Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 07-23-2014, 03:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
Ordering 2015 X3- any input/advice appreciated!~

Hi everyone,

I currently drive a 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT that I love, but driving a 3-row/7-seat CUV just doesn't make sense for me anymore. When I bought it I had custody of my 2-year nephew and 6-year old niece, but now they're back with my little sister and her husband and I'm a single guy driving a BIG vehicle!

So I've been thinking about trading it for a smaller, premium CUV (or SAV in BMW terminology). My original list of possibilities was very short- the Acura RDX, BMW X3 and Volvo XC60. I spent time behind the wheel of all three and the X3 was easily the winner! =) I started looking for one with the color combo and options I want and two months later I still haven't found one anywhere in the Southeast that meets my specs! My best friend and I took a tour of the BMW Factory in Spartanburg, SC two days ago (Monday). We toured the building where the X3 and new X4 are assembled and I was very impressed. I've decided to order exactly what I want and I plan to choose Performance Center Delivery which is adjacent to the Spartanburg plant. I still order thru my local dealer, but that's it.

I've driven the X3 sDrive28i, xDrive28i and even the xDrive28d but not the xDrive35i. I want an all-wheel-drive (xDrive) but the diesel didn't have quite enough punch for me. I was looking for the xDrive28i when I was searching for one to buy at a dealer, but that was just because they have a lot more of the 28i than the 35i models in stock. Equipped the way I plan to order it, the xDrive28i stickers for $49,275 and the xDrive35i is only $2800 more at $52,075.

Is the 300hp I-6 worth the price difference compared to the 240hp I-4? Are there any maintenance or long-term reliability issues with the I-6 that might make me reconsider?

Here's what I'm planning to order-

2015 BMW X3 xDrive35i
xLine
Alpine White
Mocha Nevada Leather w/ orange contrast stitching
Burl Walnut Wood Trim w/ chrome accent

Driver Assistance Package (Rearview Camera and F/R Parking Distance Control)
Premium Package (Leather upgrade, Comfort Access keyless, Lumbar support, Sat radio)
Heated front seats
Harmon Kardon surround sound system

The total with destination charge is $52,075. I really would like to have the Active Blind Spot Detection (which I have on my CX-9 and find it very useful), but the only way to get it is in the $1900 Driver Assistance Plus Package and I can't bring myself to pay that much for it. The X3 is much smaller than CX-9 so blind spots shouldn't be much of a problem anyway.

Any thoughts, suggestions or input regarding that configuration? I'm planning to visit the dealer Friday evening to place my order, pay a $1k deposit and see what they'll give me for my trade-in. Carmax offered me $24,200 for my CX-9 a few weeks ago, so I'm expecting at least $24k from the bMW dealer. Luckily it is paid off, so the full $24k will go toward the price of the X3 and I will only need to finance about $30k!

I'm really excited about joining the Bimmer club, so to speak!
Advertisement
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 xDrive28d
According to Consumer Reports, for some recent years the 28 has been a little more reliable than the 35. Of course, your mileage may vary. Luck of the draw. How you maintain/service your vehicle.

For a given acceleration you will be pushing the engine in the 35 less hard.

Of course, since I went with the 28d, I have the least accel of the bunch. Less than what I'm used to in my car, much better than what I had in my pickup I sold earlier in the year. But I wanted better mileage, with uncertainty in fuel costs over the next 7-10 years.

With your selected options, even the 35 is less than what I paid, since I also wanted the HUD and the top view camera.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
My advise would be to test drive the X3 35i, its a totally difference SUV compare to the 28i. The acceleration in the 35i is world class and reliability wise, the 6 cylinder engine have been around much longer than the 4 banger.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Be aware that you will have two gating factors that will effect when you receive your X3. The first is when your dealer has an allocated build slot available that they will assign to your car. If the date is months away then you may want to consider buying from a different dealer who may have an earlier slot available.

