Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 05-13-2015, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 98 M3 cabrio, 06 X5 4.4i
alarm goes off when trying to start. Please help!

Gentlemen, once again I humbly request your assistance. I have a 2006 X5 4.4 with 78k. Just this morning when I went to leave for work I attempted to start the vehicle and it would not turn over. All the lights came on in position two as usual but it did not crank at all. When I tried it a second or third time the alarm started to go off.

I just bought the vehicle in March this year and frankly I'm not sure if I have the original key. I say key because only one was provided when I purchased it. I suspect it may be an aftermarket key as the BMW emblem is missing from the center of the fob. (but I'm speculating. It very well may be the original and the emblem may have fallen off).

In any case, it has worked fine with that key for the last month or so. So I've called half a dozen dealerships and have been told everything from the key fob battery needs to be replaced, to a new key, to the vehicle battery has low voltage, to I may need a new case module.

The key still locks/unlocks the doors and arms/disarms the alarm as it did before. The battery has 12.29 volts. After removing the battery and trying another, now the instrument panel is asking me for a "code" and says, "key in ignition lock", but I'm not sure if the latter message was there before I swapped batteries. I do know it wasn't asking me for a code until the swap. The previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo, but I'm uncertain if it asking me for a radio code or if this thing requires an initialization code! The key fob battery is good as it locks the vehicle from over 20 yards away without a problem. Can anyone tell me if this vehicle requires the battery to be registered?

I must say this is my second E53 and thus far both have been an absolute electrical cluster f***! Just the night before the instrument panel was indicating "self leveling inactive". It regularly indicates there is a brake light failure when there isn't one and the fasten seat belt light stays on whenever it wants to even though all the occupant's belt are fastened! Somebody please give me a hand here or give me a match and a gallon of gas. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Where do I start? I need to get this thing going. I was down last month with a P0161 code and now this. Thank god for my M3! Please help.

Last edited by A. Rios; 05-14-2015 at 09:24 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
No, the e53 battery does not require battery registration because it doens't have an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) on the positive battery cable.

Battery registration didn't start until the next generation BMWs after the e38/e39/e46/e43. The IBS started with the e60 5 series and rolled out to every BMW model that followed. The ealry next gen BMWS (E65/E66/E90) also require battery registration although they didn't originally have the IBS...but they do have the LIN (local interconnect network) & BSD buses where the alternator, battery, and DME communicate with each other data about alternator voltage output.

The CODE warning you're getting could be a tell tale sign that something is going on with EWS and shutting down the starter/ignition/fuel etc. But where is it appearing since the MID or Nav screen was removed and aftermarket equipment installed? If it is appearing on the aftermarket radio...then it would be an aftermarket radio thing. IF it is appearing in your instrument cluster...then that could be a remnant of the old OBC's CODE feature...but again, the components that allowed you to communicate with the car's OBC is gone (unless the MID was placed in the glove box or some other location in the vehicle).

IBS INFO:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-14-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM

Thank you for the response QSilver7. Even among the dealerships, the answer to if the battery requires registration was inconsistent. I called a half dozen dealerships and four said the vehicle does require the battery be registered, while two dealerships said it did not. With your permission, I will send you a photo of my battery cables, as I don't believe I have met the criteria to be able to post a pic here (I may be mistaken). Question. Is the IBS on the positive cable as you indicated or the negative cable as indicated in the IBS info you attached? The instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel reads, "CODE - - - -" and reads, "KEY IN IGNITION LOCK". I didn't see that anything was placed in the glove compartment.

The dealerships have also been inconsistent when I asked a relatively very simple question like, "What should the battery voltage be?". When I mentioned my voltage was 12.29, two dealerships said I was within the correct range while another two said it should be 14, 14.5v. I don't know what to believe anymore. Any clarification would really be a great help. Thank you again for your attention to this matter.

Last edited by A. Rios; 05-14-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
12.29 is too low if your checking voltage while x is running.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 PM

It's NOT running. I can't get it to crank over. 12.29 was the voltage just sitting there in the driveway.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
what is it at when idling?
Old 05-15-2015, 08:28 AM

I couldn't tell you what the voltage of the battery is at idle because I cant get the vehicle to start. The engine won't even turn over (crank). When it was running I had no need to test it. I didn't put a volt meter on it until it failed to start. At that point, it read 12.29v just sitting there dead in the water so to speak.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rios View Post
..QSilver7... Question. Is the IBS on the positive cable as you indicated or the negative cable as indicated in the IBS info you attached?

The instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel reads, "CODE - - - -" and reads, "KEY IN IGNITION LOCK". I didn't see that anything was placed in the glove compartment.
I apologize...the IBS is on the negative battery cable of the BMW models from the e60 generation BMWs up...again this doesn't include the e53 because we don't have the MOST, LIN, or BSD bus systems that the newer generation BMWs have. We have the older Can, Diagnostic, I, K, M, & P buses. We do have a BST (battery safety terminal) on the positve battery cable...but that is a safety feature that disconnects power in an accident...a pyrotechnic explosion occurs in the BST that separates the pos battery cable run coming from the front of the vehicle to the battery...but still keeps power to unlock the doors and turn on the interior lights.

If CODE _ _ _ _ is appearing on your instrument cluster...then there's a 99.9% chance that your total shut down (nothing happens when you turn the ignition to the start position)...is due to EWS shut down of starter/ignition/fuel...and you need to enter the 4 digit code that the OBC is asking for.

This is why a stay away from aftermarket installs where the MID or Nav screen has been removed...especially if you don't know how the work was done. You've lost a way to communicate with the car's OBC.

If memory serves me correct...when owners get into a similar situation where the battery has gone flat, and they get this CODE message where they didn't actually enter a CODE themselves...typing in 1234 or something simple will usually deactivate the CODE.

I wonder if you disconnect the negative battery cable for 5 minutes (at least 5...not 4:59...or anything less). Reconnect the negative battery cable, then turn the ignition to position 1 (not 2 or 3)...if you see a 10 minute countdown appear in the cluster display (instead of CODE - - - -)...if the countdown continues to 00:00...try to then see if you can start the vehicle.
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)

Last edited by QSilver7; 05-15-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Thanks again. I will try this tonight. I will be damned if I'm going to spend $1500 at the stealership for a new EWS. I will bypass the EWS altogether first or install a used DME, EWS and ignition switch from a used X5 first. bimmermerchants.com offers used kits with all 3 components for $250 and RPM Motosports offers EWS bypass kits, but I would of course much rather fix this the right way if it's not cost prohibitive. I found some software which will allow me to "align" the dme and ews but not to "code" it. Any ideas? When I bought the car I was also provide with the old radio, which I could attempt to reinstall as there is no way for me to input any code without it that I am aware of (but before it will/would accept anything I would need it's code, which was not provided. TIS doest have it either. I really appreciate all your help. I'll keep you posted.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM

The OBC CODE is not a static number (same number used every time). It is ANY number you want it to be between 0000-9999. So there is no code number to give you or share from BMW or any previous owner...unless the last erson with a key to the car entered a number...but if I've forgotten, forgive me...but haven't yiu started the vehilce with no problems until the battery went flat?

If the latter is true...then some past threads were the battery went flat and CODE appeared when no CODE had been entered...they haved entered generic numbers like 1111, 0000, or 1234 and it worked.

I don't know which old set up you had MID or Nav...but you can see the CODE info from the owners manual below if you have the MID (multi-informational display.. In this setup the radio is in the in-dash CD or cassette player...but the MID is were the OBC,clock, audio, ohne, and DSP are controlled...where you start/stop/set/reset/etc...any of the data/info for those components the MID controls:

(SOLD)