Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-21-2015, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: X5
E53 Front Suspension Noise

Replaced front Sway Bar Links. Still have clunking noise going over small bumps. Could the Sway Bar Bushing be worn?
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2015, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto:
I recently just did this last Friday evening.
Trust me when I tell you this or you will eventually have bigger costly issues. It could be your shocks but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not. More likely you need to replace your ball joints and possibly tie rod ends. Sounds like they are worn out. My x5 was doing the same but I didn't catch it in time. The front end joints were so worn they allowed too much play in the drive system. I had to replace my transfer bc of this. This allows your front drive shafts to move a little further than it needs to and puts it in a bind. The result is it breaks the splines on the drive shaft. Eventually it will strip out. Hopefully you are not hearing a clicking noise yet. Must noticeable when accelerating in a turn. It doesn't take much to notice. Take the vehicle to a shop to have the front-end evaluated.
I bought the complete kit and replaced all my front-end ball joints. Installed them and took it in for an alignment. After 2 transfer case and 2 drive shafts later it runs like new.
Don't let anyone tell you the joints won't cause the drive shaft and transfer splines to strip off. I proved them wrong. Please post if you find anything out. Good luck
Old 01-02-2016, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Follow up to e53 x5 front suspension noise

Just to follow up and, hopefully, save some members a few bucks. Per Pelican Part Tech forum, I jacked the car up and tried to wobble the front wheel and tire to see if there was any play. I found none and therefore felt the tie rods and ball joints were okay. For less than $50 and 45 minutes of labor I replaced both Front Sway Bar Bushings. The problem is fixed! I had 180,000+ miles on the original bushings and they were worn. Hopefully, this points another member with the same issue in the right direction.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search