Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)

F12 / F13 (2012 - Current)
The all new 3rd generation 6 series coupe (F13) and convertible (F12) forum. The F06 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe forum is here

Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: '14 BMW M6 & M-B ML63AMG
Advice Request for leasing a 2013 BMW 650i xDrive Coupe

Hello everyone. I have just joined Bimmerfest this week, having been an active member and contributor over the past 6+ years to a number of other auto enthusiast online forums including Xoutpost, MBWorld, Benz World, MBCA and the International 190SL Group. I look forward to participating on various forum topics in Bimmerfest, focusing on the 650xi coupe and sharing my stories and experiences regarding all of my previous BMW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles and learning as much as I can from all of you.

As the lease on our 2011 BMW 335xi coupe ends in late spring 2013, after considering the various options available from M-B, Audi and BMW, I am currently intending on leasing a 2013 BMW 650xi coupe as my daily driver in NJ. I assume that this is probably the best forum to seek advice on this process, which I am planning on doing in late February or sometime in March of this year, but have some flexibility on exactly when. The specific configuration of the 650xi coupe that I want to place a custom order for with a Dealer is as follows, (I have factored in the 2013 price increase for the base vehicle):

Body Color: 354 Titanium Silver Metallic
Trim: 4AS Grey Poplar Wood Trim
Interior: NABY Vermilion Red Exclusive Nappa Leather
Wheels: 19" Light alloy double-spoke wheels, style 351M – with all-season run-flat tires

Options (MSRP / Invoice)

Base Vehicle $89,200 $82,120
ZCW Cold Weather Package $400 $365
ZDA Driver Assistance Package $1,900 $1,730
ZEC Executive Package $4,500 $4,095
ZLP Lighting Package $1,900 $1,730
ZMP M Sport Package $4,400 $4,005
2VA Adaptive Drive $2,500 $2,275
Del Destination & Handling $895 $895
Total = $105,695 $97,215

My initial questions to all of you are:

1. What is the best total sales price (capital cost) that I can expect to successfully negotiate with a BMW Dealer for this vehicle?

2. At this point I am planning on leasing this vehicle through BMW Financial Services, having done that twice before over the past 13 years. My lease will be for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year. What is the current BMWFS money factor and vehicle residual value percentage for this vehicle?

3. I am planning on paying separately to the Dealer at time of vehicle pick up for the BMW Wheel and Tire insurance for the term of the lease, since our roads in the northeast leave much to be desired, especially in the NYC metro region. What is the best deal (price) I can expect for this coverage?

4. Based on your experience, should I just go to the BMW Dealer nearest to my home, that we have leased 4 vehicles from in the past 13 years and give him a "take it or leave it" offer or do a blast email to 3-5 BMW Dealers in my region with my desired sales price for this configuration and see what offers I get? I like convenience and loyalty but if I can save $1K or more it would be worth it…...

5. I understand that in July 2012 BMW announced their new iDrive Navigation System to be referred to as Touch. It has a faster processor, additional video processing capabilities, 250 GB of storage, as well as the new ConnectedDrive navigation system with enhanced usability, reliability and visual appeal, including 3D mapping, split screen guidance. What month in 2013 will BMW start installing this new system into their 6-Series vehicles? (There appears to be some debate about this…....)

6. Are any of you aware of any Mfgr.-to-Dealer or Mfgr.-to-Customer or Dealer-to-Salesperson financial incentive programs that may be in effect during Feb./March? If so, what are they and their respective values?

7. What other, if any advice do any of you have for me for this lease order, based on all of this…...?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, ideas, opinions and answers…...

2014 BMW M6 Coupe (Daily Driver)
2007 M-B ML63 AMG (Vacation & Winter Vehicle)
2013 BMW 335 xDrive Coupe (Wife's Daily Driver)
1961 M-B 190SL (Fair weather weekend treat)
2004 M-B E55 AMG (leased, returned)
2004 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2001 BMW X5 4.4i (leased, returned)
2000 M-B E45 Sport (leased, returned)

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 01-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
See bolded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB-AMG View Post
Hello everyone. I have just joined Bimmerfest this week, having been an active member and contributor over the past 6+ years to a number of other auto enthusiast online forums including Xoutpost, MBWorld, Benz World, MBCA and the International 190SL Group. I look forward to participating on various forum topics in Bimmerfest, focusing on the 650xi coupe and sharing my stories and experiences regarding all of my previous BMW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles and learning as much as I can from all of you.

As the lease on our 2011 BMW 335xi coupe ends in late spring 2013, after considering the various options available from M-B, Audi and BMW, I am currently intending on leasing a 2013 BMW 650xi coupe as my daily driver in NJ. I assume that this is probably the best forum to seek advice on this process, which I am planning on doing in late February or sometime in March of this year, but have some flexibility on exactly when. The specific configuration of the 650xi coupe that I want to place a custom order for with a Dealer is as follows, (I have factored in the 2013 price increase for the base vehicle):

Wheels: 19" Light alloy double-spoke wheels, style 351M – with all-season run-flat tires

Options (MSRP / Invoice)

Total = $105,695 $97,215

1. What is the best total sales price (capital cost) that I can expect to successfully negotiate with a BMW Dealer for this vehicle?

