BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X1 Space saver spare tire - now available

28K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  PhilBoettge 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
After pricing replacement summer RFTs for the M Sport tires I decided it just isn't worth it to replace the Pirelli P7s when they wear out. I used our space saver spare from the 128i to determine how much usable space the spare tire is going to take up. The X1 spare has a higher profile sidewall so it will have a slightly wider diameter (keep that in mind with the photos).

With the tire flat on the carpet, I would say usable space is not affected much for normal stuff such as going to the grocery store or Xmas shopping. If the smaller rear shelf is removed, the tire can be strapped to the back of the seat (this is our setup in the 128i). Large items that require the seats to be folded down would require you to remove the spare (which is what we had to do in the 128i prior to the X1).

Add a stroller to the mix and things get a bit more cramped. Stroller in the picture is the MacLaren Techno XT stroller. MacLaren also makes a BMW version of their Qwest stroller. We will be getting the BMW stroller bag for our Techno XT (http://www.shopmaclarenbaby.com/BMW-Lightweight-Storage-Bag/ADSE20092,default,pd.html). I prefer the tire flat on the carpet based on my testing.

Trips requiring luggage and a stroller as large as the MacLaren are going to be cramped even without the spare and may require use of the back seat to store some items (I don't think its safe to fold down part of the back seat for items with a baby in the carseat).

I hope these pictures are useful to those considering ditching the runflats and carrying a donut spare (which we have never regretted in our 128i and E90 335i).

Attachments

#8 ·
Large items that require the seats to be folded down would require you to remove the spare
Nospam, Some good arguments against switching tires and for carrying around a spare that takes up valuable cargo space. Your note that you'd have to remove the spare, to carry more cargo, should give anyone pause. The big "what if": if you were to have a flat in one of those non-RFT tires and you didn't have the spare, you're pretty much stuck, right?

IMHO, I'm ok with the stock tires, they ride fine and grip the road well. The odds of getting a flat are miniscule. I've driven over 40 years now and have had only ONE flat tire in all that time. For those who wish to switch, well first there's the cost of buying 4 new tires, plus the spare. Plus cost of mounting. Then you have to carry that spare. I don't know, but will tire shops take the RFT in trade, perhaps compensating you, a discount on new tires? Seems like a whole bunch of trouble for little gain. Vince.

#9 ·
No trade-in credit I'm afraid. I've always waited for the RFTs to wear out before switching. The cost of the BEST non-RFT performance tires plus the donut spare is less than the cost of the performance RFTs (for M Sports at least). The OEM all-season RFTs are much less expensive (but leave a lot to be desired).

#10 ·
"What-if you have a flat?"

We personally don't travel far without the spare. Just around town to Target or Home Depot to pickup a large item for example.

We wouldn't change the tire ourselves anyway (I have back problems). That's why we have roadside assistance.

The one time we needed roadside assistance was for a RFT complete failure. Tire failed after just 10 miles at 50 MPH after TPMS warning. Had to be towed to the BMW dealership. Since there was low tread on the tire there was no warranty on the run-flat failing, After they quoted us an outrageous price for a replacement we decided to go to America's Tire for non-RFTs (spare from BavAuto) and never looked back. The RFTs can still put you at risk.

#11 ·
Hi nospam, Thanks for your detailed comments/report. I have already had all these thoughts trying to work out best way to replace original 17"wheels and RF,s with Chrome 18"wheels and radials. My RF,s after 1 year, 15,000 Km,s still look new. Once I get others will probably put original in back with wheel well facing up to put stuff in wheel hole. Have thought about standing up but 7.5"wide, maybe not. My previous car I swapped originals and chromes around - eg. Originals-Service and Chromes-Trips. A small sacrifice to pay if you want your car looking good. I intended to wear originals out but was fortunate enough after advertising to sell them. It comes down to our individual situations. I would eventually like to get Spacesaver, unfortunately not US$235 where I am but AUD$700.

#13 ·
Basically in Aust. if you live away from Major City and have a RF problem after lunchtime on Saturday most tyre places are closed untill Monday and dont have RF,s in stock. Two nights accommodation, loss of work Monday maybe etc. This is in Queensland not sure about other States. You might have to accept two tyres if they dont have your brand. Dealer quoted around AUD$380 and BMW Assist is AUD$500. BMW quoted me for a Space Saver AUD$682.39 ex Germany to be exact, Wow is right. I beleive BMW should have provided a space for a SpaceSaver because everyone does,nt live near Autobarns or Major Citys and should have considered other Countrys conditions and lifestyles.

#15 ·
There are many different situations one could create if you read between the lines of my last reply. Hoping to help people to look at all the Reallity,s of their world/RFT,s situatios before making decisions. I could tell my Dealers and BMW their numbers are crazy but somehow I dont think that will convince them to drop their pricing.

#16 ·
VontiComfortKit

Another option to the high cost and loss of cargo space for an aftermarket spare tire is a Continental ContiComfortKit. It's $79 USD from Tire Rack. It provides an air compressor to inflate tires with a 15-foot power cord. A single-use can of silicone sealer will seal flats for 50 miles. There are tire size limitations.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?make=Continental&partnum=CCK&ID=38

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.