The second is when, after the build date, the Performance Center has a delivery slot available. The dealer can give you an answer on the build slot. Determining the PCD date may take some time.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
The X3 is an impressive vehicle. I have found My X3 M Sport 3.5 to be exceptionally fun and versatile.

There are three critical options that are truly transformational – 35i, M Sport and DHP. These options have the effect of turning the X3 into a stellar performer. Remarkably the X3 M Sport 3.5 is as fast as a Porsche Cayenne GTS – impressive. The exhaust note excites, the steering is communicative and the seats are not only comfy but supportive. I feel the spiritual connection between my M3 and my X3 35i M Sport – In short, the X3 35i M Sport is the BMW of SAVs.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
The X3 is an impressive vehicle. I have found My X3 M Sport 3.5 to be exceptionally fun and versatile.

There are three critical options that are truly transformational – 35i, M Sport and DHP. These options have the effect of turning the X3 into a stellar performer. Remarkably the X3 M Sport 3.5 is as fast as a Porsche Cayenne GTS – impressive. The exhaust note excites, the steering is communicative and the seats are not only comfy but supportive. I feel the spiritual connection between my M3 and my X3 35i M Sport – In short, the X3 35i M Sport is the BMW of SAVs.
Having owned this combination previously, I have to agree 100000% with this statement.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 PM

Unexpected surprise but a good one!

I couldn't wait until Friday, so I went to the BMW dealer yesterday afternoon to discuss ordering an X3. I was stunned to learn that it would take 4-5 months for it to arrive at a dealership and another couple of months if I wanted to wait for Performance Center Delivery! I suppose it was all the more frustrating since I toured the factory where it would be built earlier this week and it's only a few hours away. I know that's not rational, but I had no idea that the process could take so long.

The dealer had an X3 xDrive35i that had all the features I wanted but it was Mineral White Metallic instead of Alpine White. In addition to the features I wanted, it also had the Cold Weather Package (instead of just the Heated Seats option), Lighting Package (Adaptive Full LED lights & automatic high beams) and Technology Package (Navigation, HUD). The sticker price was $58,125, which was $6,050 more than the one I wanted to order and I knew I wouldn't be happy with the Mineral White because I wanted the Alpine White. I 'settled' for Pearl White instead of Silver on my current Mazda CX-9 and got a killer deal, but the color has never grown on me.

I really like the sales consultant that has helped me in the past when I test drove the X3 xDrive28i and 28d. She assisted me yesterday also. After I drove the Mineral White xDrive35i, she could tell that the color was the deal-breaker. She asked how important all-wheel-drive was to me and I told her that it wasn't a necessity if the color combo and features were right. She told me that she had an idea and needed to speak with her manager for a few moments.

The General Manager had been driving an inventory vehicle for a month or so that had been sitting for a while unsold. It was Alpine White with Mocha interior and had all the features I wanted and then some, but it was rear-wheel-drive. It had 1400 miles on it but was still new (never titled) and I finally got her to tell me that it had been on the lot for over 10 months. The only catch is not an X3, it's a 2014 X5 sDrive35i!

I drove it and LOVED it! The sticker price is $64,025 but given the mileage and lengthy time in inventory, I made a firm offer of $57,500 plus tag/title and 6.75% Georgia TAVT (our version of sales tax). The lowest they would go is $59,500 and, after thanking them for their time, I declined and told them to give me a call if they changed their mind before I purchased or ordered something else. They called this afternoon and said they could do $58,000 plus they could give me $25,000 for my 2012 CX-9 trade ($500 more than I really expected), so I accepted contingent upon being approved for 3.13% APR financing from BMW Financial for 72 months. They got the approval this evening and sent me the Sales Contract detailing all the numbers! Since I own my trade, I'm only going to be financing $35,293.50 including TT&T.

They're going to detail it tomorrow and I plan to take delivery tomorrow evening!!! =)

I still the love the X3 but I love the X5 just as much but never thought I could afford one. I'm very impressed with the X5 and some of the cool features that this one has.

