Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
got a speeding ticket in NYC with a Canadian drivers license !

I have a clean driving record here in Ontario, but back a few months ago got a big speeding ticket in NYC after crossing the border into Buffalo. I had to drive someone to the airport. After about 5 mins after crossing the border, get caught by the cop doing 82 mph on a 55mph zone. Granted, stupid move and I am banging my head for this mistake. I hired an attorney that seemed to be very good from his reviews and he gave me convincing assurity that he can get my case dismissed. Been told the ticket I got had no mercy, its either guilty or dismissal. Well my court date was yesterday and that highly recommended lawyer from internet reviews didn't do much help for me. Now im facing a $178 fine plus $300 drivers assessment BS. NYC courts show no mercy at all.
Now my question is comes on your record once you pay the ticket. I have a Canadian Ontario licence, now wondering if I don't pay the NYC ticket my licence to drive in NYC will be suspended (who cares) but will this suspension come to Canada as well if I dont pay the ticket??? Heard if I don't pay the damn thing, it won't show up here and I am good but only better not drive into NYC.
I don't care if I don't drive in NYC, if I am clean and clear in Ontario.
Any help advice would be apperciated.
Thanks

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 10-18-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: A car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318i_E36 View Post
I have a clean driving record here in Ontario, but back a few months ago got a big speeding ticket in NYC after crossing the border into Buffalo. I had to drive someone to the airport. After about 5 mins after crossing the border, get caught by the cop doing 82 mph on a 55mph zone. Granted, stupid move and I am banging my head for this mistake. I hired an attorney that seemed to be very good from his reviews and he gave me convincing assurity that he can get my case dismissed. Been told the ticket I got had no mercy, its either guilty or dismissal. Well my court date was yesterday and that highly recommended lawyer from internet reviews didn't do much help for me. Now im facing a $178 fine plus $300 drivers assessment BS. NYC courts show no mercy at all.
Now my question is comes on your record once you pay the ticket. I have a Canadian Ontario licence, now wondering if I don't pay the NYC ticket my licence to drive in NYC will be suspended (who cares) but will this suspension come to Canada as well if I dont pay the ticket???
I don't care if I don't drive in NYC, if I am clean and clear in Ontario.
Any help advice would be apperciated.
Thanks

You did the crime now pay the fine! If you can't get it dismissed or pleaded down, you need to pay,it... Seems the time to beat it is passed so pay up.

From da-app

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
New York State has a reciprocal agreement with Ontario and Quebec.

Quote:
Although the United States and Canada operate under different laws and legal systems, both countries share driver information with one another.

This information includes who receives a traffic ticket as well as when and where. In other words, Canada has reciprocity with New York (and vice versa).

This means New York State will transfer notices of conviction to Ontario and Quebec provinces. Once they have this information, they will assess demerit points against your Canadian driving record.
Quote:
Ontario also has reciprocity with New York. According to the Ontario Ministry of Transportation, demerit points will be assessed against you for any traffic violation that you commit in NY that is equivalent to a traffic offense in Ontario.
http://newyorkspeedingfines.com/canadian-drivers/

http://www.insurancehotline.com/cana...et-affect-you/

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-18-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:18 AM

I understand about the agreements between Ontario and NY. However, as in Ontario where they offer a plea bargin, and even cops are pretty easy going here in Ontario often offering a ticket with a lesser charge but with this ticket in NY, no plea bargin whatsoever. Ok, I undrstand I did the crime and I have no problem paying the fines but this damn thing will totally screw me over. Now, since I have been found guilty in the kangaroo court. Should I just not just pay the fine and never drive in NY again? Heard it goes on ontario record, once the ticket is paid. What will happen if I dont pay? All I care is my Ontario license and not something showing up.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
got a speeding ticket in NYC with a Canadian drivers license !

Quote:
I understand about the agreements between Ontario and NY. However, as in Ontario where they offer a plea bargin, and even cops are pretty easy going here in Ontario often offering a ticket with a lesser charge but with this ticket in NY, no plea bargin whatsoever. Ok, I undrstand I did the crime and I have no problem paying the fines but this damn thing will totally screw me over. Now, since I have been found guilty in the kangaroo court. Should I just not just pay the fine and never drive in NY again? Heard it goes on ontario record, once the ticket is paid. What will happen if I dont pay? All I care is my Ontario license and not something showing up.

Kangaroo court? You ADMITTED that you committed the "crime" (speeding). You're just PO'd that the court would not cut you some break, especially when you sent a speeding ticket attorney to represent you before the court, which I'm sure made the court more sympathetic to your case.

