Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Question Question: alignment warranty 2000 miles in all states or is California exempt ?

I have searched online, on this forum plus the manuals and they all pretty much say what ard said in 2012:

"The BMW warranty on alignmnt is only 2000 miles. However, if you get it to the dealer quickly they MIGHT make an exception. The problem is they will gouge you on the alignment up front, say "we'll see what BMW says", and then come back and say 'you're screwed, pays us $300...and about that tire wear, tough"

So I have the 20" summer RFT Dunlops at 700 miles and took the X5 to a dealer near work (not my original selling dealer), and asked them to check the alignment as it was pulling to the right and the wear on the shoulders were uneven.

The SA said that warranty for alignment in California is 500 miles due to the poor roads. But he said he will try to get a good will approval from BMW on my complaint.

So is this true - California is 500 mile alignment warranty while the rest of the country is 2000 miles ??

I remember driving Alaska last summer and they have the roughest roads I have ever travelled on....

So I don't know what the SA is talking about ....

ARD ???
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2013, 05:16 PM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Question: alignment warranty 2000 miles in all states or is California exempt ?

I was told 3k.... I had mine fixed with 300 miles.

Not sure about cali. Seems kind of bogus there are bad roads everywhere.

Cali just has bad drivers...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM
It means bright red

Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Question: alignment warranty 2000 miles in all states or is California exempt ?

The car isn't even broken in yet with 700

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-13-2013, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
The simple thing is, what does your warranty state. If it says 2000 miles, have the SA produce a document that says otherwise. Many people are lazy when they work for someone else. They just spout the company line or what their manager tells them. When you bring documentation, they have a much tougher time pulling your leg.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
The simple thing is, what does your warranty state. If it says 2000 miles, have the SA produce a document that says otherwise. Many people are lazy when they work for someone else. They just spout the company line or what their manager tells them. When you bring documentation, they have a much tougher time pulling your leg.
This.

I like the game called 'stupid or liar?'

Are they stupid and believe there is a 500 mile warranty, even though the document says 2k, or are thei liars and know it really is 2000?

Every state thinks their roads are 'the worse'. NJ, NY, PA, MA..the list goes on.

Just put a yellow sticky in your warranty book and show him, if he disagrees, point out - with some degree of incredulity- that there cannot be some 'secret' plan that only BMW has told him and the management at the dealer, while not sharing that with the end consumer.

Having said this, I have every expectation that you will be expected to pay for the alignment check if indeed there is nothing wrong (ie it meets spec).

GL

A
Old 12-15-2013, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Update:
Received back the X yesterday and the SA said that all 4 wheels needed alignment plus the steering wheel was off center.

So they did put everything back to BMW specs and now rides much better!
Can you believe the camber, caster, toe were all off alignment on all 4 wheels ???

It's true that the X5 comes out of the factory with mis aligned wheels just like others have said.

Thanks all!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Update:
Received back the X yesterday and the SA said that all 4 wheels needed alignment plus the steering wheel was off center.

So they did put everything back to BMW specs and now rides much better!
"BMW Spec" is a HUGE RANGE. You can get 40k miles with the right numbers inside the BMW spec,

or you can get 5k with the car still "in spec"

WHAT DID YOU GET, spec wise? or are you still in the 'dealer knows best, I'll jsut be happy when they make happy noises" phase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Can you believe the camber, caster, toe were all off alignment on all 4 wheels ???

!
Nope, I cannot.

Post the print out showing before and after.