Here are the details-

2014 BMW X5 sDrive35i
Alpine White
Mocha Nappa Leather
Fineline Oak Wood Trim

LUXURY Line
Premium Package- (Leather, Soft-Close Automatic Doors, Sat Radio, Comfort Access Keyless Entry)
Mocha Interior Design Package- upgrades from Dakota Leather to Mocha Nappa Leather with Nut Brown contrast stitching
Luxury Seating Package- Ventilated Front Seats, 20-way multi-contour front seats with power adjustments for shoulders, thighs, backrest width, lumbar and manual headrest angle adjustment
20" Y-spoke Alloy Wheels (Style 451) with P275/40R20 front & P315/35R20 rear tires
harmon/kardon Surround Sound System
Rear-View Camera

The Nappa Leather and Multi-contour 20-way seats are beyond amazing and the color (Mocha) is gorgeous! The ventilated front seats are also very nice for Georgia weather.

I also fell in love with the 20" Y-spoke wheels. They had several new X5s on the lot with the standard wheels (not Luxury/xLine/Sport Line) and it was amazing how much they changed the look! They wouldn't have looked out of place in a rental fleet, to be honest. But they wheels in all three of the "Lines" looks fantastic.

So it looks like a new X5 owner even though I was shopping for an X3! =)

Last edited by IgoZoom; 07-24-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 AM

IgoZoom, Wow, can someone say hook, line and sinker? The dealer wanted to sell you what they had on the lot, that's why they said 7 months for performance center delivery. Some people have gotten delivery in less than 2 months. Your dealer was not very honest, they wanted to get rid of a car that has been sitting on the lot for 10 months and losing money by the day because they have to pay interest for it. Maybe the sales lady had nice legs or something, but you should have seen this coming. Dealers always try very hard to get rid of old stock first, they don't like to order cars. Just to add salt to the wound You paid way too much for a demo car. The invoice on your X5 is $58,800, you paid $800 below invoice for a demo car when most people are getting $4000 to $5000 under invoice for a demo. Chalk it up to experience I guess, at least you got good value for your trade in.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
IgoZoom, Wow, can someone say hook, line and sinker? The dealer wanted to sell you what they had on the lot, that's why they said 7 months for performance center delivery. Some people have gotten delivery in less than 2 months. Your dealer was not very honest, they wanted to get rid of a car that has been sitting on the lot for 10 months and losing money by the day because they have to pay interest for it. Maybe the sales lady had nice legs or something, but you should have seen this coming. Dealers always try very hard to get rid of old stock first, they don't like to order cars. Just to add salt to the wound You paid way too much for a demo car. The invoice on your X5 is $58,800, you paid $800 below invoice for a demo car when most people are getting $4000 to $5000 under invoice for a demo. Chalk it up to experience I guess, at least you got good value for your trade in.
Sage advice right here. If you are willing to get a demo car, be sure it's far below invoice... far, far below invoice.

I would have laughed in their face @ $800 under invoice for a demo.

And 7 months for PCD? Does that include them doing a PCD, accidently shipping the car to Siberia, and then having it carried back to the US by huskies through Alaska?
Old 07-29-2014, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Wow, some of you guys are brutal.

IgoZoom: congrats on your new ride!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:23 PM

Well my friends, it seems that I dodged a bullet, so to speak! I avoided paying too much for a ‘demo’ AND I avoided doing business with a dealership whose Sales & General Managers were both total d-bags!

I was planning to take delivery of the X5 last Friday evening, but nasty weather (thunderstorms) caused me to reschedule for Saturday morning. When I drove the X5 it had some brake dust on the wheels and after being washed and detailed, I noticed some minor damage to the right rear wheel. The Sales Manager said they could have it repaired early this week, but on a $58k vehicle I didn’t want “repaired”- I insisted on a NEW wheel! He argued that the wheel listed for over $900 and I basically told him I didn’t care.

