Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-09-2013, 04:16 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
I just went to see the car and talk to the adjuster - both rails are bent, and from the looks of it the engine will have to come off to straighten them.
I looked over the estimate on-line and saw that the hood, kidney grills and the driver side fog light are not OEM - I asked about it the adjuster and he said that they source available parts, and if it does not provide OEM fit and finish they will look for OEM.
Well, now it's going to be in the shop for at least 2 weeks - question to people who have leased their cars and went through a similar situation, if the car is in the shop for a prolonged period should you be re-imbursed the lease payment accounted for the time you didn't have your car?
I will ask my insurer about this tomorrow.
Will keep you updated.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335 6MT 'vert
I had a similar accident to you where someone made a left in front of me. Most of my impact was on the front passenger side. My frame rails were bent too. My body shop used new oem parts for structural (bumper reinforcement, rad mount, fender, etc), and used refurbished oem parts (they bought an oem front clip from a salvage yard, cleaned/painted, etc then swapped the bumper cover, fog lights, headlights, etc. over). The rest of the parts were aftermarket for items which did not matter.

Check your insurance policy and see what they cover for repairs. Some insurance policies wont pay for oem or oem refurbished. Also check your lease policy and see that that the car gets repaired to whatever the policy states otherwise you could end up paying when you return it. At least you leased it so you are not stuck to it

Last edited by unrealii; 01-09-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

I will my dealer tomorrow to clarify the use of the aftermarket parts. The insurance states that it will honor the repairs to OEM specification and also provide warranty on all repairs on the claim and I will not face the issues at the lease return.
All other parts including the bumper reinforcement are OEM as stated on my repair estimate.

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-09-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealii View Post
I had a similar accident to you where someone made a left in front of me. Most of my impact was on the front passenger side. My frame rails were bent too. My body shop used new oem parts for structural (bumper reinforcement, rad mount, fender, etc), and used refurbished oem parts (they bought an oem front clip from a salvage yard, cleaned/painted, etc then swapped the bumper cover, fog lights, headlights, etc. over). The rest of the parts were aftermarket for items which did not matter.

Check your insurance policy and see what they cover for repairs. Some insurance policies wont pay for oem or oem refurbished. Also check your lease policy and see that that the car gets repaired to whatever the policy states otherwise you could end up paying when you return it. At least you leased it so you are not stuck to it
Such a PITA dealing with insurance companies. I must be missing something. OP - if the other party is the one at fault, don't let their insurance company dick around and nickel and dime you on costs. Your car needs to be returned to the condition it was in immediately prior to the accident. One other item - diminished value. If the lease is with BMWFS, they provide coverage for diminished value, you just need to co-ordinate with them on the accident. Any other leasing company, and you are kind of on your own.

Insurance companies are the scourge of the Earth. AIG gets bailed out to the tune of $186 BILLION and they even consider suing for unfair bailout terms? F*CK them all!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Such a PITA dealing with insurance companies. I must be missing something. OP - if the other party is the one at fault, don't let their insurance company dick around and nickel and dime you on costs. Your car needs to be returned to the condition it was in immediately prior to the accident. One other item - diminished value. If the lease is with BMWFS, they provide coverage for diminished value, you just need to co-ordinate with them on the accident. Any other leasing company, and you are kind of on your own.

Insurance companies are the scourge of the Earth. AIG gets bailed out to the tune of $186 BILLION and they even consider suing for unfair bailout terms? F*CK them all!
That's one of the reason I went with my insurance company and rather them fight the fight.
Yes I am on the hook for my deductible but my insurance company is going into litigation with the at fault insurance company - my case has been declared no fault to me. So now it's wait and hope they repair the car soon and get my deductible back and all the expenses I incurred - tow from the scene of the accident, additional charges on the rental (you can't even rent anything for $30/day let alone anything that compares to my car, so yeah driving a focus now lol).
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

I need a bit of help from bimmerfest enthusiasts.
I called BMWFS to ask about my responsibility regarding the accident and I was told that I need to forward the itemized repair order and check from the insurance company for them to endorse. However, my insurance company, Geico, tells me that I don't need to do anything since the car is in their approved shop w/ estimator fully staffed on site, the check will go directly to the shop.
So I am a bit at loss, Geico is telling me I will be provided an itemized receipt upon completion of the repair and I am free to forward that to BMWFS. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before?
Second, I am told by my insurance company I am on the hook for the lease payment and they won't reimburse me, I guess I will have to fight it with the insurance company at fault for that.
Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
I think the problem may be that if your car is repaired to insurance company standards, but not necessarily BMW standards, then you will be charged when you turn in your lease. I would not simply take the insurance company's word for it; they are trying to save money. Definitely have the repair pre-approved by BMW.

