Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E36 M3 (1995-1999)

E36 M3 (1995-1999)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Corolla
Wanting to buy a 95 E36 M3

I've always wanted a cheaper good looking car and I feel like I've found the perfect car. I'm hoping buy this one http://www.ultimateautoline.com/1995..._165978182.veh
but my dad is telling me that this is an old car, high mileage, and anyproblems with it will pretty much cost me another couple grands which he doesn't want to pay.

I was just wondering if there are any potential problems if i were to drive this. I will occasionally drive it hard. And if how much would it cost for repairs for each of these problems?

extra info/car fax: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...HistorySection_a_
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: MMM
if you have to ask...

you're coming from an 04 corolla. i'm going to tell you right now buying an older BMW is a commitment of time, energy, and lots of $$$.

To put this in perspective: previous owner of my m3 bought the car new and drove it to 212,000 miles. He took the car into an independent shop (non dealer) for all services after his warranty ran out, and spent approximately $15,000 over the course of 5 years servicing the car (I had them print me all of the receipts). Over the past 40,000 miles, I've put in over $2,000 in parts ALONE (I did all the labor). If I had to bring it into a shop, I wouldve easily spent another $3000 in labor. And I still feel the car needs more work.

The car you're looking at is from an independent dealer that probably has no clue what was done to the car in the past, and may have even purchased the car from auction where the car was not complete. Evidence of this can be seen in the mismatched corner lights and the radio code needing input.

I don't recommend this car (or the e36 m3 in general) to anyone unless they are capable at turning a wrench and would love a little project to work on. Or they have deep pockets and don't mind making the financially inept decision to fund their local mechanic.

Edit more thoughts after looking at pictures:

1. aftermarket european style headlights with slimline angel eyes. Probably owned by an enthusiast before
2. aftermarket silicon coolant hoses - again probably owned by an enthusiast before
3. rear trunk looks misaligned - potentially was in an accident before
4. front kidney grills are aftermarket updated to look like 97+ grills. probably owned by an enthusiast

Enthusiast can be a negative or positive. Up to you to decide.

Last edited by zeddy; 11-30-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: '95 M3
After I bought mine, I spent another 3-4k (can't remember off the top of my head). It's still not to the point of where I want it. A cheap M3 will probably turn into a headache and having you spend more.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Corolla
Thank you so much >.< it turns out i probably wont be buying it anyways... ill just get a job in the future work hard for a better car
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
Oh they aren't all that bad. If you learn how to do things yourself and Bimmerforums.com has some great DIY articles, along with Pelican Parts, you will be fine and you will actually enjoy doing the work yourself as well. My M3 I bought for $6K. After I replaced the suspension (Bilsteins with H&R Sports), bushings (everywhere), VANOS kit from Dr. Vanos, Stewart Water Pump, Borla muffler, belt, fluids, X-brace, Turner Reinforcement Kit front and rear, Fluidyne V3 Aluminum Radiator, clutch fan, B&R Short Throw Kit, etc. my bill came out to $5800. But now, since a lot of the major maintenance is done, I am looking at a good 90K before I have to do it all again, except I will be spending a lot less.

I only did this because I was an idiot. But the M3 is one of my boyhood dream cars. I saved too long for it and now will be waiting to give it some fresh paint, new door cards, and eventually installing my black Vader seats (front and rear).