Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Did BMW cut off my Google Send to Car feature?

I did not pay may subscription to BMW Assist or whatever it's called and was under the impression that Google Send to Car is a free feature, not a part of the paid package.

It has stopped working 2 months after my BMW subscription expired. I've been waiting for a day and no new locations arrived.

Really mad now, is this a paid service???
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
No.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-04-2013, 03:06 PM

So what the hell is going on? Any suggestions?? I need this for work, like crazy.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
I think your answer is "yes" you need an account from what I read - is not clearly spelled out - but reading between the lines it sure sounds like you do...

MyInfo**
Use Google Maps to send point of interest information to your BMW using your e-mail address and your BMW Assist account. Accept the information into your navigation system (if applicable) or have the information displayed in your radio or iDrive display for your convenience while en route to the destination. Call your destination using Bluetooth integration by selecting the displayed telephone number. (BMW Assist account holder e-mail address must be on subscriber agreement to allow MyInfo function to send to your specific vehicle.)

Text from:
http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/navig...mw_assist.html
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM

Yeah... I just found that too... Unbelievable... after spending $60k they want $200 a year for a silly service offered for free by Google??? Unbelievably mad now....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Well, I guess you get other things with the plan too... I actually just renewed my plan - I use the send to car all the time also; and that alone was not worth $200 a year as you state - but I figured the emergency notification thing, having had to use that feature in an onstar equipment car years ago makes it an easy decision for me...

Also in Canada you get a few other services at no extra cost because we cant have google local search as part of our service plan I just learned, as its STILL not available in Canada...

The fee really is needed to pay for the cell plan in the car and the CRTC fees etc I guess so that the car can get the info from the cell network.... if that makes you feel any better about the costs....
Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Yeah thanks bmguy, that makes me feel better, but what else I am getting for the money? I looked at the features and I see nothing beneficial, really.

I just tried SMS-ing an address to the car (Android paired with my BMW) and that does not get recognized by the iDrive office.. Crap. What else can I do other than paying for this? Is there any way to get the address recognized from an SMS or maybe email?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:41 PM

BTW, don't tell me it's free in the USA as my anger would multiply by 5. We already paid 10% more for the car.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:42 PM

well, I haven't tried to to use address from email, but you can from my understanding use a phonebook entry to get nav guidance from..

do you always goto an address thats in your phonebook? if not... I suspect the only way would be to pay the subscription fee...

p.s. be warned that the address book method requires the address is entered in a "perfect" way. I tried it a few times but it was painful so I stopped using that myself.

Last edited by bmguy; 01-04-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM

OK, thanks for the workaround... That might be a pain in the butt in my case, though. I only use these addresses once and then discard them. More money for BMW or back to manual entry, I suppose.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Or pray the voice input for address works for you - I speak perfect english, but yet the voice input system hates me

btw; if you use your car as an expense for work; and get the T2200 tax form and it helps lower the costs by getting you a tax break

Last edited by bmguy; 01-04-2013 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Context error!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Yes, a subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan (the lower of the two service tiers) is required for MyInfo (Google send-to-car) to work. As noted, a good portion of the $199 (US) annual fee covers the cost of the cellular service to the car. At $16.67 per month it's kind of a bargain when you keep that in mind. They're not trying to gouge us; the functions depend on the cellular network and somebody has to pay for that service.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA
Old 01-04-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Yes, a subscription to the BMW Assist Safety Plan (the lower of the two service tiers) is required for MyInfo (Google send-to-car) to work. As noted, a good portion of the $199 (US) annual fee covers the cost of the cellular service to the car. At $16.67 per month it's kind of a bargain when you keep that in mind. They're not trying to gouge us; the functions depend on the cellular network and somebody has to pay for that service.
I think the profit is mostly for the cell company; In Canada we only have one plan which is about the same as the safety plan in the USA and they add a few select features as they don't have BMWs online services in canada...

Another reason for the costs here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...sive-oecd.html

which supports this claim, some text for those that don't want to/cant click through the link
"The average Canadian cellphone user is paying among the highest bills in the developed world, according to a new international study.

Using a comparison package of 780 calls made, 600 text messages and eight multimedia messages sent per year, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development found that Canada has the third-highest wireless rates among developed countries."

So.. as you can see, BMW is making some money, but the cell companies are doing really well for themsleves here in Canada
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
I think the profit is mostly for the cell company ... BMW is making some money, but the cell companies are doing really well for themsleves here in Canada
I suspect it's the same here in the States. You're right, the cell carriers aren't known for their charity--I'm sort of relieved the price isn't even higher, because all BMW has to do is shrug and pass it on, saying "what can we do, it's not our fault."

It would be nice if the next generation of telematics systems could use a customer's paired phone or existing account for these services instead, of built-in hardware. I wonder whether any development work is being done along those lines.

Anyway, obviously it comes down to whether that feature is worth the money to you...if not, I hope the address book workaround covers your need.

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM

OK, I hear you guys and you're right. That does put me at ease somewhat. Otherwise, I'd be like Argh$%^&*

What we need to figure out is what format makes iDrive's nav recognize addresses. Ie. I have free incoming SMSs (and free sending from Google Voice) which get synced with iDrive messages. If Google send to car can be picked up by iDrive Nav as addresses, what format must be used in an SMS to reconginze it too?

