Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i
2007 Z4 hands free will not work!

Hey guys, I just bought a 2007 BMW Z4 3.0i automatic. It has the r/t button and the hands free button on the steering wheel, it also has the microphone on the steering column. But when I press either one of the buttons nothing happens. I have tried many different patterns of hitting the buttons and different things with my phones blue tooth and I just can't get anything to happen. Please help!!!
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
Have you paired your phone with the BMW bluetooth? It won't work until you do. Note that BMW uses different passkeys so old standbys like "0000" won't work. The passkey should be on a card that was tucked into your owner's manual. It is also printed on the bluetooth unit itself which is under the carpet in the trunk along the bulkhead between the passenger compartment. The dealer can retrieve the code for you via the computer, but may charge a fee - mine did it for free when I was there for other service.

To start the pairing, you hit the R/T button immediately after turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

Once you get it paired, I hate to say it but you are probably going to be disappointed with the voice quality - especially with the top down.

Last edited by keeton; 01-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 3.0i
I used your advice with hitting the r/t button right after starting and it finally turned it on and said "tel" but my phones bluetooth never found the car!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 3.0si
If you google "bmw z4 bluetooth pairing" you will find step by step instructions and even some videos on going through the process.

Now, one big question: Does your Z4 have bluetooth installed?

After posting my first reply, I came home and dug up a 2007 Z4 brochure. It appeared that bluetooth was optional and was included if you got BMW Assist or the Premium Package. Does your vehicle have an SOS button under a clear plastic cover at the very rear of your console (that's BMW Assist)? If not, you may not have bluetooth and the whole discussion is moot.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0 Si
If your car has Bluetooth, the radio display should change to "searching...." when you press the R/T button.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
I just picked up a new Galaxy Note II this week. I set the Note's bluetooth to be visible to other devices and told it to scan. It saw the car and asked for the code to pair the device. Done.

It should be that simple.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams