Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Seattle BMW service + Zaino detail?

I am currently 40% through my epic Wild West road trip. 2,500 miles so far and typing from Provo, UT. My destination is Seattle by this Wednesday.

A buddy took me out screwing around Pikes Peak and some 'maintained roads' around Colorado Springs, yesterday. It was GREAT fun! Buuut, long story short, My 2004 X5 4.8is air suspension is now PO'ed at me.

I need four things, actually:
  1. A read and reset of the error codes for the SLS error.
    and
  2. The front trailing arms (or whatever) replaced. They were noted as weak before I started out, but the driving and playing has brought them into greater focus.
  3. An oil service. I have ab 3,000 more miles to cover on this trip, and I'd like to have it fresh.
  4. A Nice Detail. Preferably someone who uses Zaino.

I will be in Seattle until the start of August, so I have time. I am looking for any help from anyone who can squeeze in this work for an out of towner. I am staying Downtown.

Thank you!!

Tumbleweeds happen.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140720_144840 (Small) - Copy.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	452952  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-20-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Well, Thanks everyone for the PMs and help so far. While in Provo, I found an AutoZone and bought a K&N filter cleaning kit. The AFE was caked in dust from our run down the dusty road in pretty heavy traffic. After cleaning, it was *much* better and I could see a lot of light through the paper once cleaned and oiled. The X5 ran *much* better up I-15 and I-83.

Also while there, I mapped Boise, ID as my next stop. That afforded me the choice of a few BMW indy shops. The first one that I called was Boise European. I explained that I would at least like him to scan and reset the codes for the SLS if he could. To entice him some more, I asked if he'd also provide an oil service. Yesterday, I removed the cabin filter in suspect that it, too was probably caked in mess. I asked him to replace it as well.

I could tell rt away that it was the kind of place I like. Sole proprietorship, small shop, the guy that owns it answered the phone and works on the cars. Good people. I arrived and he had everything ready.

So, the oil change is done, and the reset righted the wrongs of my fun in Colorado. We'll see if we get an error on the way to Seattle. I told him also that I was looking for control arms or bushings, or if he'd take a look and tell me what he thought. His assessment was that all is well.

So my dash error is clear. They let me use the wash bay and the detail materials I brought along. They provided a hose and a bucket. After another stop at an AutoZone, I picked up some MF towels, some quick detailer and some cleaner wax for some tree sap I found. I took care of that in the hotel parking lot. We're better, but we still need some lovin to be whole again.

My hope is that the next 3,000 miles home is less eventful. I may still visit a detailer, but the recs here were booked up.

See you in Seattle!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140721_151448 (Small) - Copy.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	453150   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140721_151516 (Small) - Copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	453151  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-21-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
what time frames will you be in Seattle?
We're leaving for Bend, Oregon for several days, soon, not sure if our paths will cross, but I can get you into the Museum of Flight at Boeing field for free ($18 ticket) It's worth 4 hours of your time and they have a decent lunch cafe considering it's a museum.
Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
what time frames will you be in Seattle?
We're leaving for Bend, Oregon for several days, soon, not sure if our paths will cross, but I can get you into the Museum of Flight at Boeing field for free ($18 ticket) It's worth 4 hours of your time and they have a decent lunch cafe considering it's a museum.
I arrive ~9 hours after I get off my tail in Boise. I am headed around the bay though tonight, near Olympia. I will be in downtown starting Wed.

Right now, I don't have a lot to do on Wed. actually, so your kind offer may be something I can accept. I am still looking for a detail guy with a polisher though. If I can find one on the quick, I may do THAT on Wed.

Thanks, B.