Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

View Poll Results: How concerned are you about the Ebola virus?
Very concerned 5 11.63%
Somewhat concerned 6 13.95%
a little concerned 6 13.95%
Not concerned at all. 26 60.47%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2014, 09:30 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
How concerned are you about the Ebola virus?

It's spreading like wildfire in West Africa. Won't be long until it gets to the US.
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
I am "a little concerned", centred on two concerns:
1) That the region where Ebola is manifesting, despite assistance from skilled outside workers, is perhaps not fully equipped to manage and stop the outbreak.
2) Without fantastic controls on air travel, the disease is one or two plane rides from us.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
2) Without fantastic controls on air travel, the disease is one or two plane rides from us.
That's what concerns me most.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: A car
I asked my brother about this - he says the numbers are vastly over-stated - they're dealing with hundreds of cases (673 deaths) across 3 nations mostly with more than 20 million population. That's not as bad as it sounds - the ebola virus is now only 60% fatal due to people receiving treatment early - it was > 90%.

To answer the question if I'm concerned - I'm not bothered about it reaching here - but very concerned that my little brother is cycling through west Africa now - currently in Senegal and headed south through ebola zones ....

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
This is why I'm "a little concerned", as well. I don't think it's coming to my town, but I could see some sections of cities with a large African population getting pretty well torn up by it. Once that happens, it could get anywhere as the aide workers carry it back out of those infected areas.

I’m usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 07-31-2014, 12:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
A little concerned. I fly a lot, I don't want to be unlucky. If it does vector to the us it will get stooped /controlled quickly.. But someone will be. On the wrong plane at the wrong time.....

I'd done some research on Ebola and otter hemorrhagic viruses years ago. We talk about soldiers, police and firefighters being heros for heading into danger...... The health care workers that go there and help simply defy comprehension. IMO, unarmed, limited resources, villagers ready to kill them thinking they are the devil....unlike flames or gunfire, this is a silent, invisible death...yes, something else.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:25 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
This book is almost 20 years old but if you're interested in Ebola it's a must-read: http://www.amazon.com/The-Hot-Zone-T.../dp/0385479565

Non-fiction but reads like a thriller.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Some people were not that concerned when AIDS spread from Africa to the US. Ebola is more contagious. Very scary indeed. A doctor from our area who was serving in Africa was just diagnosed positive. Very sad that such a selfless hero now has the disease.

Sent via Bimmerapp on Z4luvr's Note 3

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
Scary, scary sh1t. Doesn't every world ending virus movie /book start like this...

"The Stand", "The Last Ship", "28 Days Later", "Outbreak", etc

Last edited by cjwheeling; 07-31-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: '14 535ix
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb View Post
I asked my brother about this - he says the numbers are vastly over-stated - they're dealing with hundreds of cases (673 deaths) across 3 nations mostly with more than 20 million population. That's not as bad as it sounds - the ebola virus is now only 60% fatal due to people receiving treatment early - it was > 90%.

To answer the question if I'm concerned - I'm not bothered about it reaching here - but very concerned that my little brother is cycling through west Africa now - currently in Senegal and headed south through ebola zones ....
So basically your brother is downplaying a deadly epidemic cause he feels like biking in that particular part of the world exactly when there's outbreak?
You know what's the scary part? It's that after that he will fly back to the US. And he's not the only one. It will only take one undetected carrier to cause millions of casualties right here in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/african-states...170858040.html

Quote:
The World Health Organization warned west Africa's Ebola-hit nations on Friday that the epidemic was spiralling out of control and could spread to other countries, causing "catastrophic" loss of life and severe economic disruption.

She described the outbreak as "by far the largest ever in the nearly four-decade history of this disease".

"It is taking place in areas with fluid population movements over porous borders, and it has demonstrated its ability to spread via air travel, contrary to what has been seen in past outbreaks," she told the summit.
And there is this rare gem - they are actually bringing infected people to the US. It is beyond unbelievable someone would be irresponsible enough to bring people infected with deadly virus with over 90% mortality rate and no known cure or vaccine INTO THE US !!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health...html?hpt=hp_c2
Old 08-01-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
The latest points from st_o_p have resulted in me being more concerned.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The latest points from st_o_p have resulted in me being more concerned.
That's because people are generally ignorant about science and fearful.

Ive got zero problem with what they are doing- CDC deals with BSL4 pathogens all the time.

Dumb people hearing about it for the first time, combined with an anti-government mindset, and they sure are up in arms.

Personally I believe the risk of spread here is close to zero. And to repatriate a fellow American who needs our help, that is a risk I am willing to take. And clearly a risk that a large number of health care professionals have reviewed and agreed to be personally involved.

stop claiming on " It will only take one undetected carrier to cause millions of casualties right here in the US." is just stupid fear-mongering.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_o_p View Post
So basically your brother is downplaying a deadly epidemic cause he feels like biking in that particular part of the world exactly when there's outbreak?
You know what's the scary part? It's that after that he will fly back to the US. And he's not the only one. It will only take one undetected carrier to cause millions of casualties right here in the US.

http://news.yahoo.com/african-states...170858040.html

And there is this rare gem - they are actually bringing infected people to the US. It is beyond unbelievable someone would be irresponsible enough to bring people infected with deadly virus with over 90% mortality rate and no known cure or vaccine INTO THE US !!!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/01/health...html?hpt=hp_c2
well - if it makes you feel better - he's not American and when he returns home - it will be to the UK - not the USA

And - this outbreak is not 90% mortality - it's 60%.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...150289698.html

Equally - would you care to explain how he's downplaying the outbreak - 3 countries - 20 million population - 700 or thereabouts dead - those are facts - not hysteria.

This outbreak is spread by fleas - which is why I told him to avoid the areas - you cannot stop fleas being attracted to you ... trust me - I'd be happy if he didn't go anywhere near this disease - but he's cycling to Cape Town, South Africa - it's either ebola zone or terrorists en-route ...

Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
Some facts from CDC.GOV

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/qa.html

Quote:
The current Ebola outbreak is centered on three countries in West Africa: Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, although there is the potential for further spread to neighboring African countries. Ebola does not pose a significant risk to the U.S. public. The CDC is surging resources by sending 50 more workers to the area to help bring the outbreak under control.
What is Ebola?
Ebola virus is the cause of a viral hemorrhagic fever disease. Symptoms include: fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, stomach pain, lack of appetite, and abnormal bleeding. Symptoms may appear anywhere from 2 to 21 days after exposure to ebolavirus though 8-10 days is most common.
How is Ebola transmitted?
Ebola is transmitted through direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected symptomatic person or though exposure to objects (such as needles) that have been contaminated with infected secretions.
Can Ebola be transmitted through the air?
No. Ebola is not a respiratory disease like the flu, so it is not transmitted through the air.
Can I get Ebola from contaminated food or water?
No. Ebola is not a food-borne illness. It is not a water-borne illness.
Can I get Ebola from a person who is infected but doesn't have any symptoms?
No. Individuals who are not symptomatic are not contagious. In order for the virus to be transmitted, an individual would have to have direct contact with an individual who is experiencing symptoms.
Q: Are there any cases of individuals contracting Ebola in the U.S.?
No.
What is being done to prevent ill passengers in West Africa from getting on a plane?
CDC is assisting with active screening and education efforts on the ground in West Africa to prevent sick travelers from getting on planes. In addition, airports in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea are screening all outbound passengers for Ebola symptoms, including fever, and passengers are required to respond to a healthcare questionnaire. CDC is also surging support in the region by deploying 50 additional workers to help build capacity on the ground.
What is CDC doing in the U.S.?
On the remote possibility that an ill passenger enters the U.S., CDC has protocols in place to protect against further spread of disease. These include notification to CDC of ill passengers on a plane before arrival, investigation of ill travelers, and, if necessary, isolation. CDC has also provided guidance to airlines for managing ill passengers and crew and for disinfecting aircraft. CDC has issued a Health Alert Notice reminding U.S. healthcare workers of the importance of taking steps to prevent the spread of this virus, how to test and isolate suspected patients and how they can protect themselves from infection.
What about ill Americans with Ebola who are being brought to the U.S. for treatment? How is CDC protecting the American public?
CDC has very well-established protocols in place to ensure the safe transport and care of patients with infectious diseases back to the United States. These procedures cover the entire process -- from patients leaving their bedside in a foreign country to their transport to an airport and boarding a non-commercial airplane equipped with a special transport isolation unit, to their arrival at a medical facility in the United States that is appropriately equipped and staffed to handle such cases. CDC's role is to ensure that travel and hospitalization is done to minimize risk of spread of infection and to ensure that the American public is protected. Patients were evacuated in similar ways during SARS.
What does the CDC's Travel Alert Level 3 mean to U.S. travelers?
On July 31, the CDC elevated their warning to U.S. citizens encouraging them to defer unnecessary travel to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone over concerns that travelers may not have access to health care facilities and personnel should they need them in country.
For more information please see this statementExternal Web Site Icon from the Department of State.
Question: If it's so hard to get infected then how come 2 US doctors got infected? Did they both stab themselves with contaminated needles?

I smell BS.

Last edited by MatWiz; 08-02-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
Some facts from CDC.GOV

http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/qa.html

Question: If it's so hard to get infected then how come 2 US doctors got infected? Did they both stab themselves with contaminated needles?

I smell BS.
I heard that fleas are the biggest carrier and infection route... the problem with that is you don't know if there are fleas in the hotel you get a room in..

Old 08-02-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
well - if it makes you feel better - he's not American and when he returns home - it will be to the UK - not the USA

And - this outbreak is not 90% mortality - it's 60%.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa...150289698.html

Equally - would you care to explain how he's downplaying the outbreak - 3 countries - 20 million population - 700 or thereabouts dead - those are facts - not hysteria.

This outbreak is spread by fleas - which is why I told him to avoid the areas - you cannot stop fleas being attracted to you ... trust me - I'd be happy if he didn't go anywhere near this disease - but he's cycling to Cape Town, South Africa - it's either ebola zone or terrorists en-route ...
Sure - quote Al-Jazeera for reliable scientific information.

How about WHO instead:
EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

And the dead are now well over 900 not 700.
Basically that is what I meant by downplaying - somehow turning the high numbers into low and claiming it's safe when it's clearly not. It's a free country/world - but common sense is stay out of there while there is outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
That's because people are generally ignorant about science and fearful.

stop claiming on " It will only take one undetected carrier to cause millions of casualties right here in the US." is just stupid fear-mongering.
Very nice dude - but you got me pegged wrong. I'm not ignorant about science or anything close. I believe in science over religious fundamentalism any time. Which doesn't change the fact - if that virus gets in the wild in the US, there will be no containing it. You can call it scaremongering all you want. Fact is sh!t happens - millions of people died from deadly virus outbreak around the world in the 20th century:

The 1918-1919 worldwide epidemic, or pandemic, is estimated to have infected 500 million people resulting in nearly 40 million deaths.

http://www.infoplease.com/cig/danger...-epidemic.html

Ebola has a lot higher mortality rate than that.

Last edited by st_o_p; 08-02-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:28 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Very nice dude - but you got me pegged wrong. I'm not ignorant about science or anything close. I believe in science over religious fundamentalism any time. Which doesn't change the fact - if that virus gets in the wild in the US, there will be no containing it. You can call it scaremongering all you want. Fact is sh!t happens - millions of people died from deadly virus outbreak around the world in the 20th century:

The 1918-1919 worldwide epidemic, or pandemic, is estimated to have infected 500 million people resulting in nearly 40 million deaths.

I'll assume you've never studied microbiology, right? Everything you know about pandemics is from Andromeda Strain, or Contagion or World War Z? Yes?

Your comparison is flawed- two different diseases.

Look, if "millions will die' in the USA, HOW COME MILLIONS HAVENT DIED IN AFRICA????????? Why do you expect this to behave differently there?

I'll leave it at that.

matwiz- the "BS' comment. You need to understand the conditions healthcare workers face over there. They arent in some secure environment, only venturing out with bunny suits...it is a press the flesh environment, triage, etc...sweaty, people, degrees of risk. As they move through triage and treatment someone touched something or something got onto someone and they got it...you try your best to triage quickly and accurately but sometimes things slip up. Someone you think was OK, that accompanied a family member, talking to you...whatever...then within hours THEY show symptoms which perhaps they were hiding...too late. You cannot live in a bunny suit.

In terms of mortality rate- go to CDC and read up on the various hemorrhagic fevers, marburg, ebola, etc..you will see wildly varying mortality rates. Anyone wanna guess why? Level of care. I would opine that the lower rates are in instances with solid medical care. But 67% or 90% doesnt make much difference in spread rate, which is what the fear is (or should be) about.

Last edited by ard; 08-02-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Sure - quote Al-Jazeera for reliable scientific information.