Last edited by alpinweiss; 01-10-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
I need a bit of help from bimmerfest enthusiasts.
I called BMWFS to ask about my responsibility regarding the accident and I was told that I need to forward the itemized repair order and check from the insurance company for them to endorse. However, my insurance company, Geico, tells me that I don't need to do anything since the car is in their approved shop w/ estimator fully staffed on site, the check will go directly to the shop.
So I am a bit at loss, Geico is telling me I will be provided an itemized receipt upon completion of the repair and I am free to forward that to BMWFS. Has anyone dealt with this kind of situation before?
Second, I am told by my insurance company I am on the hook for the lease payment and they won't reimburse me, I guess I will have to fight it with the insurance company at fault for that.
Any ideas?
Some questions:

1. Who is the BMWFS lease contract for the BMW with - you, or the insurance company?

2. Is the insurance company going to hold you harmless for any variance when it comes time to turn in your car to BMWFS at lease end? If they say they will, get it in writing in a form acceptable to BMWFS.

The general rule with BMWFS is all repairs to the car must be performed at a BMW-certified shop that brings the car back to its condition immediately prior to the accident. If you vary from that requirement, you are basically on your own. You may not get tagged for non-certified repairs; or, you may get tagged for the non-certified repairs. You will just have to see what happens at lease turn-in.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I had my rear bumper pushed in on a back up accident and estimate came to 12K. You have way more damage than I had and mine took 4 weeks to repair with original parts and car teardown to get back to new condition and alignment with the special jigs. Did you take it to BMW or their approved shop or an independant?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sptt144 View Post
I had my rear bumper pushed in on a back up accident and estimate came to 12K. You have way more damage than I had and mine took 4 weeks to repair with original parts and car teardown to get back to new condition and alignment with the special jigs. Did you take it to BMW or their approved shop or an independant?
GEICO is trying to have OP authorize the work to be performed in one of their affiliated shops. I highly doubt the shop is BMW-certified.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

The car is going to be brought to a certified BMW collision center for repairs.

EDIT: Is there anyone who can chime in on JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ?

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-11-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
The car is going to be brought to a certified BMW collision center for repairs.
I am surprise Geico is willing to paying the higher rate. Usually they nickel and dime you to death.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
EDIT: Is there anyone who can chime in on JMK BMW in Springfield, NJ?
They are one of the best in North America. JMK is one of the shops that handles repairs for BMW NA's press fleet.

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 01-11-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I am surprise Geico is willing to paying the higher rate. Usually they nickel and dime you to death.
Oh man, this crap is turning into a giant circle jerk as if I asked for it.

Honestly, my experience with Geico is highly satisfied - I think by far they have the best customer service so far.
It is just a huge disconnect b/w what Geico conciders "restored to manufacturer specifications" and what BMWNA/BMFS dictates as "manufacturer specifications".

Anyway, the car is being towed to a BMW and Geico approved facility - verified with my local dealer that's that the facility they use for repairs.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
They are one of the best in North America. JMK is one of the shops that handles repairs for BMW NA's press fleet.
Thanks Zeichen, it's just a bit of a stretch to have it there for repairs, I found the shop that is used by my local BMW Authorized Service Center, and it happened to be also Geico approved facility with a damage adjuster on site.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Honestly, my experience with Geico is highly satisfied - I think by far they have the best customer service so far.
It is just a huge disconnect b/w what Geico conciders "restored to manufacturer specifications" and what BMWNA/BMFS dictates as "manufacturer specifications".
That's GEICO in a nutshell: Great customer service but cheap, cheap, cheap. I think you are better off with a leased car when they are your insurer because the real "owner" is another 800lb gorilla. I have no doubt the gecko has lost many fights to BMW FS over the years.