I decided to give the X5 one more very thorough review before I signed on the dotted line. Meanwhile the Sales Manager and GM were both giving me the cold shoulder and I could tell that my salesperson was getting nervous that she might lose the sale. I was expected the BMW purchasing experience to at least be on-par with my past experience with Acura dealers or with my ex’s Lexus when I’d take it in for service or repair…but nothing felt special or ‘premium’ about the experience I was having at this particular BMW dealership! =(

I found a few other imperfections including a scuff on the corner of the front bumper, a paint chip at the bottom of the tailgate (appeared to have hit a garage door or something) and a few scratches/blemishes on the Mocha Nappa Leather (which was a $1950 option in addition to requiring the Premium Package AND the Multi-contour seats or Luxury Seating Package). It made me think twice about getting the Nappa Leather instead of the (allegedly) more durable Dakota Leather. But the more substantial issue was the growing feeling in my gut that I didn’t want to pay $58k for a new BMW X5 with several cosmetic issues (no matter how minor or easily repaired). And most of all, I really didn’t want to do business with these people!

I tried to be a gentleman but the moment that I told them I was having second thoughts and that I would NOT be buying the vehicle that day, the situation turned ugly. The GM made a comment about how they were already paying me way too much for my trade-in and even made a few insulting remarks about me driving a “Mazda”! It may not be a BMW, but it did sticker for $41k when it was new in 2012 and even after 28k miles it was in better condition than the new X5 they were trying to sell me!

It took all the self-control I could muster, but I refrained from losing my temper (for the moment) and kept my language PG-13 rated! At that point, I mentioned that several forum members on a few BMW owner/enthusiast sites told me that the 4-5 month order period and up to 7-months for Performance Center Delivery were total B.S. I also mentioned that $800 under invoice didn’t seem like such a great deal for a “demo”….especially a “demo” that wasn’t in perfect condition.

That was when I decided to start walking away and either the Sales Manager or GM (or both) made some very rude comments as I walked away. They thanked me for wasting their time and said they probably should have pulled a credit report before letting me test drive to see if I was a dead-beat!!! (Meanwhile, I’m trading in a $25k vehicle that is only 20 months old and paid off!)

I had all I could take and I had to do something as I left. So when I backed out the parking spot, I hit the button to turn off the Traction Control on my CX-9 and showed them what my lowly Mazda could do with a p!ssed-off driver behind the wheel! I know it was a juvenile thing to do, but at least I didn’t swerve at them!!!

I immediately called my best friend to tell him what happened and he wanted to meet for lunch and hear all about it. So I agreed, chewed up two Valium (‘calmatives’ as my mom calls them) and hung out for a few hours venting to him about the experience. I was ready to call it quits and take it as a sign to just keep my CX-9 for now, but he convinced me to ride around to a few other dealers to see if I might still find “the one”.

I originally started out wanting an X3 and I really liked the Volvo XC60 also. The 2015.5 XC60s were just starting to arrive at dealers and none had the Hazel Brown & Black Leather interior (new for 2015.5) that I wanted to see when I started the shopping process. As luck would have it, the Volvo dealer had just received a 2015.5 XC60 T6 Drive-E Platinum late last week in Ice White w/ Brown & Black two-tone leather. It had a 302hp Supercharged & Turbocharged 2.0L 4-cylinder & 8-speed automatic, 20” wheels, Sport seats, harmon/kardon premium audio, Navigation, Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) Active Dual-Xenon headlights w/ auto-high beams and even Collision Warning w/ Full Auto-Brake. It stickered for $49,525 and I went back on Monday (yesterday) and bought it for $45,500 plus TT&T. It also has 5yr/50k miles Warranty, Maintenance & Wear & Tear (brakes, rotors, wipers, excludes tires).

