Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
New 1er owner with a quick Q

I've owned an E46 for some time but had to find something new recently on account of a deer jumping out in front of me while I was going 60 mph. Long story short, I picked up an '09 CPO 128 last week. Love the car aside from a few small gripes.
1. Run flat tires are the bain of my existence, but that's an easy fix.
2. "Drive off assistant." The feature that holds the brakes while you're stopped on a hill to keep the car from rolling before you can release the clutch. This is probably a moot point to most drivers but I'm a long time stick shift driver and an admitted purest when it comes to certain things. More specifically, it bothers me when electronics "dumb down" the car and make it easier not to eff things up (stability control is another gripe of mine, but that's easy to turn off). Is there any was to disable this horrible "feature?" It's driving me nuts!!
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
2. "Drive off assistant." The feature that holds the brakes while you're stopped on a hill to keep the car from rolling before you can release the clutch. This is probably a moot point to most drivers but I'm a long time stick shift driver and an admitted purest when it comes to certain things. More specifically, it bothers me when electronics "dumb down" the car and make it easier not to eff things up (stability control is another gripe of mine, but that's easy to turn off). Is there any was to disable this horrible "feature?" It's driving me nuts!!
When I got my '08 128i in '08, I also didn't care for the drive off assistant. But after 4 years with it, 2 years with my MT '07 328i wagon and a few days with a new Boxster, I don't even think about it. You'll get used to it soon enough.

The thing that bothers me more on the 128i/328i is the absence of any temperature gauge. While I remember that the water temp gauge on my '99 E46 was so heavily buffered as to be irtually an idiot light, it did give the driver a sense of when the motor was up to operating temperature. The work around for the 128i is to periodically check the oil level through the OBC and when a reading is given, the engine is warm enough to have some fun.

Enjoy your new 128i!

Tom
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
You'll get used to it soon enough.
Tom
This reminds me of when I was visiting Australia a number of years ago. Every time I asked a local if they actually liked Vegemite they invariably had the same response. In other words, it's crap but you'll deal with it.

Seriously though, I extremely skeptical about your prediction. This system works great but it really isn't for me. Nothing drives me more crazy than "dumbing down" an otherwise pleasant drive. This is precisely the same reason i bought a stick shift in the first place. Please! Somebody tell me it can be disabled.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
When I got my '08 128i in '08, I also didn't care for the drive off assistant. But after 4 years with it, 2 years with my MT '07 328i wagon and a few days with a new Boxster, I don't even think about it. You'll get used to it soon enough.

The thing that bothers me more on the 128i/328i is the absence of any temperature gauge. While I remember that the water temp gauge on my '99 E46 was so heavily buffered as to be irtually an idiot light, it did give the driver a sense of when the motor was up to operating temperature. The work around for the 128i is to periodically check the oil level through the OBC and when a reading is given, the engine is warm enough to have some fun.

Enjoy your new 128i!

Tom
good info to know here

Sent from my XT557 using Bimmer App