Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Well crap: Our W906 was in an accident

Our Roadtrek Adventurous (W906 Sprinter Class B RV) was hit by a motorcycle last week.

Guy is ok. Mrs. MMME30W was a bit shaken but unhurt.

The coach is a bit banged up though, it's at the shop now getting repaired. Estimator said bumper, fender, headlight, supports, grill, valence, radiator brackets, etc. etc.

Hopefully won't put us off from taking our vacation up north to visit relatives in August.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406596338.763612.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	455245

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 07-28-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-28-2014, 06:53 PM
I hate doing dishes

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0i
MMMEOUCH!

All that damage from a motorcycle. Glad the rider is OK, and glad it wasn't a car or truck that hit you!
Good luck, I hope it gets fixed quickly so you can make that vacation.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:25 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Sorry to hear this. Where do you take something like that to get repaired? Mercedes shop? RV dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:26 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
Sorry to hear this. Where do you take something like that to get repaired? Mercedes shop? RV dealer?

Uh... Body shop?

Make sure you file for DV.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Is that a diesel?
Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
You say the motorcyclist is ok. Can you define "ok"? To see such damage to your RV, surely he or she must be injured to some extent.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
You say the motorcyclist is ok. Can you define "ok"? To see such damage to your RV, surely he or she must be injured to some extent.
Knocked off bike, walked away = ok.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
Is that a diesel?
Ayup. 3.0 V6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott ZHP View Post
As far as insurance is concerned, it's a 'commercial van'. The Collision center is associated wtih MBZ of Tampa.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
How did a motorcycle hit you?

"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 07-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
How did a motorcycle hit you?

Without going into details, it appears from the eyewitnesses he just didn't see the RV and drove into her side.

Which is curious, with a 22' long, 9'6" tall, silver vehicle.

Here's us in the Keys a couple months ago:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1406678681.541984.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	455402

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Glad to hear the motorcyclist is ok. I am sure the repairs on your vehicle will be fine. That is one sharp looking vehicle that you have there; it must be a lot of fun to travel with.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
That's a huge projector screen you've got there. You watch a lot of movies while you're out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Without going into details, it appears from the eyewitnesses he just didn't see the RV and drove into her side.

Which is curious, with a 22' long, 9'6" tall, silver vehicle.

Here's us in the Keys a couple months ago:

Old 07-29-2014, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
No one said it? Day-um this place got old and crusty over the years...

"No worries, it'll buff out".

Ashamed at you folks. This used to be a fun forum...
Old 07-30-2014, 04:00 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Uh... Body shop?

Make sure you file for DV.
It won't fit inside many downdraft spray booths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Eyewitnesses? If the motorcycle hit the left front corner of your W906, I would think whoever was driving the W906 would have had a front row seat to see what happened. Details are important. Were you stopped or moving at the time of (or immediately before) the impact? Intersection? Stop sign or traffic light? Did the MC run a traffic sign/signal? Your OP implies that the MC was "at fault", and this may be true for your situation, but statistics show that when a MC and a non-MC motor vehicle collide in the front, it's usually NOT the MC who did not see the other vehicle. Just wondering . . .
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 07-30-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
...and this may be true for your situation,

^^^ This.

Trust me

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 07-30-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

On a happier note, the coach is supposed to be ready tomorrow so we aim to be on the road north by this weekend.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
^^^ This.

Trust me
Unfortunately, until you provide a few more details about what happened, which you seem reluctant to provide, we have no reason to "trust you". The most common frontal impact scenario between a motorcycle and a non-MC motor vehicle is the motor vehicle making a left turn into the path on the oncoming motorcycle. The second most common scenario is a motor vehicle pulling out from a parking lot or side street into the path of the oncoming motorcycle. If the motor vehicle has just pulled out (and especially if the motor vehicle then stops), the motorcycle hits the motor vehicle at a near 90 degree angle, leaving impact damage that looks very similar to your W906 (confined body damage with no damage to front wheel or to headlight). In motorcycle safety classes they hammer these two danger scenarios into you so that you can take precautions (like flashing your headlight) to reduce your risks from drivers who do not "see" you.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Unfortunately, until you provide a few more details about what happened, which you seem reluctant to provide, we have no reason to "trust you". The most common frontal impact scenario between a motorcycle and a non-MC motor vehicle is the motor vehicle making a left turn into the path on the oncoming motorcycle. The second most common scenario is a motor vehicle pulling out from a parking lot or side street into the path of the oncoming motorcycle. If the motor vehicle has just pulled out (and especially if the motor vehicle then stops), the motorcycle hits the motor vehicle at a near 90 degree angle, leaving impact damage that looks very similar to your W906 (confined body damage with no damage to front wheel or to headlight). In motorcycle safety classes they hammer these two danger scenarios into you so that you can take precautions (like flashing your headlight) to reduce your risks from drivers who do not "see" you.

