Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Also look at the Fusion hybrid -- same MPG as the C-Max yet a much more roomy and attractive package. I looked at the C-Max but it was just too small. Nice concept though and much better looking than the Atomic Cockroach Toyota sells. Ford is actually turning out some very interesting stuff. They are borrowing heavily from their European operations again which is good from a driver's standpoint. One nice thing about a domestic is that if it breaks and you are in Buzzard's Roost Nevada, or some such, you can find someone to fix it.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 AM

Mein Auto: 05 545i
Keep it

I really think you should keep it. Have you looked into a extended warranty. I know a lot of credit unions offer them, like Route 66. or you can buy direct. They are cheaper then the BMW warranty and will help offset any repair cost. Also with 57000 miles you really sould be good for while before anything goes, if anything goes. A well maintained BMW can go many many miles with minumim cost.

I've read so many horror stories on these boards, but I've had really good luck with my BMW's. I have a 05 545i with 72000 miles now and it's a dream and it has treated me very well maintenance wise.

Just remember these boards are only a fraction of BMW owners and many owners have well over 100,000 miles with only regular maintence.

I personnaly haven't found another car that drives like a BMW. I also have a 05 Scion tC which has 103300 miles, fun to drive, I use it to commute back and forth to work, but it's no BMW.

Good luck,
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 2.5i
Keep it. We have an '05 with just under 110,000 miles. Yearly maintenance is still lower than the total cost of monthly payments for a newer vehicle.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 AM

Jen, how was the trip to the Ford store? Make any decision yet?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
My 2007 has been great so far. I have 131000 miles on it. As long as you maintain it (change fluids, especially oil every 7500 miles) it should last a long time.

If nervous, get an extended warranty to 100k miles. Then you are safe for 3 years or so based on mileage per year. Just make sure it is a good warranty company.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 325i
I think you don\t really like the X3 so I think you should trade it in. If you like the car, its probably cheaper to keep it until it starts breaking down.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Hi everybody! So sorry I haven't responded sooner, I didn't get any notifications that there have been replies.

I didn't have ford do the trade in estimate because by the time we spoke to someone we were already there a while and I didn't want to be there another hour or so.

Anyway I'm leaning towards keeping my car; I do love the car and what you guys are saying really is true; there's no car out there like a BMW. Ford definitely is doing better but I didn't like the dashboard design of the escape and the fusion looks better on the outside than the inside. I also don't think I can go back to a car. It was strange sitting in the fusion and being so low to the ground.

I inquired about the extended warranty through BMW but they won't give me quotes until I am done with my power train warranty which expires in July. Do you guys think an extended warranty is worth buying? I didn't contact other companies cause I'm not sure which ones are good.

I'm going to get an oil change on 1/21, and I'm going to have the mechanic look my car over and see what he says. But I'm leaning towards keeping the car .
Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb13 View Post
I inquired about the extended warranty through BMW but they won't give me quotes until I am done with my power train warranty which expires in July. Do you guys think an extended warranty is worth buying? I didn't contact other companies cause I'm not sure which ones are good.
I got a quote on an extended warranty from Daniel Dutton at Pacific BMW, search the Ask-A-Dealer forum here at Bimmerfest for contact info. Even though my current warranty doesn't expire until May. He wouldn't sell me the warranty now, but he would quote a price. Worth checking out.

Buying a warranty is buying peace of mind for a price. Since you like to plan, and don't like financial uncertainty, it might make sense for you. Of course you're betting your car goes bad, while BMW is betting it's good. Don't know how disappointed you'll be if you lose the bet, i.e. have a car with no problems, but spent a lot of money on the warranty.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I am also leaning towards keeping mine, I am just going to do a weekend of maintenance when I get home...at 83k miles I am going to do the cooling system including hoses and heater valve (secondary water pump) change fluid in the transfer case (for the 2nd time), tranny and both diffs and reward the X with a shiny new set of conti DWS's. My wife and I decided you just get into a similar vehicle new or CPO'd for less than 40k ish, and we dont want that large or a payment.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Jen, when the wrench looks over the car make sure they check for rear end and transfer case leaks (weeps), the coil springs have a tendency to break at the pig tail, vanos hose leaks, and of course the usual valve cover leaks as well. As these start to age, for some reason they seem to develop seeps that turn into leaks. A differential leak (rear end) will cost $$$! Also be sure to check the brakes and tires for uneven wear. All of this was just found on my '06 X3 with 89K miles! I am looking to move on to another car.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
Sorry to hear about your car UncleJ, thank you for the tips though; I will write these down and have them check it over when I bring it in .

Good luck with your car fivepointnine!

spokelizard-thanks for the tip . I will contact him .