There, we have ourselves a task to solve. I'm sure many will run into this soon if not already. Free way of sending addresses to iDrive Nav. It must be possible. I tried plain address and coordinates in plain text to no avail. I'm sure google knows, crap. How do we find out?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
OK, I hear you guys and you're right. That does put me at ease somewhat. Otherwise, I'd be like Argh$%^&*

What we need to figure out is what format makes iDrive's nav recognize addresses. Ie. I have free incoming SMSs (and free sending from Google Voice) which get synced with iDrive messages. If Google send to car can be picked up by iDrive Nav as addresses, what format must be used in an SMS to reconginze it too?

There, we have ourselves a task to solve. I'm sure many will run into this soon if not already. Free way of sending addresses to iDrive Nav. It must be possible. I tried plain address and coordinates in plain text to no avail. I'm sure google knows, crap. How do we find out?
Not as convenient as Google send but it at least provides another (free) alternative.

http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660225&highlight=

JEG23
Old 01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Not true.

The car will always maintain cell connection for diagnostics, remote unlock, etc.

I still maintain this feature is free. At least in the us.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Not true.

The car will always maintain cell connection for diagnostics, remote unlock, etc.

I wanted to confirm a detail - the OP says he canceled his assist account (we only have one kind in canada) - this disables ALL the features;

At least in Canada if you leave your account long enough, and I think its something like 6 months without service - the cell number the car uses reverts back to the pool; and to get assist activated in th future require a visit to the dealer tohave the assist stuff reprograed with a number number.

I had this done on a 2007 m6 I had - I would think that even with US accounts when the are disables and you stop paying the service fee, that all services get suspended?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM

Well, I did not pay and did nothing else to specifically cancel it. Maybe it's the same thing.

BUT, I am experimenting now with adding a Google contact with an address which I'll simply override for each new client. It takes a snap. So far, it's working OK and Nav picks it up!!! I am so relieved....
Old 01-04-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEG23 View Post
Not as convenient as Google send but it at least provides another (free) alternative.

http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660225&highlight=

JEG23
Sweet to have such option but a) my F10 is not coded yet, b) it is a bit of a pain to get KMLs and then USB, imports and all... Not worth the effort for simple one stop destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
well, I haven't tried to to use address from email, but you can from my understanding use a phonebook entry to get nav guidance from..

p.s. be warned that the address book method requires the address is entered in a "perfect" way. I tried it a few times but it was painful so I stopped using that myself.
So, the phonebook did not work for some reason, but simply adding a new Google contact in Gmail synced right away with iDrive Office Contacts and voilla...

Thanks so much! This is a winner and is all I need really. As simple as Google maps, pretty much. I have a standard contact on top of my list which will be overridden each time for a new client in a super easy Gmail interface. Takes a mere minute or less. And it is not that picky with addresses at all... as long as you put Avenue, not Ave, Drive not Dr, etc. It does not even require a postal code which is sweet! Nothing like solving a big problem in no time. Thanks again! Here is my new tool:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nav1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	356001   Click image for larger version

Name:	nav2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	356002   Click image for larger version

Name:	nav3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	356003   Click image for larger version

Name:	nav4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	356004  

LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Use the BMW remote app
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vst335is View Post
Use the BMW remote app
I dont think that will work as that also (again in the Canadian market) requires a Valid BMW assist account, and also uses "send to car function"

I think the use the gmail address book sync is a pretty decent work around;

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
So, the phonebook did not work for some reason, but simply adding a new Google contact in Gmail synced right away with iDrive Office Contacts and voilla...
my mistake, I did mean the address book in your phone, and via office feature also; I just referred to it generically as the address book.

Sounds like you found a workaround that will work for you;

Last edited by bmguy; 01-04-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Yes, much appreciated. This forum is great. I probably would have not guessed that one on my own... seriously. I'd be going around and bitching, all frustrated LOL

And yes, I've figured BMW remote app also uses cell (or is it not satellite really?), and would probably be of no use for me anyway. I am still curious how Needs gets it free in the US though. Maybe BMW USA picks up the cost of their cell connection?

Anyhow, I am good to go. Case closed LOL. Screw BMW Assist and cell providers Long live bluetooth!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Not true.

It is not free (but BMW pays the first four years). From the MyInfo FAQ on the BMW Assist section of the BMW USA web site:
Quote:
What are the requirements to be able to use MyInfo via Google Maps™ (http://maps.google.com)?

If you are driving a 2008 X6 produced 4/08 or later or any 2009 and later BMW Assist-equipped BMW (except X3) and have a valid BMW Assist subscription, you will be able to send and receive the destination and phone number in your vehicle through MyInfo.
No subscription, no service. BMW NA folds the first four years of Safety Plan service into the free-maintenance program (without the mileage limitation of the maintenance plan). After that, it's up to us to renew or all BMW Assist services cease. (Actually, once a credit card is on file renewal is automatic until cancelled.) The terms and conditions of the agreement contract could not be more clear: Paragraph 6, Service Duration:
Quote:
If you elect not to renew this agreement, you will not have access to any of the BMW Assist Services.
Emphasis added. There are no services excluded from that statement; I checked the entire agreement carefully. Remote unlock, TeleService (diagnostics), MyInfo, even stolen vehicle recovery and automatic collision notification are unavailable without a paid subscription.

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-04-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 11 535i + 07 911 Targa 4
Still works fine for me and I don't pay for BMW assist