Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: bmw e46
Exclamation Help with interior light problem

HI i need help if anybody has the answers to fix this problem.... my centre console lights remain on all the time Ie the window switches, heating control panel radio lights etc even when i lock the car at night the inside of the car looks like a christmas tree please has anybody got an idea of what might be wrong oh yea and my dimmer switch only dims the radio light speedo screen and the hazard switch light any ideas why the rest dont dim ???? any advice please its driving me mad

i drive a year 2000 e46 saloon/sedan any help please
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
There are several mechanical relay's in the GM5 and mechanical relay's fail...even on the F15 and F-18- we see it all the time.
The GM5 is used to control a variety of different functions. Here is a list of functions this module controls:
By the way, this is also the list of things that won't work when the GM5 module is removed. The car will run and drive just fine except for the items listed below.
Power window control (up and down control of windows)
Remote entry (locking and unlocking via key fob and central locking button)
Trunk release (via key fob, handle button and interior trunk release button)
Vehicle alarm (siren, tilt & sonar sensors and clown nose light)
Windshield wiper and washer (both front and rear if equipped)
Interior lights

http://www.bmwgm5.com/

Last edited by QAfred; 01-04-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM

all of those listed items dont work except for the winshield wiper my central locking went a few weeks back so does all of these problems point directly at the gm5 module ?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithodinho View Post
all of those listed items dont work except for the winshield wiper my central locking went a few weeks back so does all of these problems point directly at the gm5 module ?
Yep, send it to the man on the link, put some rain-x on your windshield while it is out in case it rains while it is in for repair.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM

and also would that explain why only my radio lights, hazard switch and speedometer work with the dimmer switch
Old 01-04-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithodinho View Post
and also would that explain why only my radio lights, hazard switch and speedometer work with the dimmer switch
yes sir!
Old 01-04-2013, 05:49 PM

thanks very much for your time and opinion and quick response much appreciated i will have the module repaired straight away
Old 01-04-2013, 06:09 PM

sorry to be a pest but is it possible for me to just replace the module with one from a salvage yard rather than heving it repaired ?