I would look to get AT LEAST a 10% discount on this vehicle.. If you act fast you may be able to take advantage of some of the year end incentives..

2. At this point I am planning on leasing this vehicle through BMW Financial Services, having done that twice before over the past 13 years. My lease will be for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year. What is the current BMWFS money factor and vehicle residual value percentage for this vehicle?

I don't believe the January numbers are available at the moment but per this website ( http://www.ridewithg.com/index.php/2...december-2012/ ) the december numbers were as follows..

2013 BMW 650i Coupe
36 Month – Residual 53% of MSRP – .00125 Base Rate

3. I am planning on paying separately to the Dealer at time of vehicle pick up for the BMW Wheel and Tire insurance for the term of the lease, since our roads in the northeast leave much to be desired, especially in the NYC metro region. What is the best deal (price) I can expect for this coverage?

I forgot the exact price of mine I had it rolled into the payment.. But I do know it was less than $1,300

4. Based on your experience, should I just go to the BMW Dealer nearest to my home, that we have leased 4 vehicles from in the past 13 years and give him a "take it or leave it" offer or do a blast email to 3-5 BMW Dealers in my region with my desired sales price for this configuration and see what offers I get? I like convenience and loyalty but if I can save $1K or more it would be worth it…...

In my opinion the best way to shop for this vehicle is to start with cars.com or autotrader.com whichever you prefer.. Search for cars that fit your specs but at the same time look for cars that have been on sale for sometime.. Cars that have been on the lot for an extended period of time are more likely to to be discounted.. Search dealers within a 500 Mile radius.. You can negotiate a shipping. I did this and my car was shipped to my door for $300.. Total cost was $600 I told the dealer lets split the cost..

5. I understand that in July 2012 BMW announced their new iDrive Navigation System to be referred to as Touch. It has a faster processor, additional video processing capabilities, 250 GB of storage, as well as the new ConnectedDrive navigation system with enhanced usability, reliability and visual appeal, including 3D mapping, split screen guidance. What month in 2013 will BMW start installing this new system into their 6-Series vehicles? (There appears to be some debate about this…....)

Have no idea about this..

6. Are any of you aware of any Mfgr.-to-Dealer or Mfgr.-to-Customer or Dealer-to-Salesperson financial incentive programs that may be in effect during Feb./March? If so, what are they and their respective values?

This sounds like European Delivery.. In the Ask a dealer section of this site you will find more information on that...

7. What other, if any advice do any of you have for me for this lease order, based on all of this…...?

As I mentioned in the previous post.. Use sites like cars.com to find a vehicle within a 500 mile radius.. Give them a call and negotiate over the phone.. If the deal is acceptable they'll have the car at your doorstep within a few days.. The sixer does better in different parts of the country than others. Use that knowledge to your advantage and act fast you still may be able to take advantage of year end incentive.. Good luck...

Old 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:

First of all, welcome! You've selected a great forum to join.

My thoughts on your questions:

1. Depends a lot on incentives, time of year, market, and dealer, but getting right around invoice isn't unheard of, particularly if you include an incentive straight from BMW NA that keeps money in both your pocket and the dealers. Given that I special ordered, that meant that all the dealer had to do was some paperwork and make some calls, so I felt that they had very little risk in the equation and didn't need much over invoice. I put $5000 down with the initial order, so that would cover their efforts and if I suffered brain damage and walked away without the car. I knew my dealer also wanted to sell a 6er given the rarity of these cars in my city/region. I did the math, and I think we were both happy at the end.

2 & 3. I'm useless when it comes to leasing, so I'm gonna pass here. I also didn't do the wheel/tire insurance, so I'll let the others chime in here.

4. I only have one dealer in my city, but there are several less than 1.5 hours away. I liked the CA and GM at my local dealer, so I wanted to give them the business. They wanted the sale, and I wasn't going to play games with them over $500 to $1000. I checked with the next closest dealer, and they were telling me about $2000 more than the other dealer. Figured they weren't going to drop $3000, so I stayed local and with the guys who were professional and knowledgable.

5. No one REALLY knows until someone gets a final order form with that code, but 3/2013 production seems to be the most likely from what I've read. The "touch" isn't coming until Fall 2013 at the earliest, and that isn't necessarily on the 6er. At this point, I'd definitely wait for the new system.

6. Not sure, check bmwusa.com, and they should be pretty easy to find.

7. My only regret is holding back on my build and skipping some options, like B&O, top view camera, etc. I think this is even more true if you lease or finance and divide up the cost rather than writing one check.

Good luck!

