Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Having a problem putting the garage door codes into the X1

Hello, just purchased a 2014 X1. Great Car. I bought it for my Wife she loves it too. Just trying to get familiar with everything. Having a problem putting the garage door codes into the X1 buttons. I've read the manual and watched the video's. Seems like it should be one of the easiest things to do. I've tried 4 or 5 times but nothing. Erased the codes moved the door opener to several locations from the mirror but nothing. Is there a secret to this? I've held the buttons until the x1 lights stop flashing but they never flash faster. thanks
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2016, 05:36 PM

sorry was trying add a new thread not post to this.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:40 PM
Bimmerfest.com Founder

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
I moved your post to a new thread!

Tim
Old 07-19-2016, 05:46 PM

thanks
Old 07-19-2016, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Line Dinan
My dealer mentioned to me they occasionally have pairing issues with some openers that continually generate a different frequency or something like that. I don't know anything beyond that but remember the sales guy specifically mentioning this.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:36 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bratwurst View Post
My dealer mentioned to me they occasionally have pairing issues with some openers that continually generate a different frequency or something like that. I don't know anything beyond that but remember the sales guy specifically mentioning this.
Interesting considering that majority of garage door openers are like this now....

@OP: have you tried pairing it with the garage door opener? You probably have a pairing button on the motor somewhere
Old 07-20-2016, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 2.8i X Line Dinan
It came up because I live in condo so 200 different openers exist for our garage. It has been a non issue. We had the conversation because I love the option as our opener looks like an electronic box from 1956, it's big and never had a good place to keep it.

For the OP, I can say it took going through process a few times for it to take and had to hold real close to mirror.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 XDrive28i
Homelink

We went around and around on this last night and gave up. This morning my wife had a brainstorm and went to the Homelink site and printed up instructions for an X3. There are additional steps that are not in the manual.

I can't find the paper now, but essentially you do the manual's procedure (push mirror buttons 1 and 3 simultaneously until light blinks rapidly, then push one mirror button and handheld remote simultaneously) then add these steps: (1) push the "learn" button on you garage door opener (the thing overhead that pulls the door open) then, within 30 seconds (2) go back in the car and push the single mirror button you set earlier, three times in succession, about three seconds apart. Voila! At least you don't have to swing anything over your head and cluck like a chicken (Lucy!.....)
Old 08-01-2016, 02:18 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Yeah after having the car for a year I finally got around to doing it... Lol

We have a lift master with a purple learn button (since I know that matters). I first unplugged the opener and with the remote programmed the HomeLink mirror - press and hold the button on the mirror until the light blinks, then keep pressing the button on the remote until the light on the mirror blinks rapidly. After that I had to teach the garage door opener - plugged it back in and with the mirror right underneath the opener I pressed the learn button while my wife kept pressing the button on the mirror. I actually had to do it twice as the first time the opener blinked it didn't seem to take actually. And the first time I tried programming with the car outside it didn't work either.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: X1 35i
I posted this on another thread somewhere on bimmerfest.

so I bought a 2014 x1 35i and let me tell you, programming the universal garage door opener was the biggest pain. It wouldn't accept a signal for the longest time. I talked to the bmw genius, to homelink to no avail. Eventually I got mad, after over an hour and started pushing both buttons as hard and as fast as I could, and after like 10 times, the home link mirror was blinking fast. So I tried the programming from the opener, and it seems to have learned the revolving code. We'll see. Hopefully it still works in the morning.

I guess to non violent was is to hold the button on the opener and on the homelink mirror. After 15-20 seconds, push them both again. Keep trying this for maybe up to 10 times and the homelink should eventually sync. Some openers have a time out on the sending of signal from the remote.

Then proceed to the steps for the learning of the revolving code.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X1 XDrive28i
Because we have four cars, each time we would get one car programmed, another would lose its programming. After doing each car at least twice, we got them all done. If the mirror controls were not part of a package that came on my cpo x1, I would never order it as an option.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 GTI, x1 x28 incoming
Call Homelink. The unit in the E84 is old and incompatible with newer openers. You need to get them to send you a repeater that you can keep plugged in inside your garage. They should only charge you for the shipping, not the unit itself.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search