Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e39 530i 5SP/e60 530i
Battery Light Flickering/ Xmas tree dash lights

A friend and I changed the oil filter housing gasket the other day. The day after, I drove it for about 30 miles and the battery light came on, and a while later, all the dash lights. The radio also turned off as well. I went up a hill and the radio turned back on and the lights disappeared, but the battery light would flicker. The car however drove perfectly fine. (Manual, so didn't go to limp mode)

Tonight I took apart everything again to checked for loose connections, put everything back together, and the battery light seems to still flickr when the engine is revved. The dash lights came on again and the electronics cut off too. The positive cable, behind the alternator, and battery terminals in the trunk are tight as well. After a thorough inspection, I cannot find out whats causing it.

I'm assuming something is loose because they the accessories and radio would go out at certain times and reappear.

Can someone shed some light on this issue?
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 730i, seeking 325 e30
Necessary:
1) Check the voltage battery (engine runs)
2) Read DTC (diagnostic troble codes)
Result write here.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: E39 2002 525iT
Your symptoms may indicate an intermittent malfunctioning of the alternator (brushes making intermittent contact). Hence the flickering battery light. The "X-mas lights" and the radio turning off and back on indicate an onboard undervoltage (around 8 ... 10V) since your battery is discharged by the several electronic circuits in your car but not charged sufficiently.

The same happened to me a few weeks ago while driving. First, the battery light came on and 2 miles later the "X-mas" lights came on, wipers started wiping slower and slower and then the engine just died.

Both my alternator (dead) and battery (weak) needed to be replaced. How old is your battery?
Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
- Complete DIY for how to test a BMW battery & alternator (1)