Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
So right now he has proved with pics that his car has rediculous subs and tv. But nothing about the turbo. Iceman I don't care if your engine is in pieces right now just take a pic of the engine with the turbo partly installed

Resident Grammar and Spelling expert

Last edited by hh3uunp; 01-23-2013 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1999 540i
The turbo is not installed yet. But heres the update. There is NO pre made turbo kit installed so everything has to be custom made. Doing basic maintenance at the moment. Valley pan gasket, oil pan or some ****. Hes doing all the gaskets now. The turbo is going to be a mid mount turbo. Itll be mounted in that hump where the cats are and Were going to build a shield around it so it doesnt get damaged. The intake for it will be tough but it needs to be run up to the top so i dont get flooded when it rains. The hardest part about this project is the custom tune, finding a computer that works with it. The good news is it came in along with all the piping. Just waiting on the turbo itself, the new MAF since mines shot, seals come in same day. First pics i get of car being touched will be posted. Every small leak needs to be fixed. Because if i throw some forced induction on it small leak wont be so small anymore. Excited for adjustable boost. Estimated finish time will be a week or a week or a little over a week. Ill post pics of everything that happens every step.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:15 AM

Good evening everyone. The turbo project will be about complete by this week. Here are some pictures to whats been going on. All gaskets in engine have been replaced. Dont have pics of every single one but youll get the point. Blacked out the valve covers did some piping and installed the turbo. Now waiting on the rest of the exhaust, injectors, pumps and electrical crap. The hard parts are finished.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 AM

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=6 THESE ARE THE 4 12s in the trunk. Un wrapped to show you guys once beauty board is on itll only look like 2. now its 2 up top 2 straight forward ported through the metal through the arm rest.

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=5 Fixing valley pan gasket

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=4 Painting the covers that were chipped gold

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=3 Installed

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=2 valley pan finished

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0 Intercooler

http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0 and finally, my mid mounted turbo

Still a lot of work to do but ill have adjustable boost in no time. Cant wait till its done. Whats everyone think?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
looking good but wish pics were bigger.

Last edited by thecushion; 02-20-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Im sorry about that bud my cameras arent very good. People all over didnt think it was possible or whatever like mister h3unp over here. But it is doable and i wanted to show everyone that it was. There was more but have had problems uploading. Still new to that. But for all of you that said its impossible there it is. Soon to have adjustable boost to blow over 460 horsepower. Ill have more coming soon. Im surprised nobody else commented on it.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:11 PM
Ball Don't lie

Mein Auto: 2001 Dinan m5
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman4169 View Post
Im sorry about that bud my cameras arent very good. People all over didnt think it was possible or whatever like mister h3unp over here. But it is doable and i wanted to show everyone that it was. There was more but have had problems uploading. Still new to that. But for all of you that said its impossible there it is. Soon to have adjustable boost to blow over 460 horsepower. Ill have more coming soon. Im surprised nobody else commented on it.
This is such a waste of money. Your tranny isnt designed to handle that amount of power. Plus your car doesn't have LSD or bigger brakes. The steering m5 vs 540i is completely different m5 steering is so light and smooth. In a 540i you have to wrestle the wheel. Your handling won't be close to a m5. No m5 goodies(quad exhaust, m5 bumper, mirrors, sills, impact strips, m5 cluster, extended leather, alcantara headliner, navigation, premium sound system, m5 steering wheel, m5 sway bars)

But other than that good job
Resident Grammar and Spelling expert
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM

Then ill swap the tranny if i need to. As far as i know im the only one that has a turbo 540i. Because I created the fabrication for it. And got the custom computer for it plus tune what makes you think i cant put quad exhaust? as far as custom sound goes i have a tv in my deck that has navigation in it and a sound system that will rip your head open while being as clean as they come. I worked at a body shop for years doing custom cosmetics i can put anything on a car and make it look like a ferrari if i wanted to. But as for now i like how it looks. Nice and clean. Brakes havent decided on but i found better rims to throw on as well (also bmw) Im not comparing it to an m5 even though when the project is finished id probably blow one out of the water. This is my project and i enjoy working on it. I wanted to prove its possible to do it and its being done. I love the way my car handles if i didnt i wouldnt have bought one. I want this to be a positive thread. Seems like you have nothing but negative to say bud.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
Any updates yet?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM

Not yet sorry the shop is closed on the weekends tomorrow evening i should have something up. Cant wait to drive this thing havent had it for a month. Updates soon.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:06 PM

People werent kidding when they said its impossible to turbo one. It isnt impossible. But it sure wasnt easy. Had to trim some bumper and get a smaller fan to fit the radiator in. Had do do some mad piping work on it. Just nuts. Between the piping, the computer work, and the custom fabrication its been rough. But the product should be awesome.