Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM
BimmerBoy

Send a message via Skype™ to amandeep18feb
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2013 - Sports
Connecting my Ipod/Iphone.

I was wondering if I need anything to connect my ipod or iphone with the sound sytem in the car? or The car is already equipped with such provisions?
I am expecting my new car this week so wanted to be prepared before it gets here
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandeep18feb View Post
I was wondering if I need anything to connect my ipod or iphone with the sound sytem in the car? or The car is already equipped with such provisions?
I am expecting my new car this week so wanted to be prepared before it gets here
The answer is "yes", but the degree of integration varies significantly.

You have a 2013 so you need either the Technology Package or the standalone option called BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB to have the most robust connectivity via the white Apple cord and Bluetooth.

If you have neither the package or the option, you will have a "Y" cable that comes with the car that will enable you to get basic iPod/iPhone audio into the system but you won't be able to get album art, robust navigation, or Bluetooth streaming audio.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 PM
BimmerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The answer is "yes", but the degree of integration varies significantly.

You have a 2013 so you need either the Technology Package or the standalone option called BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB to have the most robust connectivity via the white Apple cord and Bluetooth.

If you have neither the package or the option, you will have a "Y" cable that comes with the car that will enable you to get basic iPod/iPhone audio into the system but you won't be able to get album art, robust navigation, or Bluetooth streaming audio.

BJ
I have the Nav and BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB.
What is this -> http://www.amazon.com/iDRIVE-ADAPTER...dp/B003P6DGMK/ ?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I have the Nav and BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB.
What is this ->
That is the "Y" cable that you do not need. That is for F30 owners without the Technology Package and/or without the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option.

Because you have BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB, you will plug your iOS device straight into the USB port in the armrest using the white Apple cable and get full integration.

When you want to, you can enable Bluetooth audio and stream music to iDrive in a fully integrated manner (ie Pandora app streams music and ID3 tags, album art over USB).

You'll be all set when the car arrives. You'll merely need to learn how everything works. Others who don't have that option will have a lot of questions as to why so many things don't work and they won't like the answer.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 01-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:49 PM
BimmerBoy

Quote:
That is the "Y" cable that you do not need. That is for F30 owners without the Technology Package and/or without the BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB option.

Because you have BMW Assist With Enhanced Bluetooth & USB, you will plug your iOS device straight into the USB port in the armrest using the white Apple cable and get full integration.

When you want to, you can enable Bluetooth audio and stream music to iDrive in a fully integrated manner (ie Pandora app streams music and ID3 tags).

You'll be all set when the car arrives. You'll merely need to learn how everything works. Others who don't have that option will have a lot of questions as to why so many things don't work and they won't like the answer.

BJ
Thanks Buddy!
I will be keeping my ipod in the car..
Old 01-07-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks Buddy!
I will be keeping my ipod in the car..
Happy to help.

That's my setup- I keep a beater iPod Touch in the armrest 24/7 and never use my iPhone 5 for that purpose. I have BMW Apps but find that I don't need Facebook and Twitter in that manner and so I don't use that option at all for now, the hope being that in the future BMW comes out with a better series of apps with better implementation.

So the iPod Touch has 20,000 songs and 100's of Playlilsts in there at my fingertips and the iPhone 5 connects to Bluetooth for phone, texts, and Siri.

BJ

Old 01-08-2013, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: 528i +328xi
The 2013 will only recognize an ipod touch or later player using the white apple cable in the armrest usb port. Never looked to see if you can use the y cable in a car with the enhanced Bluetooth option, I'll check my car later.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by etsok1 View Post
The 2013 will only recognize an ipod touch or later player using the white apple cable in the armrest usb port. Never looked to see if you can use the y cable in a car with the enhanced Bluetooth option, I'll check my car later.
It does recognize an iPod Classic (the 160GB one) through the white Apple cable because I tried it on the test drive and it worked fine.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 01-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Happy to help.

That's my setup- I keep a beater iPod Touch in the armrest 24/7 and never use my iPhone 5 for that purpose. I have BMW Apps but find that I don't need Facebook and Twitter in that manner and so I don't use that option at all for now, the hope being that in the future BMW comes out with a better series of apps with better implementation.

So the iPod Touch has 20,000 songs and 100's of Playlilsts in there at my fingertips and the iPhone 5 connects to Bluetooth for phone, texts, and Siri.

BJ
This is how I'm going to set mine up.

My beater iPod is really old though. Never had a need to replace it. It's a classic alright. I just hope it's compatible. If not, I'll just get an iTouch. No biggie...
Old 01-08-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
This is how I'm going to set mine up.

My beater iPod is really old though. Never had a need to replace it. It's a classic alright. I just hope it's compatible. If not, I'll just get an iTouch. No biggie...
The Classic will work though I find the Touch to be faster as it has no drive to spool up. My Classic either fried or froze on me in my E90's armrest after 2 years of good service. The iTouch has been flawless.

Also, remember, the iPod Touch can be sync'd wirelessly over wi-fi and if you have it configured properly just docking your car in the garage docks your iPod too and it'll download all it's music and updates without effort from iTunes just by pulling into the garage.

BJ

Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
The Classic will work though I find the Touch to be faster as it has no drive to spool up. My Classic either fried or froze on me in my E90's armrest after 2 years of good service. The iTouch has been flawless.
If the iTouch could hold 160GB or better of data, I'd be all over it.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 740li
Mein Auto: BMW 740li 2006
Hi there, is there some way to connect iPhone to 2006 BMW 740Li?
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Send a message via ICQ to 740li
Mein Auto: BMW 740li 2006
Hello Everyone, is there someway to connect iPhone to 2006 750li?