Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Cool TPMS Question-Winter Tires

I will need to put winter tires on the X1 any day now. Since I purchased rims which do not have the TPMS sensors it appears I have three choices:

1. Live with the TPMS warning activated.
2. Retrofit the rims with TPMS sensors.
3. Have one of the coding vendors remove the TPMS code. From the forums I understand this can even be done remotely.

My question is, given scenario #1, does anyone know if there is a gong associated with the warning, does it time out, and does the TPMS light flash or just stay on. As I am writing this I realize I could just let the air out of one of the tires and see but I do not have a compressor to refill it and I assume someone has gone this route and arrived at a suitable solution.

My Snows are also non-run flats so it will be interesting to see how the overall ride (hopefully) improves although I do not find the ride with the run-flats objectionable.
Ads by Google
Old 11-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
I will need to put winter tires on the X1 any day now. Since I purchased rims which do not have the TPMS sensors it appears I have three choices:

1. Live with the TPMS warning activated.
2. Retrofit the rims with TPMS sensors.
3. Have one of the coding vendors remove the TPMS code. From the forums I understand this can even be done remotely.

My question is, given scenario #1, does anyone know if there is a gong associated with the warning, does it time out, and does the TPMS light flash or just stay on. As I am writing this I realize I could just let the air out of one of the tires and see but I do not have a compressor to refill it and I assume someone has gone this route and arrived at a suitable solution.

My Snows are also non-run flats so it will be interesting to see how the overall ride (hopefully) improves although I do not find the ride with the run-flats objectionable.
I lived with 1) last year. I'm actually going to have tpms sensors installed in my winter set this morning, as I don't want to live with the tire light constantly on (the initial alert in the check system area can be removed with a press of the stalk, but the warning light never goes away.) The monitors are around $45 each from tirerack.com.

Although my winter set (this is on my 335d) is go-flat (and is a slightly taller square 225/45R18 profile rather than sport package /40 & /35 staggared 18" set), the ride is not substantially "better". Less "crashing" in potholes, but otherwise similar.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
TPMS Question-Winter Tires

My winter tires are non-run flats on 17" rims. They do make the ride softer than the 18" summer staggered run flats. It's a little more luxury car feel. Turning is not as crisp as with the summer tires but it's not bad.

I got the TPMS from tire rack and they work fine.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Wolfex; 11-04-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Floyd,

Thank you for your answer.

I assume if the sensors are in the valve stem the tire guy can install them easily enough. Does the tire have to be removed from the rim, remounted and rebalanced?

In deciding which way to go on this I am estimating the cost which I assume to be $45 X 4 plus sensor install, mount and balance.

Perhaps you could share the overall cost when you get your car back. That would be great.

Choice #3, disabling the TPMS is not necessarily a permanent fix as any future tinkering of the electronics by the BMW dealer due to a recall or whatever will re-enable the system. It is my understanding the dealer will not disable anything that came enabled with the car.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x28i MSport
The TPMS is not "in the stem." It is a unit a couple inches square with a stem attached. The tire does need to be removed, remounted, and re-balanced. Also note that not every rim can accommodate the sensor (although I think the vast majority can.)

dd: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i MSport
in garage: 2011 Mazda MX5 Miata 6mt
Wife's car: 2012 X3 35i
retired:
2011 335d
2008 328i 6mt
2005 325i 5mt
Old 11-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
...I assume if the sensors are in the valve stem the tire guy can install them easily enough. Does the tire have to be removed from the rim, remounted and rebalanced?

Perhaps you could share the overall cost when you get your car back. That would be great.
Mount/balance was $15 each at my local Discount Tire.

I just put them on and re-initialized the TPM system: sweet and clean.

BTW, The OEM ones used to be labeled BERU, now often have HUF as that division was bought from Bosch by Huf.