Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
*OFFICIAL* 2014 NFL Thread

It has started!

The most sought-after free agent signed today....for less money than the market offered.

Bennett is STILL a Seahawk!

The 49ers wanted him. The Bears tried to get him -- and there were reports that Chi-town was ready to sign him.

"The 12 man is biggest reason I came back..."

Best Fans in the NFL!

Let the dynasty begin!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2...tt/#20699101=0
Ads by Google
Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: '13 Jetta TDI
:d
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jeez.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	427332  
Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM

pretty good link for transactions.
http://www.nfl.com/transactions?tran...ctionTeamAbbr=
The biggest movers/shakers so far are the Broncos and Seahawks.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
It has started!

The most sought-after free agent signed today....for less money than the market offered.

Bennett is STILL a Seahawk!

The 49ers wanted him. The Bears tried to get him -- and there were reports that Chi-town was ready to sign him.

"The 12 man is biggest reason I came back..."

Best Fans in the NFL!

Let the dynasty begin!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/football/2...tt/#20699101=0
Most sought after? Take your Seahawks glasses off.

That being said, I like it when players appreciate a good franchise and opportunity to continue winning over money; BUT in the end, I am sure the Seahawks still gave him close to what he could have had in free agency. These players aren't stupid and know that a 4-year deal like this might be the most lucrative contract they ever get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 08' 4Runner V8
Well... no more Talib for the Pats.... I hope Bill has a plan, although I'm sure he probably does. Looks like Talib will be playing for the Yankees next year..... I mean - the Bronco's.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

”They're” is a contraction of “they are.”
“They are” should always be able to replace “they're.”

Extra credit: It's "I'm looking for an M3" not "I'm looking for a M3".
Old 03-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
Well... no more Talib for the Pats.... I hope Bill has a plan, although I'm sure he probably does. Looks like Talib will be playing for the Yankees next year..... I mean - the Bronco's.
No Yanks in the NFL. Unlike the MLB, the NFL actually enforces its salary cap.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2014, 01:18 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Quote:
Talib's health is a concern. The Pats will upgrade by signing Tampa CB Darrelle Revis.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Next year the Broncos will play a 1st place schedule and they'll need to contend with all 4 NFC West teams. They'll be lucky to be 11-5 by year's end. And even luckier if Peyton makes it the year without injury.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 386K
I see a slow motion face plant in Denver's future. I will be all sad and stuff about it.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. - Samuel Johnson
Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
No Yanks in the NFL. Unlike the MLB, the NFL actually enforces its salary cap.
I know that and it's one of many things I like about Football.

I was simply making a joke about the fact that the Bronco's seem to buy most of their talent rather than grow it.

"Their" is a possessive pronoun. In a phrase like “Susan and Bill's car,” it could be used to to make a new phrase: “their car.”

Old 03-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Jets score huge with our former Seahawk Tackle who was known as "The Enforcer", Breno Giacomini. His eyebrows scare DTs to jump offsides.
Detroit scores with Golden Tate, they get a punt returner and a solid WR. I remember calling my wife 3 or 4 years ago when we drafted him, I was so jacked about that pick. Now he's gone.

Last edited by Sportsdad; 03-13-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Jets score huge with our former Seahawk Tackle who was known as "The Enforcer", Breno Giacomini. His eyebrows scare DTs to jump offsides.
Detroit scores with Golden Tate, they get a punt returner and a solid WR. I remember calling my wife 3 or 4 years ago when we drafted him, I was so jacked about that pick. Now he's gone.
If Harvin plays half the season you won't miss Tate.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:25 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Hell, you will not even remember he played for the team.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
Quote:
That being said, I like it when players appreciate a good franchise and opportunity to continue winning over money; BUT in the end, I am sure the Seahawks still gave him close to what he could have had in free agency. These players aren't stupid and know that a 4-year deal like this might be the most lucrative contract they ever get.
+1

I never understand the decision making process when a player just signs for the most money they can get. I always think there is a sh!tty agent really making the decision.

If, for example, I am being offered $20M over four years to sign with someone like Seattle, NE, SF, GB, etc; meaning the better (all around) franchises in the league currently, and Oakland or Jacksonville or the like offer me $25M over four years. I could care less about the extra $5M, I want to play for a contender/winner.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin T View Post
+1

I never understand the decision making process when a player just signs for the most money they can get. I always think there is a sh!tty agent really making the decision.

If, for example, I am being offered $20M over four years to sign with someone like Seattle, NE, SF, GB, etc; meaning the better (all around) franchises in the league currently, and Oakland or Jacksonville or the like offer me $25M over four years. I could care less about the extra $5M, I want to play for a contender/winner.
Knowing how short the average NFL tenure is. I'd want to get financially set as fast as possible. I love a good story about how a player signs with the team he feels at home with, but look at the violence they experience......