N47░ 35' 30.13" E11░ 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
That's GEICO in a nutshell: Great customer service but cheap, cheap, cheap. I think you are better off with a leased car when they are your insurer because the real "owner" is another 800lb gorilla. I have no doubt the gecko has lost many fights to BMW FS over the years.
Totally agree, if I owned the car my attitude would've been completely different.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Totally agree, if I owned the car my attitude would've been completely different.
Would it have been that much worst? If I owned the car and I was in your situation, I would have just fix it up and traded it in immediately. Since you are leasing, you are stuck with it for another 2 or 3 years. Its pretty much guarantee that car will not be as good as new. One thing I always find is that cheap insurance is always great until you have to make a large claim. Since the other part is at fault and paying for the damage, GEICO should be really helping you instead of fighting you.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Would it have been that much worst? If I owned the car and I was in your situation, I would have just fix it up and traded it in immediately. Since you are leasing, you are stuck with it for another 2 or 3 years. Its pretty much guarantee that car will not be as good as new. One thing I always find is that cheap insurance is always great until you have to make a large claim. Since the other part is at fault and paying for the damage, GEICO should be really helping you instead of fighting you.
Well cheap or not,, there is no other company within the area I am in that can offer the customer support and coverage for $2400 a year. The preferred Liberty Mutual Insurance quote is outrageous for the same coverage I have with Geico. Well so far they have been easy to deal with, the car is going into a facility where my local BMW service and sales center sends their cars for repairs.

Anyway, it could've been a lot worse from the health and financial situation perspective, and I am glad it is not so far.
I will report back on the driving/feel feedback once the car clears the repairs.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:32 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
sorry to hear, at least it wasnt your fault
Old 01-11-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35D, Former X1 and 335
Odd my experience with NY state is that if you hit a car that enters your direction of travel beyond the middle of the car then your insurance is responsible because we are a no fault state. It also means you get hit when you renew your insurance too.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:14 PM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekay07 View Post
Odd my experience with NY state is that if you hit a car that enters your direction of travel beyond the middle of the car then your insurance is responsible because we are a no fault state. It also means you get hit when you renew your insurance too.
Apparently not the case in NYC if the other party is in violation of the traffic regulation.
Edit: also for this particular reason I am seriously considering installing a video monitoring device.

Last edited by lqaddict; 01-11-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
A scarey consideration for today: Last week I ordered a set of brake calipers from a new source here in Nashua. When the parts arrived I found in large lettering on the box "OEM". Closer reading showed the brand to be called OEM and their slogan in fine print was "Original Equipment re-Manufactured". So not only was the part not an original Nissan (they were going on an Altima) part, it was a re-man!
Moral of the story, sometimes OEM doesn't mean OEM as is traditionally defined, and unless your BMW parts say BMW on them they may be OEM but not oem! You gotta constantly be on your toes.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:22 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
A scarey consideration for today: Last week I ordered a set of brake calipers from a new source here in Nashua. When the parts arrived I found in large lettering on the box "OEM". Closer reading showed the brand to be called OEM and their slogan in fine print was "Original Equipment re-Manufactured". So not only was the part not an original Nissan (they were going on an Altima) part, it was a re-man!
Moral of the story, sometimes OEM doesn't mean OEM as is traditionally defined, and unless your BMW parts say BMW on them they may be OEM but not oem! You gotta constantly be on your toes.
Hey DSX,
The itemized estimate GEICO provided has the designations for CAPA certified aftermarket and OEM re manufactured parts, the parts with no designation are OEM. I am pushing them to do the right thing and replace the parts with OEM and have that reflected on the repair order and the receipt so I can be clear in the BMWFS eyes, I don't think they are dumb enough to defraud their customer, finance company and the other party's insurance company.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
N54

Mein Auto: E60 535i M-sport
Quote:
Thanks Zeichen, it's just a bit of a stretch to have it there for repairs, I found the shop that is used by my local BMW Authorized Service Center
Good

Quote:
and it happened to be also Geico approved facility with a damage adjuster on site.
Just for future reference, as was explained to me by a 3rd party a few years ago, there is no such thing as a Geico-approved facility. Your state law probably allows you to take your car to any licensed facility, hence every such facility is approved and none are disapproved or denied.

Yes, they have their own list of preferred shops and will try to persuade/influence you to use them; I was under no legal obligation to use them.