performance Driving School.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I ordered the car before the test drive however I did test drive before I signed the papers and took ownership. Always test drive the car you are actually buying before you sign the papers. They just didn't have the cars on the lot at the time I ordered.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleX1 View Post
To those thinking of skipping the test drive: I'd encourage everyone to drive an X1 before purchasing, even if think you're sure it's what you want. I'm not saying you won't be happy, but I skimped on the test drive and regret it. I've ended up pretty disappointed with mine, 1500 miles in - I was hoping for something sporty and fun, and I instead feel like I'm driving a leaden land yacht around. It's a very well built car, moreso in pretty much every category than my old Mini, but it's nowhere near as enjoyable or responsive, and I find myself pining for the Mini when I'm driving the X1.

I do wonder if I would have been happier with the 3.5, rather than the 2.8 - I think the eco focus of the 2.8 has been at the detriment of driving enjoyment, and I wonder if the 3.5 is tuned differently. I should have driven them side by side before deciding.

I also encourage you to try the automatic features. In my case, I have serious regrets over the auto-dimming mirrors - I'm about to figure out which fuse controls them and yank it so I can actually see at night. Not all of them are bad - I actually really like the auto wipers - but I'd encourage you to try some driving at night if at all possible if you're considering the premium package.

I think I've been soured by the combination of a bad ED delivery and the overall driver experience (throttle response, automatic features, etc.) both not matching my expectations from BMW... this is a car that feels like it was produced by a totally different company than the driver-friendly one behind the 97 Z3 and 05 Mini that I was previously familiar with. I do think the car will grow on me over time, but I was supposed to have sold the MINI by now and I'm stalling - I miss it, and it may have a permanent place in the garage.

Long story short - don't assume that my impressions will be yours and don't let me dissuade you from enjoying the X1, but you really should spend some time driving the car so you know what you're getting into and have no regrets.
Nothing drives like a Mini, certainly not an SAV that weighs 900 pounds more. Not sure why you expected a similar driving experience. The X1 is a much more grown up vehicle, more sophisticated larger and more serious. There's a reason that there is a Mini division and a BMW division. They appeal to separate demographics. The closest BMW sedan you can get to a Mini is a 128i and even that is a different driving experience.

Last edited by Michael Schott; 02-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
I will certainly drive the one I am going to buy and test drive one at the dealer on Fri. I am wondering if and how dark your tint is, I have the auto-dim mirrors on my e92coupe with no tint and have no problems. I was this close to buying a Passat TDI( could not get past the build quality) when I found this new beemer so I will really check it out, not my first rodeo, I am 60. One of my favorite cars ever was a 2004 Forrester XT, This reminds me of that without the hood scoop and a little more class. My SA has reserved a production slot for me that they just got the other day. Just because I have the slot does not mean I will order if the test drive goes bad. Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE !!!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
You guys have me concerned -- I'm also selling a Mini for an X1 (currently waiting for the X1 to arrive). I thought that the X1's handling was maybe 75% of the way there to the Mini, when I test drove it, but it was admittedly a short test drive without a lot of twistys.

I'm pretty sad to see the Mini go, but either way, I didn't have much of a choice. I needed something bigger, & wanted something a bit higher off of the ground. Those criteria limited my options... & I figure the X1's handling is probably best in class in the SAV/crossover category.

Though I do hope to have a Mini again someday, when I can justify having two cars...
Old 02-07-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by edman View Post
I placed my order for a 2014 with the dealer last Friday, but he wasn't able to officially place the order with BMW and get a production number until allocations for March production were released. I received an email yesterday (Wednesday) saying that the order has been officially placed and I now have a production number. The production number is not yet working on BMWUSA (my understanding is that it takes a few days for the system to get updated), but I will be checking regularly.

I will be taking delivery at Performance Driving School.
I'm in the same boat. I got my production number on Tuesday, still waiting to see it in the system. I'm getting mine through Jon in Santa Barbara, and don't expect it until around June. It's going to be a long wait. I will definitely drive one before then. I don't expect it to drive like a Mini, but I also drive a Honda van, so I don't expect to be disappointed.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:29 PM

Question for you MINI drivers...did you not consider the Clubman? IMO, the X1 is definitely a better choice than the Countryman.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
You guys have me concerned -- I'm also selling a Mini for an X1 (currently waiting for the X1 to arrive). I thought that the X1's handling was maybe 75% of the way there to the Mini, when I test drove it, but it was admittedly a short test drive without a lot of twistys.
The twists were a bit disappointing with the A/S tires. With summer tires, the X1 is quite competent.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: X1 28i
I really don't understand why they don't let us choose between summer or A/S tires when we buy the car. I'm definitely putting summers on, meaning that my A/S tires will go to waste, unless I'm lucky enough to find someone who will buy them... It was the same with my Mini, the A/S tires it came with were astonishingly bad -- it drove like a totally different car once I put on performance summer tires.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Missing German roads

Mein Auto: X1 xDrive35i
I'd personally like to know why you have to get summer tires (ie style 323) with front wheels at 8" wide and rear wheels at 9" wide. I'd personally like style 323 wheels with 8" all around so you can rotate tires (and get mileage warranties) and it makes life so much easier.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM

The A/S RFTs cost about half what the summers do.

The glory days of ordering flexibility with BMW are gone.

Last edited by nospam; 02-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: RX-8
Hmmm confused here. I test drove the mini countryman and then an xdrive 28i same day. The X1 was hands down a better driving experience. It felt more connected to the road.

Both of coarse felt like boats compared to my current RX-8.

I'm still quite impressed with a semi SUV X1's handling though. The brakes leave a little to be desired but overall a solid choice for the price.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Braking is much improved with summer tires vs the OEM A/S. Unfortunately, the only way to get summer tires are with M Sport.