Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:39 PM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
Well... That was not a good idea..

Alright so a few weeks ago my car was running low on anti-freeze and not knowing BMW made special anti-freeze, just filled my car full of John Deere tractor anti-freeze. Now a few weeks later the computer is telling me my anti-freeze level is low so I called and found out it takes a special kind. So my question is what should I do? Should I stop driving the car and order some BMW to put in it when the anti-freeze comes? Should I drain it then re-fill it with BMW anti-freeze? Should I continue putting John Deere anti-freeze in it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 01-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Woah. No idea what tractor anti freeze is composed of. Google search?

Anyways, does the 7er have an expantion tank? Might be idea to drain that, then refill, then idle the car. If you did that three times, seems like most of it would be gone?

But yeah, no idea what that stuff would do. If it were mine, I'd get it replaced.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Yah these cars are very sensitive and do require their own antifreeze , what i would do if i was you , would be taking it in for a coolant service by a BMW dealer , $200 bucks they will flush and clean all the contamination ( if there is any ) etc and let you know if there's anything wrong . Just my .2c

Coded, BMS S1 431whp/479wtq 93 Oct /Run Conditions 91*F
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 4434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 01-06-2013, 05:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
You may possibly have a bad coolant level sensor. To my knowledge its just a float in the expansion tank that measure coolant levels. Or you may just be low. My .02
Old 01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
I cant see there being a sensor that detects a special compund or ingredient in the coolant so the car can tell if it bmw or other brand.... if there is tho, jeez..

and if you dont have a leak... then you are low maybe because there is air in the system? and it appeared full but when turned on the air went to the radiator..

My question is why does it keep getting low....

try filling is with distilled water... that way you arent putting the wrong antifreze in and damaging anything.. plus its probably cheaper...

If it is full still then bad sensor seems probable...

or you can just go to the dealer