I’m very happy so far, although a little bummed that it’s not the BMW I’ve dreamed of owning for years…maybe next time! As much as I like the Volvo, I’ll probably be ready to trade as the 50k warranty expiration starts closing in. =)
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 AM

IgoZoom, that was probably the best scenario for you. That BMW dealer was trying to take advantage of you and when you walk away from a bad deal, they got angry. Although instead of burning rubber, I would fight back thru the the media. Go on facebook and dealerrater.com and write about your bad experience so others can avoid it. Congrats on the Volvo, but I cannot help to feel that it was rebound car for you. Kind of like a bad breakup with your girl friend and you date the first girl you see after that.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Igozoom- congrats on the new car. With the 5yr 50k miles. It's hard to beat! As long as you are happy with the outcome that's all that matters! Some words here were harsh but it does look like you did learn from the experience and moved on.

Happy motoring!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-30-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Some words here were harsh but it does look like you did learn from the experience and moved on.

I just want to point out that those harsh words save this man from a $55000 mistake.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Quote:
I just want to point out that those harsh words save this man from a $55000 mistake.

X Men is a wise man

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
X Men is a wise man

LOL, not according to my wife. Seriously, I could have word it a bit better, but I hate high end car dealers that act like used car dealers. I was trying to keep him from being taken advantage of.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
LOL, not according to my wife. Seriously, I could have word it a bit better, but I hate high end car dealers that act like used car dealers. I was trying to keep him from being taken advantage of.
And I thank you for it! My ego/pride was a little wounded when I initially read it. My grandfather was co-owner of a Ford dealership and he taught me how to haggle and never let a dealer/salesperson take advantage of me! I researched pricing on a used 2014 X5 sDrive35i with 1300 miles and based the price of $58k on that (KBB and Edmunds both priced it over $60k non-CPO).

I also made sure that I got a good price for my trade-in and that I got the best finance rate currently available. So I thought I had my bases covered....but I've never bought a "demo" before nor have I bought anything more "premium/luxury" than an Acura! But the amount of time that it had sat on the lot should have been more of a red flag than it was...I was a little "star-struck" by the X5, I suppose.

I have a cousin that I usually call when I'm on the verge of making a big decision (financial or otherwise) and he knows by the tone of my voice that I'm calling for him to talk me out of it. His blunt response is, "What stupid-@ss thing are you thinking about doing so I can stop you...." and your choice of words weren't nearly as harsh (or loud) as his!

So, thanks for your harsh words!

BTW, I couldn't agree with you more about luxury/premium dealers acting like sleazy used car salesmen! Perhaps they read this article- "Being Rude Might Actually Boost Sales in Luxury Retail"
Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 PM

IgoZoom, all I did was post my opinion. The words I use might be a bit harsh, but that was just to get your attention, it is by no mean an attack on you personally.
KBB and Edmunds used car value are always high, especially for nearly new cars. As a quick rule of thumb, a car will lose between 15% and 20% of its value during the first year. Stories like yours reminds me of the reality that these car salesman are only nice to us because of the money.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Stories like yours reminds me of the reality that these car salesman are only nice to us because of the money.
Kinda like hookers!
Old 07-30-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgoZoom View Post
Kinda like hookers!
And my teenage son
Old 08-31-2014, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi
2015 BMW X3 xDrive35i
xLine
Alpine White
Mocha Nevada Leather w/ orange contrast stitching
Burl Walnut Wood Trim w/ chrome accent

Driver Assistance Package (Rearview Camera and F/R Parking Distance Control)
Premium Package (Leather upgrade, Comfort Access keyless, Lumbar support, Sat radio)
Heated front seats
Harmon Kardon surround sound system

Consider this-->>>
You can roll optional packages into the financed balance and its monthly impact will seem minor compared to the joy ( and lack of buyer's remorse) for not adding 1) Dynamic handling package 2) Navigation alone or part of Technology package that includes head-up display.

I minimized the value of DHP and wish I had it.