It sounds like you've already been adjudicated guilty in NY, so I suspect this is already going on your Ontario driving record. Your decision now is are you going to pay the NY penalty or are you going to have a NY warrant issued for you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 10-19-2014 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:31 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
The cop should have tossed you in jail or pay on the spot, just like the cops in Tijauna.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-19-2014 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2014, 06:21 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Come on man don't be a whinny little ***** just pay the fine. One of the first rules of travel is that you respect and follow the laws of the places you visit.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
I don't think it matters if you pay it or not - for the reporting to Canada. You already know that if you pay, your speeding will get reported.

You can't fight a ticket in NYC. You can't plead down anything. That lawyer you took knows it and they never help with anything. Waste of your money. The only chance you have is to keep postponing it hoping that the cop will not show up or he would lose the ticket by the time the "trial" is happening.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:52 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
I have a clean driving record here in Ontario, but back a few months ago got a big speeding ticket in NYC after crossing the border into Buffalo. I had to drive someone to the airport. After about 5 mins after crossing the border, get caught by the cop doing 82 mph on a 55mph zone.
If you drove from the Canadian border to NYC (New York City) in 5 minutes, the cop must have given you a big break by writing you up for only 82.

(I'd just pay the fine and have the ticket framed. That's what I did with my 90MPH ticket.)
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 10-19-2014, 09:19 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Stop bitching. I got one for 118 in a 55.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speeding Ticket a.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	470720  

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
I have a clean driving record here in Ontario, but back a few months ago got a big speeding ticket in NYC after crossing the border into Buffalo. I had to drive someone to the airport. After about 5 mins after crossing the border,
I dont know how he got to new york city 5 minutes after crossing th canadian border!!!
Old 10-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I dont know how he got to new york city 5 minutes after crossing th canadian border!!!
Haha, it's actually Buffalo, New York. I'm using my iPad so auto-correct gets in the way. As far as the ticket goes, I think since we have a chance to plead guilty, the prosecutor often brings down the ticket one bracket and you can negotiate on dermit points. But I guess, driving in NY is much more stricter and the cops there show less leanency.
This was actually my very first speeding ticket, I kept a good driving record for about 12 years. Oh'well, what's done is done.
Thanks for the help guys !
Old 10-19-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm an agent of chaos

Send a message via AIM to phoenixreborn
Mein Auto: '04 LR Discovery II
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I think he means New York State, there aren't any airports in NYC either.

Quote:
How can you move faster than possible, fight longer than possible without the most powerful impulse of the spirit: the fear of death

Old 10-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Yeah, I know...grew up in NYC

I once hired an atty for a ticket on an appeal- I prepped the whole case, did all the filings- just wanted a local body who knew the court..the guy was so bad that I had to stop him in court and ask the judge if I could take over. I won.

I would not hire one without a personal referral from a trusted source. They just lie, tell you what you want to hear, take your money and say 'tough break'
Old 10-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT

Last edited by Moderato; 10-19-2014 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Please delete post question was already answered, thanks.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm smarter than you're.

Mein Auto: 2015 VW GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
In some jurisdictions that would be classified as "aggravated speeding" and you'd be arrested and your car impounded. How much was the fine? (I looked but didn't see an amount.)
Old 10-19-2014, 12:06 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul335i View Post
In some jurisdictions that would be classified as "aggravated speeding" and you'd be arrested and your car impounded. How much was the fine? (I looked but didn't see an amount.)
Small town Sunday morning speed trap, knew exactly where to hide, around a concrete protected fast turn at the end of a straight away. The only day I could exercise the 911 Turbo. Why would he want to take the time to take me to jail when he can hand out more tickets for the city coffer? His final passing words...slow down, you might get a flat tire.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-19-2014 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:35 PM

About $180 plus $300 in other fees. I wasn't even doing it purposely. I didn't realize my speed and the speed limit. Usually here in Ontario our highway speed limits are around 100km/h, I drive around 120km/hr - 125km/hr which the standard norm on our local highways, where some cops don't care. Anyways, I guess I have to face three years of insurance hikes, and probably more. One thing is, I have started having much more respect for the O.P.P. And our local police. Don't think I will be driving through NY again and would rather have someone drive me or take the plane.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Psychology Reversalist

waze.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:08 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixreborn View Post
I think he means New York State, there aren't any airports in NYC either.
There aren't?

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 10-19-2014, 01:17 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
pay a little more for a flight to german and you can have all the fun you want.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-19-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:12 PM

I wasn't even trying to speed lol, I guess these things happen you least expect but hope it happend here in Ontario, where I could have the charge reduced.
I want to visit the Autobahn.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:45 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
La guardiA is in queens which is technically the city of New York

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 10-19-2014, 02:50 PM
Psychology Reversalist

Waze.