MC was at fault. It was written up by the cop and a citation issued to the MC operator.

Look, I can tell you what I think happened, but I wasn't there. I don't intend to provide any details because it would be speculation on my part.

Suffice it to say we are out $500 because the guy had no insurance, lost the use of our coach for two weeks and will suffer diminished value.

So forgive me if I am not too sympathetic.

I'm sorry the MC wasn't looking, and that sucks for him. He should be more careful next time. Luckily, he could have easily sustained serious injury or worse.

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 07-30-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
That's a huge projector screen you've got there. You watch a lot of movies while you're out there?
Silly MatWiz, it's the 12' extendable Fiamma awning.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Silly MatWiz, it's the 12' extendable Fiamma awning.
Awwwwwwww!
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

Quote:
MC was at fault. It was written up by the cop and a citation issued to the MC operator.

Look, I can tell you what I think happened, but I wasn't there. I don't intend to provide any details because it would be speculation on my part.

Suffice it to say we are out $500 because the guy had no insurance, lost the use of our coach for two weeks and will suffer diminished value.

So forgive me if I am not too sympathetic.

I'm sorry the MC wasn't looking, and that sucks for him. He should be more careful next time. Luckily, he could have easily sustained serious injury or worse.
I did not ask you for sympathy. I asked you how the motorcycle hit your W906, becasue when a motorcycle and a non-MC motor vehicle have a frontal collision, it is usually the driver of the motor vehicle who is at fault ("I did not see the motorcycle.").

And now you tell us the police issued a citation to the MC operator, and that he had no insurance (which is irrelevant to fault).

But what you have not told us is even the barest information about how the left front corner of your W906 came to be in the path of a moving motorcycle. Now you may not have been there at the time, but unless your W906 was parked or can drive itself, then someone you know was in the driver's seat at the time the motorcycle hit your W906 right in front of them. So they know what happened. And they surely told you what happened. So it would not be speculation on your part to tell us what that person told you happened, or even what the police report said happened. But you have not done so. What you have done is the whine about the damage to your W906, loss of use, $500 insurance cost, and diminished value due to a careless motorcyclist.

And that is curious to me, because I have never known anyone who was involved in a motor vehicle accident who did not discuss the details about what happened when they are discussing the accident, even if they are at fault. It just seems to be people's inherent nature.

Except for you.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
I did not ask you for sympathy. I asked you how the motorcycle hit your W906, becasue when a motorcycle and a non-MC motor vehicle have a frontal collision, it is usually the driver of the motor vehicle who is at fault ("I did not see the motorcycle.").

And now you tell us the police issued a citation to the MC operator, and that he had no insurance (which is irrelevant to fault).

But what you have not told us is even the barest information about how the left front corner of your W906 came to be in the path of a moving motorcycle. Now you may not have been there at the time, but unless your W906 was parked or can drive itself, then someone you know was in the driver's seat at the time the motorcycle hit your W906 right in front of them. So they know what happened. And they surely told you what happened. So it would not be speculation on your part to tell us what that person told you happened, or even what the police report said happened. But you have not done so. What you have done is the whine about the damage to your W906, loss of use, $500 insurance cost, and diminished value due to a careless motorcyclist.

And that is curious to me, because I have never known anyone who was involved in a motor vehicle accident who did not discuss the details about what happened when they are discussing the accident, even if they are at fault. It just seems to be people's inherent nature.

Except for you.

Relax, Mike. I'm a rider, too, so I get where you're coming from, but he doesn't owe us an explanation.

Let's say he were to explain it, and you can ascertain from t his explanation that he shared or was fully at fault. What benefit does that get you - a moment of "gotcha!"? So what?

Not to mention, there are PLENTY of dumbass motorcyclists out there, I see them all the time and shake my head.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Got word they are supposed to receive the fender this morning (last part). Hopefully in paint and then complete later today for pickup. Yippee!!

Anyone know if you can immediately drive with a freshly painted part? Our advisor indicates it is "no problem" these days with the type of paint they use? We were going to set off tomorrow for a 500-600 mile run (hopefully to NC; our son is deploying overseas with the USMC from Camp LeJuene for 9 months on Saturday, and we'd really like to see him before he leaves)

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post

"No worries, it'll buff out".

Hey, maybe I should detail the tires JFB...

- J.C. Watts Jr.