Old 03-14-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Harvin is not nearly as durable as Tate. Tate can take a punch to the mouth, get up, and catch a one-handed TD the next play.

If Harvin gets bumped, he's out for 3 weeks.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
+1

In Tate's defense, he's going to a team which was 5th in the NFL for passing attempts, vs something like 26th for Seattle. He wants touches on ball. You have to remember these are athletes, not financial wizards. I read something awhile back that roughly 70% of NFL players are broke 5 years after leaving the league.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
+1

I wonder about this every time a guy signs someplace that has little chance of winning. It's like, how could you leave a contender for a doormat, when the money is normally going to work out to being nearly the same?

Quote:
Knowing how short the average NFL tenure is. I'd want to get financially set as fast as possible. I love a good story about how a player signs with the team he feels at home with, but look at the violence they experience......
I think we're going to see more and more guys looking not just for the big contract, but making decisions based on how much of it is guaranteed. Specifically due to what you mention.

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 03-14-2014, 08:29 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Hell, you will not even remember he played for the team.
The only reason the NFL will ever remember Golden Tate is because he scored a game winning touchdown that wasn't one. It's almost as much of a mystery as the 777 that went missing.

Quote:
Old 03-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
The only reason the NFL will ever remember Golden Tate is because he scored a game winning touchdown that wasn't one. It's almost as much of a mystery as the 777 that went missing.
Perhaps by you or your region, you folks don't see many Seahawk games.
He'll be remembered in this area for many circus catches like this:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-se...of-Golden-Tate

Last edited by Sportsdad; 03-14-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:07 AM

Incidently, breaking news in the NFC West.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NFC West 10 years.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	427986  

Last edited by Sportsdad; 03-14-2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Perhaps by you or your region, you folks don't see many Seahawk games.
He'll be remembered in this area for many circus catches like this:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-se...of-Golden-Tate
Oh I don't doubt it. The problem at WR is that there about a handful REALLY dominant WRs and then it drops off quickly by quite a few notches into territory where there are maybe another 20-50 that are all about on the same productivity level.

The fact is that on a successful, pass-heavy team (which the Seahawks are clearly not), Tate would be highly unlikely to be in the first spot on the depth chart and might even on some teams struggle to be No. 2. Does that make him a bad WR? Not at all, but he doesn't strike me as particularly outstanding. There are plenty of guys making circus catches and plenty of guys able to take hits across the middle and walk back to the huddle with a smile. There aren't many that can match up with the top CBs 1-1 and come out productive. There are not many that constantly draw double-teams to keep them in check. Tate doesn't fall in that latter category.

Quote:

Last edited by cwinter; 03-14-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
+1

Actually, there is more you can earn post career if you have super bowls. The more you win, the more credibility you have with the media and fans. You can do sports related TV, radio, columns, books, talk shows, and speaking engagements. Endorsement deals too. But you have to have the long term view.

Somebody like Deion or Jerry Rice could explain it to players but in the end, most of them aren't bright enough to look ten or twenty years down the road.

When I see anyone go to the Browns or Raiders all I think is he wants the pay check. The bills signed a former no 1 pick tO their team last year. Remember his name? Of course not as he took cash and obscurity over becoming a legend. Can't for the life of me figure out why Calvin Johnson would sign longterm with the Lions. Except for money. Adrian Peterson obviously doesn't care about winning or he never would have signed any extension with the Vikes.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 386K
Quote:
+1

A slight bit off topic, something like this happened with the lost and lamented Seattle Sonics around '78. Marvin Webster, a thin, 7'1" center had come to Seattle from Denver IIRC the year before and had by far his best season, and the Sonics went to the NBA finals. Post season, the NY Knicks offered him some extra $$ to jump as he had only been on a one year contract. Seattle sportswriters urged him in print to resist, saying that the New York sports scene chewed people up and spit them out, that he would do better to stay with the team that had somehow drawn his talent out into the open.

He went anyway and his career quickly went downhill. The knicks hovered around .500 during his tenure while the Sonics won the NBA title the following year w/o him.

Whoa, just did a search on him out of curiosity and he was born about a month before me and died at 56 of heart failure. Sometimes the really tall guys don't live long.

Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. - Samuel Johnson

Last edited by cmac2012; 03-14-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:11 PM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mark Sanchez signs with Eagles. IMHO: It's a perfect fit: a loser QB for a loser franchise.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...foles/6961425/