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 01-04-2013, 08:48 PM

Thank you - Additional Thoughts

EmM HoLLA and southern6er22:

I thank both of you for your thoughtful and helpful comments.

I think I am going to try for around $1,000 over invoice (equivilent to about 7% off of MSRP), along with any additional BMW sponsored financial incentives. This will give the Dealer what I believe is a fair profit for minimal work effort on their part.

Since I will be placing this vehicle order sometime between late Feb. / early March, I will wait until then to use the car.com and/or autotrader.com to at the very least get the "pulse" of the current market. If that exercise results in an even better deal than what I am aiming for as indicated above, then I just may lease the vehicle through them. From what I have seen online so far, no Dealer has a 650xi configured with the options I want in the color scheme I prefer, so I will be going the special order route.

Alas, I do like to support a local Dealer, if they can give me a deal very close to my goal. That way I have the convenience of proximity for servicing and benefit from access to BMW loaner vehicles when necessary.

If I was ready to do this purchase by the end of Dec. 2012 I could have gotten an excellent deal. BMW USA was offering $3,500 incentive cash for the lease or purchase of a 2013 650 xi Coupe. Towards the end of December, I received emails from two local BMW dealers saying that they (BMW?), would double that $3,500 cash incentive to $7,000 if I signed a lease deal during their special one-day sale and financed the deal through BMWFS. The competition between BMW and Mercedes-Benz for bragging rights as to which company sold more vehicles in 2012 really benefits customers who are ready to buy/lease at that moment! (which unfortunately I was not…..)

From what we have heard from the Federal Reserve over the past several weeks, I am confident that interest rates and hence lease money factors will continue to remain very low over the next 3-5 months.

I will probably be better served to try to do this deal at the end of February, rather than in early March. As a number of Auto Salesmen have told me over the years, if they are close to meeting the minimum sales quota that their Sales Mgr. has set, they may be eligible to receive a cash bonus. If my sale puts them at that number or just over it they may want to put some of that cash into my deal to result in a win-win situation for each of us.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 01-09-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
I paid 899 for my wheel/tire insurance. This was for 36 months, $5,000 max. No limit per wheel or tire. These policies are through third party insurance companies (in my case Zurich) and are not typically negotiable. If your dealership is negotiating on the policy, it's coming from somewhere else.

When it comes to leasing, as you indicated, there are many factors that come into play. Remember that options do not residualize the same as the base price of the car. The dealer and lender have many variables to play with and it can get very complicated.

I have leased many cars over the years and I really don't care about residual, capitalized cost, incentives, MF or any of the other variables that come into play. The point of leasing is cash flow. I work it to a price point - what are you willing to pay for the car you want. Ignoring local sales tax, a $100,000 premium car should lease for around $1090 per month for 15k miles per year with NO money down. Any less is a great deal, a bit more perhaps not so bad, depending on what you specify and are willing to pay. Based on your spec, if you can negotiate to $1160ish (before tax) with no money down, you're doing well.

Again, this is my strategy and just a rule of thumb.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:

Options (MSRP / Invoice)

Total = $105,695 $97,215

I have been doing alot of checking/research into question #5. Short answer is neither BMWNA or ANY dealer will answer the question or look into it. My guess it won't happen until the '14 model year which starts with July production.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2012 650i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I have been doing alot of checking/research into question #5. Short answer is neither BMWNA or ANY dealer will answer the question or look into it. My guess it won't happen until the '14 model year which starts with July production.
On the topic of the new system, this video shows a pretty good overview of the new iDrive graphics - start watching around 14:45 for the iDrive stuff.

650i xDrive Coupe (2012), Carbon Black/Black/Gray Poplar, M Sport, Full LEDs, 20" 373M Wheels, ARS,
HUD, CWP, Premium Sound, Nappa Dash w/ Contrast Stitching, Ceramic Controls, BMW Apps, PCD
http://www.youtube.com/user/Southern6er22
http://southern6er22.blogspot.com/
Old 01-06-2013, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bönz View Post
The point of leasing is cash flow. I work it to a price point - what are you willing to pay for the car you want. Ignoring local sales tax, a $100,000 premium car should lease for around $1090 per month for 15k miles per year with NO money down.
+1....

Also you will always get a better deal for a car sitting on the lot. As mentioned above, find one you like and have your dealer get it for you....
Old 01-09-2013, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 650i x drive retired
PMed

2014 F10 - 550i X drive
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Today, I ordered a 2014 M6 Coupe

Hello Everyone....

Over the past 5+ months considering the pros and cons between leasing a 2013 650 xDrive Coupe or a 2013 M6 Coupe and having test driven both, weighing the significant cost differential between these vehicles, along with the subjective factor of "putting a smile on your face from driving it....", I want to let you know that today I decided to place an order a new 2014 BMW M6.

You can use this link that will direct you to my post for the details of my order and reason why I chose this vehicle.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...17#post7425317

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice, which has been most helpful!

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 03-07-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: fix typos