How about WHO instead:
EVD outbreaks have a case fatality rate of up to 90%.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs103/en/

And the dead are now well over 900 not 700.
Basically that is what I meant by downplaying - somehow turning the high numbers into low and claiming it's safe when it's clearly not. It's a free country/world - but common sense is stay out of there while there is outbreak

it's 60% in this outbreak - and it was just under 700 when I spoke to him - the figures were backed up by multiple sources

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...-hard-to-catch

Quote:
The virus takes its name from the Ebola river at Yambuku, in the DRC, where the 1976 outbreak occurred. This was particularly deadly in that the mortality rate was 88%. Most outbreaks have not been quite so lethal, with about 60% being the norm. But for any infection this is staggeringly high. Smallpox rightly engendered fear and panic but in its most lethal form only killed 25%.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article....aNDfRmza.dpuf
Quote:
The CDC says international efforts to combat the disease, which include meticulous tracking of contacts, have been successful—evidenced by the 60 percent mortality rate of this outbreak. To bolster this fight the CDC has deployed a dozen staff members to Africa—five to Guinea, one to Sierra Leone, and six to Liberia. The workers will be rotated out on a 30-day basis.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-07-3...tbreak/5639060
Quote:
As of July 25, 672 people have died out of 1,201 infected (mortality rate of more than 60 per cent).
as for total deaths so far - Reuters puts it YESTERDAY at 729 -:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0G00TG20140801

where are you being wound up into a frenzy from??!?

Old 08-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: MBZ E500
The CDC says that they expect a antidote or vaccine by Sept. This means one of two things, both of them pretty sh1ty.

1. They are full of carp and are trying to calm the masses. or
2. Ebola vaccine was pretty close to ready, or is already done, and we didn't share that with the poorer nations.

We really suck sometimes... imho
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:

as for total deaths so far - Reuters puts it YESTERDAY at 729 -:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0G00TG20140801

where are you being wound up into a frenzy from??!?
Ok, I was wrong about the number deaths. I'm fairly certain I saw a number like 950 in a news article I was reading on Friday but cannot find it now.

Regardless of the number - that doesn't change the argument. I still think it's dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I'll assume you've never studied microbiology, right? Everything you know about pandemics is from Andromeda Strain, or Contagion or World War Z? Yes?

Your comparison is flawed- two different diseases.

Look, if "millions will die' in the USA, HOW COME MILLIONS HAVENT DIED IN AFRICA????????? Why do you expect this to behave differently there?

But 67% or 90% doesnt make much difference in spread rate, which is what the fear is (or should be) about.
No, I didn't study microbiology specifically. That doesn't make me an idiot, or my concerns irrelevant. This is exactly the arrogance that can lead to disaster. What I'm afraid has nothing to do with science but with human error. There have been cases before where highly dangerous virus has contaminated environment from restricted facility.

As to how come millions haven't died in Africa - the answer is kind of obvious. Isolated rural population vs. dense urban environment. If anyone in the US gets infected - the first few days symptoms are like flu - they will keep going to work and infecting people - through sneezing/body fluids etc. It's not difficult to see mass outbreak happen.

And I agree with your last point.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 AM

I never said it wasn't dangerous - I think I have him persuaded to take a tack away from the ebola - cycling instead through Mali and 40 celsius instead of through the countries with ebola outbreaks.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:17 AM
BMW loyalist

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 535 xdrive
I love all the fearmongering and misinformation in here about what would happen if it was introduced here, how fast it would be introduced here, etc. Go look up how this diseases is transmitted. If it was introduced here, control is greatly in our favor. Yes, the doctor was sent to an isolation unit at Emory, but based on how this diseases is transmitted, you don't actually need that in a hospital to test people with it while keeping everyone else safe. Standard hospital protocols in the US are actually strong enough to mitigate spreading it. But please, let's keep it entertaining by tossing conjecture instead of facts out there.

Former rides:
2000 Audi A4 QMT,
2006 BMW 330i titanium silver, black, sport package, 6MT
Old 08-04-2014, 06:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Quote:
Originally Posted by boston535 View Post
I love all the fearmongering and misinformation in here about what would happen if it was introduced here, how fast it would be introduced here, etc. Go look up how this diseases is transmitted. If it was introduced here, control is greatly in our favor. Yes, the doctor was sent to an isolation unit at Emory, but based on how this diseases is transmitted, you don't actually need that in a hospital to test people with it while keeping everyone else safe. Standard hospital protocols in the US are actually strong enough to mitigate spreading it. But please, let's keep it entertaining by tossing conjecture instead of facts out there.
+1. Yes it's deadly but, try dividing 750 - 900 by 20,000,000. Hint, you will need at least five places after the decimal point to get your answer.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:29 AM

and if you need to know - 10 things you really should know about ebola:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ow-about-ebola

Old 08-04-2014, 07:50 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Spike Holmes
Mein Auto: 525i, G35, Subway
Quote:

and if you need to know - 10 things you really should know about ebola:

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and...ow-about-ebola
Thanks wyb.